Takin a point hit

gtghmgtghm New
edited May 2006 in Folding@Home
Hey guys, I tihnk that my 250gb WD JB drive just crapped out so until I get it figured my dual HT Xeons are down. :(

It's goin chunka chunka chunka, not a good sound....

I'll get her fixed soon...

"g"

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Hard Drive problems can be sooooo much fun... :-/

Good luck, "g". :)
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2006
    Ehh my 80 gig wd is dying on me :(
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited May 2006
    I'm not sure what way to go.

Time for a little upgrade... So I'm lookin out there at EIDE drives and notice that I can get a ton of storage for little money.

Currently I'm running 2 WD JB 100gb in Raid 0 and my now dead 250gb WD JB drive. I have a 5400rpm 80gb dirve that I use for junk storage...

I have the 3ware 4 port IDE raid card works great. But now I am in a bit of a quandry... for like 169+tax each I can get 2 of the 250gb Segate drives and raid 0 them and use the 100gb drives for other stuff...

Lately I have been getting into video and burning my own DVDs. I just got a Sony mini DV HDV camcorder so I want to gear my rig up more for Video now.

The only thing that bothers me is that I really need to upgrade my Video card I think, it is a Gforce 3 TI 500 I tihnk its only the 64meg not the 128...

So would it be better to just get one of the fastest biggest drives and not riad it and by a better video card.

What would really be nice is to upgrade the Video card and get the 250gb Segates...

I would love to figure out how to turn this thing into a media center pc and would it be worth it?

Thanks,
    "g"
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Personally, unless you have a lot of data you need instant access to, I would go for the video card and a lesser HD. You can always burn a stack of DVD's and keep things relatively handy that way.

I collect old radio shows and at one point had had nearly 200GB worth of them sitting idly on secondary drives. Since most of them are low bitrate mp3's, I literally had more audio than I could listen to in a lifetime all sitting a click away.

After an experience like you've just suffered, I decided to copy enough shows over to my new HD to keep me busy for a while and let the rest reside on my numerous backup discs. Having smaller (and fewer) HD's in the computer was nice from a heat standpoint as well.

The other thing you need to consider is how soon you will be making a major upgrade to the whole computer. I wouldn't spend big money on a PATA HD or a nice AGP video card if I was hoping to replace the whole shootin' match in a year (or less) anyway.

Finally, I still have old 4.3GB through 30GB drives which test 100% A-OK. I think that the tighter data-density of todays whopping big drives is definitely a factor in their early demise. I'd predict that a lot of the new monster drives available today (400GB+) are going to see a high failure rate, particularly among the first generation models.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    At least Seagate has done a sensable thing. Their new 7200.10 is mechanically like the .9s. They only changed other parts This should reduce the risks of the new drives. Today if I needed a PATA drive I would buy a 7200.9.

I had an old WD die on me recently. Eventually age catches up with all of them.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited May 2006
    Well I went for the 400gb 16mb cache 7200rpm Segate and an All-wonder ATI X800 XT 256DDR3. Nice card and Drive.

Sucks that I lost a drive. I got it from Newegg in aug of 03. It was a WD JB 250gb 8meg cache drive.

When I input the SN into the warranty tool it tells me that there is no warranty on the drive because it is out of region. So appearently Newegg sold me a grey market drive, I know that I did not know that I was buying a grey market drive otherwise I would have bought it somewhere else. It was supposed to be a 3 year warranty and if the drive was sold to me as an "in region" drive I would be elegiable for a replacement. I have written Newegg to see if they will cover it but I am not holding my breath....

Anyhoo, looks like I am back up for now, but my point production will be sperattic while I reconfigure my system and reinstall everything....

"g"