What do you think?

maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
edited April 2006 in Hardware
So i bought this RAM(Patriot 1gb PC3200 Low Latency (2-3-2-5) memory) from Madball and it doesn't seem to want to work in my computer. I have the ASUS K8VSE-Deluxe MB with VIA chipset. Does low latency ram not work well with VIA chipsets or is there something I could try to get it to work?

Comments

• MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited April 2006
    This ram worked great with two Nforce chipsets, but it wouldn't work with my Via KT600 chipset motherboard. Anybody have any ideas for maximus to try?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Have you tried loosening the timings and putting the voltage 0.1v higher?

Other than that it may just be incompatable with the chipset (VIA based).
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited April 2006
    what do you think i should set the timings too? not good at that kind of stuff
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    VIA - brings back memories (not good ones either) of the Via chipset KT7/A/R boards on which I cut my teeth learning to build computers. VIA - never again. Too many bad experiences. Moving from VIA to Intel and Nvidia (Nforce) chipsets was such a blessing.
    edited April 2006
    so you think it's the chipset and nothing i could do about it?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    That might be it - incompatibility. I would try re-installing the motherboard drivers. Maybe that will do it. Also, as recommended above, set the DRAM timings all to low. If that works, bump them up until instability is present again, then down a notch for stability.
    edited April 2006
    do you think maybe the CAS Latency has anything to do with it? right now it's set at 2
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    If you let it set auto what do you get?
    I would set it to 'relaxed' or 'slow' or what ever option you have. If you go manually I would start with 4-4-4-8 and go from there.

Ah yes, I was rebuilding a KT7A the other day. What a PIA, but it still runs.
    edited April 2006
    ok thanks for the information, i can't tell you right now because i'm at work but when i get home i will try this out, thanks for the advice guys
    edited April 2006
    "Failsafe Defauls" should do nicely.

Or try something like 2.5-3-3-8 then run memtest.
    edited April 2006
    could you hook me up with the link to memtest
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited April 2006
    edited April 2006
    Sorry I didn't post in the earlier thread. :sad2:

MemTest-86 v3.2
    edited April 2006
    thanks guys, i'll try it out when i get home
    edited April 2006
    OK seems to be working ok at the 2.5-3-3-8 setting, i'm going to run prime95 all night until i wake up to check for stability. i'll let you guys know the outcome
    edited April 2006
    seeems to have run stable the last couple of hours.
    edited April 2006
    maximusbad wrote:
    seeems to have run stable the last couple of hours.
    :cheers:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Cool stuff.. some chipsets can get picky about memory timings.

Once you are confident that is working stable, I would actually try a couple of things to improve performance:

As mtgoat mentioned, try to increase the VDIMM a bit (try 2.7 or 2.8V). You can try timings of 2-3-3-5 or something around there. It is more likely the TRP value that it did not like, rather than CAS.