Switching to Mac How-To-Guide @ Futurelooks

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Science & Tech
Now that you have decided to take the plunge and are "Switching to Mac" what are your next steps to getting your PC stuff over to your new Mac?

Source: Futurelooks

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    1 - Perform a frontal lobotomy.

2 - Durr....
  • edited June 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    1 - Perform a frontal lobotomoy.

2 - Durr....

You dirty rat, you beat me to it...
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    How to induce necessary mental state required for proper use of a MAC.
    1. Remove under garments
    2. Cut off female end of extension cord
    3. Moisten testicles
    4. Plug in extension cord
    5. Apply severed end of extension cord to moistened testicles...
    6. Repeat Step 5 as necessary until desired effect is reached or until unconscious.

(Procedure written by QCH2002)
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Aww come on, MacOS isn't that bad, though I will admit that anyone willing to fork over the cash for an actual Mac is out of their mind. I like my Macs pre-owned.

-drasnor :fold:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I have no problem with macOS, I have a problem with their pos hardware and how expensive it is. MacOS would actually make an assload of money if Jobbs would pull his head out, and realize that people dont want to pay $$$ for mediocre hardware and a decent os.

but he wont, because that OS is the only selling point for the hardware. If you could put the os on any computer, no one in their right mind would buy one from them, unless they actaully started something called "competive pricing" but I guess the apple freaks Think Different so they just jack the prices.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Uhhh. apple DOES make an assload of money ;)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Evil Jobs!
    edited June 2006
    but they could make a super ass load of money. Cause I bet >50% of the people using windows would switch.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    but they could make a super ass load of money. Cause I bet >50% of the people using windows would switch.

I would have to disagree. In my experience people tend to stick with what they know, so you would find that it would be alot less than that, I would say <5%. And I couldnt see any corporate networks changing over, too much hassle.
    edited June 2006
    Uhhh. apple DOES make an assload of money ;)
    On iPods.

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    drasnor wrote:
    On iPods.

Indeed.
    Apple shipped 836,000 Macintosh® units and 2,016,000 iPods during the quarter, representing a 6 percent increase in CPU units and a 500 percent increase in iPods over the year-ago quarter.

Source: Apple
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    ... "CPU units"?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    NIC card.
  • edited June 2006
    i have enjoyed using my imac 20" much more than i have ever enjoyed using a pc...... for a £1000 show me where i could get a 20" screen with a computer inside that is less than two inches thick... Its all a matter of preference. If you want a dull tower pc then go for it... Its nice to have used both and know which i prefer.
    edited June 2006
    -animal- wrote:
    i have enjoyed using my imac 20" much more than i have ever enjoyed using a pc...... for a £1000 show me where i could get a 20" screen with a computer inside that is less than two inches thick... Its all a matter of preference. If you want a dull tower pc then go for it... Its nice to have used both and know which i prefer.

Nor does it have the processing power that a "dull tower" does. Apple just makes stuff look pretty, and if you want to pay for pretty hardware, than that's fine, I will stick with hardware that is fast. And dont say that the mac processors, nad shoddy hardware are fast, why do you think they switched to intel processors, they were too slow. And they still arent the fastest.
    edited June 2006
    Airborn, have you ever used a modern mac?
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Apple will never sell me one of their computers based on the hardware. To me, their software is their one and only selling point. They'd start making money from me if they started porting software to Windows.
    edited June 2006
    Airborn, have you ever used a modern mac?

Yes. It was decent I have to admit. But it just wasnt what I expected for that much money. I feel that a pc runs faster. The only thing I like about them in the first place is their os and some thier software. Other than that, its just overpriced hardware to be truthful, their really isnt any other way to put it, unless you are this apple fanboy that I ran accross that said Apple hardware was "special". I nodded my head.

Dont get me wrong, I know they arent slow, they are a moddern pc, so they will perform pretty good, but for bleeding edge performance, I have yet to see it out of a mac. I', sure it is there, but how much would it cost? $$$$$$$$
    edited June 2006
    by the numbers, of course Apple's hardware isn't worth the premium price... But you get something other than just hardware when you buy a mac. You get precision engineering, extremely high end customer service, and an all around pleasant experience. Taking apart a mac is sort of ... fun. It's so well designed and put together it's just kind of a joy to work on. There's just something to them, I can't put a finger on it. I am very experienced with both platforms, and I just like my mac a lot. I'll definitely buy another one.
    edited June 2006
    by the numbers, of course Apple's hardware isn't worth the premium price... But you get something other than just hardware when you buy a mac. You get precision engineering, extremely high end customer service, and an all around pleasant experience. Taking apart a mac is sort of ... fun. It's so well designed and put together it's just kind of a joy to work on. There's just something to them, I can't put a finger on it. I am very experienced with both platforms, and I just like my mac a lot. I'll definitely buy another one.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I've been part of a tag team that replaced a hard drive in a G4 iBook and I can tell you right now that out of the score and a half screws that came out to remove that particular component we had some left over when all was said and done though there was a little extra blood from the spring-loaded razor blades mounted in the "no-zones" of all Macintoshes, sweat from exertion, and tears of frustration left in the chassis at the end.

G3 and G4 chassis mount passive heatsinks that are prone to overheating. I'm going to be milling an active heatsink for my G3 soon but the combined height of heatsink and fancan't exceed 2cm because Apple thoughtfully placed the 5.25" drive bay directly over the processor. Most aftermarket heatsinks have offset fans with a hot plate over the processor and a HSF hanging off the side of the socket somewhere. Now that's what I call good design. To be fair, the G3 and G4 cases are easy to get into but an inordinate amount of guts have to be removed to install a new optical drive. Oh, and let's not forget that Apple machines won't work with just any old drive, only ones that have Apple-provided drive firmware or drives with revisions "close enough". Perusing the compatibility database over at xlr8yourmac is something I've never had to do on any other platform.

Did I mention why I was pulling the hard drive out of the G4 iBook? It was because the original hard drive had been replaced with a newer, larger, cheaper drive after the owner wanted more space but didn't want to pay the extortion fees the Apple store charges for hard drives and installation. Well, several months later the notebook suffered a logic board failure (that's motherboard for you PC folks). Upon recepit of the laptop, the Apple techs disassembled it only to find the non-Apple hard drive whereupon they sent it back nearly six weeks later, unrepaired. Additionally, there were missing screws when we cracked it open so the Apple techs had lost a few as well as they were putting it back together. Now that's quality service.

I could go on, but I won't. I suppose your mileage may vary is an apt description of Apple.

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I mean sure, the OS may be nice, but I'm just against paying their extortionate prices for the hardware. You're paying for the name, not for what you're physically getting. For a tech that is pretty much blasphemy.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    ...There's just something to them, I can't put a finger on it...
    Oooohhhh! It's just so...so...cool! They are probably already fitting you for your black turtleneck and brewing your French Roast coffee. :nudge:
    edited June 2006
    I'm talking about post G4 Powermacs, dras. NO laptop is fun to work on.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Mine was! Or maybe it was just the result that was so fun. ;)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    There's just something to them, I can't put a finger on it. I am very experienced with both platforms, and I just like my mac a lot. I'll definitely buy another one.
    This coming from the upcoming yuppie with a SAAB!!! ;D

j/k, Brian.... I hate because I am scared to try a MAC... It's so different from a PC that is makes me feel like a noob.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    This coming from the upcoming yuppie with a SAAB!!!

Brian's going to be wearing a turtleneck and a beret when we show up to the LAN. It's the next logical step!
    edited June 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Oooohhhh! It's just so...so...cool! They are probably already fitting you for your black turtleneck and brewing your French Roast coffee. :nudge:
    20020712h.gif
    :crazy:
    I'm talking about post G4 Powermacs, dras. NO laptop is fun to work on.
    So only the G5's? I haven't ever had the chance to crack one open; the guys at Frys and CompUSA are pretty good about having steel security cable going into all their orifices. See, when you said "new macs" I thought you were talking about the colored ones. At any rate, what you say may be true but I have no way of knowing. The Apple tech support is true though since that was a recent experience.

edited June 2006
    Like I said, OS is kick ass, I like the UI, and I just wish they would get a mouse with 2 god damned buttons!!! what is their problem? They have to be different and use a f***ed up mouse design. I get tired of holding the apple key or what ever its called to use a right button click. WTF?

And like I said, they may be good, but for what you pay, they better sure as hell be at least adequate. I've used many macs, and in the year book room at my school, that is all we have except for one pc, we have all imac g3's (SLOOOOWWW) and then they try and get me to use photoshop on them hah hah hah, now thats an experience. But I love tiger and the way it runs, I wish I could run it on my pc. But

"pc hardware is so inferior to apple hardware that it cant run Mac OS,"

translation

"Mac OS is the only way we can force people to buy our POS hardware at exorbinate ammount of money$$$!!!"
    edited June 2006
    They've moved over to two button mice as of about 6 months ago.
    edited June 2006
    They've moved over to two button mice as of about 6 months ago.

[strike]finaly?[/strike] I mean, o good. That is nice to know [strike]that they finally woke up and smelled the two buttoned mouse[/strike]