To anyone with an NV 8800 series card:

edited April 2007 in Hardware
Prepare to send it back for replacement: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=391.
Right after the G80 was taped out, NVIDIA discovered a bug in the vertex shader that causes the GPU to generate slightly incorrect geometry transformation data. The difference was minimal enough to escape attention but it was significant enough to render a scene incorrectly.

Now, what's the big deal about a slightly incorrect scene? After all, you can't even tell the difference between 2xAA and 4xAA. What would a slightly different scene matter when you are zipping along at 60+ fps? Well, that's what YOU think.

Here's the bummer. What it really means is that objects can be rendered off to one side. For FPS gamers, this can cause shots aimed at those objects (like your opponents) to miss when they should really hit. In RTS games, it may cause you to click on the wrong unit or send your units to attack a different target.

Comments

• edited April 2007
    You know what? Nevermind. I forgot what day it is.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited April 2007
    TheSmJ wrote:
    You know what? Nevermind. I forgot what day it is.
    LMAO
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2007
    It's SUNDAY, dude.

Sheesh - even I knew that... :shakehead
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I'd say you're an April Fool, Steve, but you're a fool every day.
    edited April 2007
    Cram it, Jasper. :rant:

How can you pick on me at a time like this - after I just lost all my Megahertz!!!!!!!!!!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    You can make up for it with unlimited bandwidth from Google.
    edited April 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    You can make up for it with unlimited bandwidth from Google.

Oh, man - I want that so bad! :eek:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Owned imo.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Nvidia took this seriously....

We have been receiving some questions and concerns about an article recently posted on The Inquirer claiming that there is a bug in G84 and G86 preventing chips from downclocking into 2D Mode. This article is not correct at all. Please pass the following response on to anyone else who may have concerns on the matter:

There never was, and never will be a "2D Clock Mode" on desktop versions of G84 and G86. The power requirements for these GPUs are low enough to begin with - there is little to no power savings to be had by down clocking into a 2D mode, at least for desktop usage.

We have invested considerable effort into power efficiency in our GeForce 8 series architecture. Our 8800 series has been widely recognized as having an excellent performance/power ratio and our upcoming 8600 and 8500 series will share this distinction.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    HALP I RED IT ON TEH INTAERWEB ON APRIL FOOL IT MUST BE TRU HALP ME PLXx