Celebration of Shrinkage 2007

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Community
Yep, it's time for the Lakeview Polar Bear Club annual Celebration of Shrinkage.

Saturday, February 17th, 2007, myself, Marc Monnin, and several other perfectly sane individuals will be taking a nice refreshing swim off the frigid, windy coast of Chicago, IL into sunny Lake Michigan in order to raise money for a family in need.

As I've done for the last two years, I will be selling my body as a billboard to raise money. I'd like to raise about $400 for the cause. I'd much rather suffer the embarrassment of having my rather, well let's face it... "stout" frame plastered all over the web than be faced with the staggering medical costs and emotional trauma of, say, Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. Every year I am reminded of how lucky I am to be healthy. How do I remind myself? By freezing my fecking balls off, while the world laughs at the ridiculous pictures, that's how.

Hey, we all have our ways of dealing with stuff :wtf:

Anyways, if you want a personal message to be written on ME, the cost will be $30. You send me $30, and a message (brief, please! :skeptic: ) and I will write it on my body in black sharpie, and take lots of pictures for everyone to see.

Comments

• AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I am planning on being there again this year
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    As am I.... I've almost recovered from last year. ;D
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    As am I.... I've almost recovered from last year. ;D
    It was sweet :). I am bringing the speedo again and gettting trashed at the bar aftewards. We need more short-media people there.
    edited January 2007
    Looks like I'll be at a Irish Dance competition. :(

I'll work on my wife to see if I can "get out of going".... We'll see.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2007
    I will be there, probably coming up with Aranyic. Trying to get Norge to come along too.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Ahhh! perhaps writing funny things on my body is no longer worth a laugh and $30 :-/

I have just a few weeks to come up with my target, folks! Not one person from short-media has taken me up on my offer this year. My belly might be blank :(
  • BlueDragonBlueDragon Longwood, FL USA New
    edited January 2007
    I gotta see if I can get some cash from dog and red dragon but if so i will pay to have you write Dragons rule People drool. :kneel: i am almost positive that it will happen though . does dog have you address to send it to?
    edited January 2007
    I'll PM you the paypal address :)
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Ok I think Short-Media.com should be on your back from shoulder to
    shoulder. Right under that Team #93
    Pm me on what you think
    edited January 2007
    RedDragon is in I'll pm on what he wants
    So there's $90 it's a start
    edited January 2007
    The dragon family comes through for a good cause! Thanks a lot, you guys! :)

Oh wait until you see what they're making me write on myself :shakehead
    edited January 2007
    I Like helping when I can, But this time I get to see pics.
    Hmmm... maybe even a blog?
    edited February 2007
    Well the dragon family came through big time, as well as a couple of people from my other site, but alas I was not able to reach my goal this year :(

Goal was $400, total donated was $150

Still a nice amount to give to a family in need.

Thanks for your generous donations, dragons.. The pics, I hope, will be worth it (Especially when you see what red dragon has going on me.....) ;)
    edited February 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Looks like I'll be at a Irish Dance competition. :(

I'll work on my wife to see if I can "get out of going".... We'll see.
    Nope... I really cannot be there this year. While I would have enjoyed hanging with you guys, I will not miss the cold water. I will be watching my daughter dance...

Be careful Brian....:thumbsup:
    edited February 2007
    no need to be careful :-/

Just got an email from the organizer... The swim is cancelled due to complete lack of actual water.

He went there a week ago, and again just now, and the lake is frozen solid from the shore to some distance out... it's just not gonna be safe, because there's no telling what the depth of the water will be at the edge of the ice shelf, not to mention how far it actually goes out. Him and another guy were there with pickaxes, softening the ice, but it's just freezing right back over.

I hate to say it, but I think it is actually TOO COLD for polar bears this year :(

To the dragons, I am still forwarding your donations on to the charity, obviously.. I have a little snow event of my own planned that should be good for laughs, and you will still have your messages written on my body, scout's honor :rarr:
    edited February 2007
    no need to be careful :-/

I hate to say it, but I think it is actually TOO COLD for polar bears this year :(

To the dragons, I am still forwarding your donations on to the charity, obviously.. I have a little snow event of my own planned that should be good for laughs, and you will still have your messages written on my body, scout's honor :rarr:

TOO COLD for polar bears I didn't think it was possible.
    Ok the lake is out, What a polar bear to do :scratch:

Well at least the people that needed the help is still getting it :)

I'm just wondering what half bake idea you came up with :confused:
    HEY, I figure it out since you are losing the weight you going to streak around the block :D
    But, If I were you I wouldn't do that your kids still have to live in that neighborhood :bigggrin:
    edited February 2007
    img9961-edit.jpg
    edited February 2007
    On a side note - that "bluedragon is an idiot" with two hairy nipples on either side of it would make a GREAT avatar :wtf::p
    edited February 2007
    img9955.jpg
    edited February 2007
    img9949.jpg
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    How can we not drool with guns like that in front of us?
    edited February 2007
    The event was not canceled, never planned to be. Shoulda been there. He never said it was gonna be canceled, rather we were not able to get into the water. Just like 3 years ago this happened as well, the water was frozen over. Instead of getting in, everyone got doused with a water hose. This year we sat on the ice, actually on the Lake.

The event was a HUGE successs. TV stations were there, photographers were there. We were on 3 TV stations, on a radio station, a local reader, and a journal later on when it gets published. We raised more money this year than ever, probably over $10k by the time it all gets counted.

www.lakeviewpolarbearclub.com - Pics of me doing a Snow Angel right before I got up off the Ice. I was sitting on the with wind blowing at my back for about 15-20 min in just my swimsuit in 23 degree weather. All the pictures are not up yet but it was a blast as it is every year.
    edited February 2007
    :wtf:

I never got the part about the sit in, just the fundraising party, etc... Had I known the beach would still be involved, I would have been there for sure! :( I was told the swim was cancelled, so I decided not to do the grueling 10 hours-in-one-day drive :-/

At any rate, I did indeed freeze my ass off along with you guys, and sent LPBC a check for $150 :)

Glad you guys had fun. I'm sorry I missed it :( I'll definitely be there next year :thumbsup:
    edited February 2007
    In that same email he said he was going to be there in his speedo regardless at Noon. Selective reading I see. hehe

And I quote:
    Therefore, no matter what the weather, tomorrow at noon I plan on being on the beach in my speedo. I encourage everyone to join me and show our support for the Prestangen's.

Oh and how about hosting that website of his that gets hits about 2-3 months at this time of year instead of him paying $100 for domain/hosting.
    edited February 2007
    mmonnin wrote:
    In that same email he said he was going to be there in his speedo regardless at Noon. Selective reading I see. hehe

I went by my phone conversation with him. remember, I've got two kids tagging along and so I can't do the bar thing or any of the other fun stuff. :)
    mmonnin wrote:
    Oh and how about hosting that website of his that gets hits about 2-3 months at this time of year instead of him paying $100 for domain/hosting.

DUDE! I sent him at LEAST two emails about this and never got a response! I've offered twice now to host his site for free as a charitable thing!

FOR THE RECORD, FOR ALL TO SEE: I will happily host his website for free, forever! :D
    edited February 2007
    Well he paid it for a year I think, not sure when it will run out. I mentioned it to him that you host websites and such. O well.
    edited February 2007
    img9961-edit.jpg

Ok, see you're in the snow
    But but that a cheerleader top next to ya :D
    What did ya do with the skirt? :scratch:
    Does the profdlp know you have a cheerleader outfit :D