Laptop upgrade!

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited January 2007 in Hardware
:scratch: Hey guys,

My friend is looking to upgrade from DVD player to burner on his laptop. I have never really delt with laptops so I am not aware of any complications that could arise. Are there any compatibility problems or anything else that I should know.

thanks

Comments

• neogeo0823neogeo0823 Deep within the bowels of a sperm whale
    edited January 2007
    its been my experience that laptops are extremely hard, if not impossible to upgrade. i suppose it depends upon the specific laptop, but as a general rule, laptops are too small to use any parts other than the specially sized parts that are made to fit that particular model.

of course, im only speaking from what ive seen and dealt with, im sure that the forum regulars know much more than i do.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Radio91P wrote:
    ...My friend is looking to upgrade from DVD player to burner on his laptop. I have never really delt with laptops so I am not aware of any complications that could arise. Are there any compatibility problems or anything else that I should know...
    Hello Radio91P
    neo' is on the right track. Unfortunately, unlike desktop computers, laptop computers are all proprietary architecture or form factor. Therefore, you must upgrade or repair the laptop with hardware that is made for that particular model laptop computer. Usually, you will have to go to the manufacturer for upgrades like the one you are talking about. Even so, an upgrade may or may not be available. As a general rule, the older the laptop (the longer it has been out of production) the lesser your chances are of being able to purchase replacement or upgrade parts from the manufacturer.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Who is the manufacture, and what is the model/number?