SMx Australia Project!

SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
edited December 2006 in Folding@Home
This new thread, the Australian SMx Project is predicated on its parent thread, "We Need Host Candidates." It appears our very active Australian Team 93 members have the desire to further the SMx project, the donated Folding@Home Computer project in the Land Down Under. Discussion leading up to this development centered on the Australians' desire to more fully participate in the SMx project through possibly building SMx machines in Australia from Australian-donated parts. Let the thread roll! I think this will be an exciting new development for Team 93.

:ausflag:

Leonardo
Adjudicator
Team 93 Committee Member

==========================================================
(First post pertaining to the 'new thread')

I know I dont pop in too often - but if you are going to get a list going - then please add me to it - Aussies need to be better represented in the smx stakes!!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Siggy, the Aussies might already be better represented if it weren't for the very high costs of shipping. Unfortunately for geographical dispersion, over 95% of our donated parts are donated by North Americans, so efficient logistics means the parts are centralized in North America. We tried an adjunct SMx enterprise in Europe, as that's the second largest S-M population. Unfortunately, the Europe venture met with only limited results.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited November 2006
    Siggy wrote:
    I know I dont pop in too often - but if you are going to get a list going - then please add me to it - Aussies need to be better represented in the smx stakes!!
    Drop me a PM, let's get an Aussie form of the SMX project going, to keep costs down.

Hope I am not treading on toes here, but it does make sense?

Datsun 1600
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Makes sense to me, though I have no authority. :)
    edited November 2006
    Drop me a PM, let's get an Aussie form of the SMX project going, to keep costs down.
    Outstanding. Please do it!

That's what we had tried in Europe, but for some reason, not enough hardware came together. We do though, have enough dedicated Aussie Folders that you guys should be able to put together a machine. I don't know what your internal shipping rates are.
    edited November 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Outstanding. Please do it!

I don't know what your internal shipping rates are.
    A complete Boxen costs about $A50 to send between Sydney and Perth.

Datsun 1600
  • ThermalfishThermalfish Melbourne, Australia
    edited November 2006
    A complete Boxen costs about $A50 to send between Sydney and Perth.

Datsun 1600

I have vid cards, PC3200(128 and 256meg) ram, a few small hard drives (10gig) and am willing to ship them from melbourne if this would help anyone in Australia.
    I also have plenty of room and willingness to host if thats needed.
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited November 2006
    WOW I didnt think there would be so much positive reaction!

OK guys I am not around enough to organise this - how about someone put their hand up to be the administrator - we get that passed by the SMx committee and then we post the parts we have to the admin person who coordinates the project here in Aus!

I have RAM
    4-5 HDD (all second hand - all 6-10 GB)
    A few OLD motherboards
    A few OLD cases
    A few OLD NIC cards
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2006
    If our Aussie crew wants to put a rig together that would be fantastic. :D

Let me know what you need and I'll lend a hand in any way I can. Just send me a PM and we'll get this rolling. :woowoo: :ausflag:

One thing I should mention is that for it to be an "official" numbered SMx rig, all parts would become property of the team. I think we'd also be happy to give it a special designation like we did for IC16-UK, maybe something like SM37_Down_Under, or whatever. You folks can suggest a better name if you'd like to.
    edited November 2006
    If those great members Down Under put together a machine from donated parts and did not want the parts owned by the team, I'm sure we could come with a non-official name, such as SM-Oz 01 or some such. Obviously, the Team encourages additional machines joining the force irrespective of ownership.
  • ThermalfishThermalfish Melbourne, Australia
    edited November 2006
    The parts I have arent doing anyone any good on their own. Im more than happy to donate them to 'team ownership'
    I have a slot 754 motherboard here too that I just found.
    edited November 2006
    I wish I had the time to be admin but with a new baby and a toddler and a business to run - Forget it! lol

I vote that all parts become team parts - that way the rig can be recliamed if it needs to be!

If some one that is known to the committee puts their hand up i will be happy to send them any parts i have laying around

Lets make sure this doesnt die and we get a Aus_SMX_93 rig going soon!
    edited November 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    May we have a Aussie Team 93 member volunteer to head the SMx/SMOz project?

Who is the first nominee?

Give me a name and I'll happily split this thread off into a new one:

The Australian SMOz Project, or SMx, Australian Style :thumbsup:
    The SMX.au Project.

I will put my hand up.

Datsun 1600
    edited November 2006
    Datsun 1600 -- Unless your countrymen say nay...Tag, You're It.
    Here's your chance!

SMx Australia
    SMx Down Under
    SMx.au
    SMOz

edited November 2006
    SMx.au

I don't have much in the way of <3Ghz computer gear, but I do have a few spare Boxen.

Datsun 1600
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited November 2006
    I 2nd Datsun 1600's appointment.

Also we have an Antic 1080 AMG Tower 2nd hand and a brand new thermaltake 430watt psu if needed.

Later
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited November 2006
    We will happily third/fourth it.:thumbsup: :ausflag:
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited November 2006
    dragonV8 wrote:
    We will happily third/fourth it.:thumbsup: :ausflag:

Meh! I did not think of dat, my brother will happily fifth it. :vimp:

Later
    edited November 2006
    Datsun has it I think - I like it cos he is in Sydney - easier to get the stuff to him!!
    edited November 2006
    How is this trackin?
    Is Datsun the man?
    When can I send him stuff!
    edited December 2006
    Anything happenning with this cos I got a lot of stuff I could get over to him - My Internet cafe is closing down and I am sure I could pass whatever he needs for the project over to him.
    Some one let me know!
    Siggy
    edited December 2006
    PM me and we will work something out, with picking up.

Datsun 1600