so, what do you think of the revolution's official name?

edited May 2006 in Gaming
for those of you who havent heard, the upcoming nintendo console, codenamed nintendo revolution, was officially named today. the name:

Wii.

thats right. wii. as in "we". now i love nintendo, but i think theyve gone off the deep end with this one...i think theyre going to come in last in the next gen race, not only because of the name, but because a lot of people arent going to spring for the gimmicky controller deal...at least they still have the ds.

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2006
    You know... it made me sad at first, but then I thought about it. It basically covers everything that a good marketing campaign should:

It gets stuck in peoples' heads (via oddness or the already innumerable jokes)
    It's got a double meaning (a name AND a symbol for togetherness)
    It's clever. I mean, did you watch the video? How the controller is actually the "i" and how it's shown being used is, well, brilliant. And it's a cool-looking logo to boot.

Basically it comes down to this: Nintendo is bloody well banking on this controller. They need to appeal to every possible person they can. As has been said dozens of times, "Revolution" (while being a kick-ass name) probably seems a little too "in-your-face" for most casual gamers.

I'm pumped. You bet your ass I'll be waiting in line to get this thing, whether they call it the Revolution, the Wii, the Tango, the Rainbow, or the Chocolate Cake Of Doom.

(and because, admit it, it's a funny name, here you go)
    MarioWii2.jpg
  • edited April 2006
    I thought Revolution was it's offical name. "Wii" doesn't mean anything at all (in english)... it's just a noise. Couldn't they at least come up with a name for the American/EU version that at least had a meaning?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Nintendo will put players more in touch with their games... And with each other. By playing with their Wii. Might as well be the Nintendo Third Place Againβ„’.
  • edited April 2006
    From Gamespot:
    One industry analyst who spoke in the condition of anonymity said flat out the choice was wrong, for a number of reasons. "It's a sound that doesn't exist in Japanese, so Japanese people will struggle to pronounce it."

I can hear it now.

"RRRRR..... RRRRRwww... RRRRRRRRRRRRewwEEEEEEEE"

*Snicker*
    Acknowledging that Nintendo has had code names for their consoles before--Dolphin became the GameCube, for instance. But this time, the analyst said, "Nintendo let the code name gain a little too much currency: people were used to it, and it was widely accepted as the console's name."

"Now they have a stupid-sounding manufactured name that probably wouldn't have tested well with English speakers if they'd bothered doing any market research," the analyst said. "And they're going to try to use it to replace an evocative, well-accepted name that people have been using for well over a year. Bad, stupid move."

I couldn't have said it better myself.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I'll still buy it, and end up with a piece of paper tape on it that says "Wii will rock you"
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    If I get one, I will have a Nintendo Revolution. I refuse to call a piece of home theater equipment "Wii".
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Agreed. I WILL have one, but I will never say to a friend "You want to play with my Wii?"
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    That sound does too exist in Japanese. Whoever wrote that is misinformed.

It's romanized as Uii in Japanese.

There is a vowel sound U: う

There is a vowel sound I (pronounced like a long E in english): い

うい would be "we" in japanese (phonetically. it means nothing in japanese)
  • rykoryko new york
    edited April 2006
    as long as they still have the download any nintendo game ever thing working...should be interesting.

what's in a name anyway......besides a failed marketing campaign.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    If the console is physically small, I could get away with saying "Going to go play with my wee Wii" in public ;D.

-drasnor :fold:
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    Just because most people today are graphics whores, the wii will be in last place in this generation of gaming consoles. From what I've been hearing, its a little more powerful than xbox. Its strong point is being able to download every single nintendo game ever made. Personally, I'm gonna wait til ps3 comes out before I buy any of the new systems.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Its strong point is being able to download every single nintendo game ever made.
    No kidding? That means I could play Snowboard Kids again!
    edited April 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    No kidding? That means I could play Snowboard Kids again!

its ONLY point is being able to download. With all that crazy japanese technology I dont understand why nintendo is so far behind. Like I said earlier, its basically like a beefed up xbox.

Then again, its supposed to be really cheap compared to 360 and ps3. I heard its supposed to start around $150-200, which is probably the lowest price of any console ever. PS1 started at $250, n64 was $300, dreamcast was $300, ps2 and xbox were $300, 360 is $300-400, and ps3 is around $400-500.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Which is exactly what an XboX 360 is.
    edited April 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Which is exactly what an XboX 360 is.

I mean its just a little better than xbox. The 360 is alot more powerful than the original xbox. The original xbox has 64mb's ram, and a 733mhz p3 cpu. The 360 has 512mb's of ram, a tri-core 3.2ghz cpu, and a very nice gpu comparable to the 7900GTX.

btw this is the wii controller
    Rev5.jpg
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    With all that crazy japanese technology I dont understand why nintendo is so far behind.
    According to Nintendo, the whole point of their new gaming console is to be just that - a pure gaming console that does not pretend to be all things to all people. Face it, the new game consoles are morphing into computers. Nintendo is standing its ground in the race for ever more full-featured (bloated?), more expensive consoles...

or that is just Nintendo's face-saving marketing to deflect attention to their inability to keep up with Sony and Microsoft in technology and market share?
    edited April 2006
    Yea but people arent looking for old technology. The thing is basically a gamecube in a different case, with different controllers.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2006
    The ONLY thing I don't think I'll like about the controllers is the stability. I mean... remember those split PS1 controllers? They were hard as hell to play on, mostly because you couldn't retain a firm enough grip. Hopefully these are different, though. However, I wish either the wire were longer/wireless/most solidly connected.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    The name is just... plain stupid to be honest. With all urination jokes aside it just sounds moronic. I mean, imagine going into a shop and saying "Hi, do you stock games for the Ninteno Wii?". I mean even excluding the whole "wee wee" thing it it just a flat out bad name. They really should have stuck with the name Revolution. It's like they don't want people to buy one.
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited May 2006
    I can't wait to play with Nintendo's We....err I mean Wii...bah whatever.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I'll be buying one... I wanna play fun games, getting tired of amazing graphics with ****y game play. The name was made to create hype... everyone's talking and making fun of it, but most the people I know want this new console despite the name, and they know it as Wii now. Any publicity is good publicity and I really think Nintendo has a winner on it's hands.