Interesting problem..

DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
edited April 2007 in Spyware & Virus Removal
My girlfriends computer is infected with something. I'm running a system scan with F-Secure anti-virus at the moment, but I'm not confident it'll find anything. Now, it may not be a virus, it could just be a corrupted system, but maybe someone can give me some advice. I've tried running hijackthis, but when I navigate to the hijackthis folder, Windows Explorer shuts down. I renamed hijackthis to me.exe on my computer, and copied it over to her computer. It starts to run, then shuts down. I tried to see if there were any unusual services running by opening Control Panel/Administration Tools/Services, but Services would also shut down. I then ran msconfig to see what was running at startup, but that also shutdown. I then copied over Sysinternals ProcessExplorerNT over and ran it, but it too... shut down. hehe... you can probably see a trend here. I disabled her internet and it'll stay that way until I fix what's wrong with the computer.

Comments

• DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited April 2007
    OK, F-secure didn't find anything. I deleted the bogus hosts file entry for Pandasoft and ran the online scanner, which found a number of viruses and rootkits. I then downloaded and am currently running the Panda Antivirus 2007 Trial.. which is doing it's thing. I think I have it under control.