Bios Chip?

HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Science & Tech
Anyone know where I can get a bios chip for an Abit AN7 nForce 2 Ultra 400, Socket A Motherboard? Either that or someplace i can send it to flash/update/repair it. http://www.microcenter.com/byos/byos_single_product_results.phtml?product_id=234843
It's got a Phoenix bios chip in it.
I put a system together with this mobo and got into the bios and reset it for cd boot first and a couple other little things. Nothing important changed.
I accidentally turned it off before it reset the bios. Some things were going on here and distracted me. I thought it had already restarted and hit the power button. It gave me a 1 sec flashed warning not to turn it off while the bios was reseting. By that time it was too late because it was set to instant off on the power button. I tried cmos reset, battery out, to no avail. Let it set overnight with battery out, put it back in cleared cmos, and still won't boot. Everything on the pc is running, but it doesn't give me anything on the monitor. The monitor just just goes to the powersaving mode. So, I guess the bios chip is locked up.
I contacted Abit, gave them the whole story by e-mail tech support and they just sent back a generic e-mail telling me to try out the forums for help. :mean:
I know I shot myself in the foot on this one, and am probably going to have to buy a new mobo. This sucks. I waited 4-5 mnths getting all the parts together and now this.

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2006
    Rma the board to abit if its still under warranty.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Not an option. it's an old refurbished board. Discontinued product.
    It only cost me $30. But it just kills me to throw it away and have to buy another board. You can barely find decent socket A mobo's now. And I'm not wasting money on pcchips,biostar,jetway or any of those off brands.
    edited August 2006
    Is the bios socketed ?.

If so you could do a hotswap and flash.

edit: Heres a tutorial if you want to try that.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Mmmnnn, Thnx GrayFox,
    I'll look into that if I can't get it flashed somewhere or replaced by buying another one.
    Tmod had some good stuff on bios trouble shooting over at IC.
    I think they removed it all now though.
    Haven't seen him around in a long time either.
    Thnx again friend, I appreciate the info.
    edited August 2006
    No problem that tutorial saved one of my spare board from the garbage last year.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    If the hot flash doesn't work or you are unable to try that procedure, contact Tmod, an S-M member. He runs a BIOS chip replacement and flashing service. His reputation is very good and his prices are very reasonable. He is sanctioned by the S-M ownership to conduct limited business through Short-Media.

This thread is a bit old, but the information therein is still valid.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    it seems like you might be better off trying to buy an older baord off ebay..it couldnt be more than 30 bucks...
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    If the hot flash doesn't work or you are unable to try that procedure, contact Tmod, an S-M member. He runs a BIOS chip replacement and flashing service. His reputation is very good and his prices are very reasonable. He is sanctioned by the S-M ownership to conduct limited business through Short-Media.

This thread is a bit old, but the information therein is still valid.

Thnx Leo, That was one of the threads I was looking for.
    I also found a site through one of Tmod's threads.
    They do replacement and flashing. Very reasonable too, I might add.
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    it seems like you might be better off trying to buy an older baord off ebay..it couldnt be more than 30 bucks...
    Yea Wugs, I'm checking for another Abit NF7-V2 to go with the one I have running an Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2274 MHz. If the bios chip flashing doesn't go well.
    Think I could OC the Athlon XP 3200+ a little on that board too.
    Not sure how well it will OC on the AN7 if I get the bios chip fixed.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    www.badflash.com should be able to help.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    www.badflash.com should be able to help.

Thnx prime,
    Cool site. I'll bookmark those guys for reference.
  • edited August 2006
    SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM
    Please spam here mobilephone_saver@hotmail.com
    and here mobilephone_saver@hotmail.com
    and here mobilephone_saver@hotmail.com

///edit///
    Keep your crap off our forums
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    spam.gifspam0cm.gif1403.gif
    edited August 2006
    Cluebat time yet again.
    cluebat.jpg

...Whoever hosts this server really has to start banning some dns servers and ip ranges... The spammers are starting to become a problem.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Spam isnt coming from one place or even a few places, its coming from EVERYWHERE

Keeps us in a job (even if we dont get paid ;) ) Trust me, you guys see less that 5% of what we clean up but thats what we are here for :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Trust me, you guys see less that 5% of what we clean up but thats what we are here for
    Coming from another Zapper of Spammers, I must say that Necropolis was accurate in what he said. We staff spend a lot of time deleting spam and banning the vermin who send it.