WTF is wrong with my monitor?!? (warning: large pix)

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited October 2003 in Hardware
Ok, so this problem showed up first on the secondary input, and now it's on both and it's worse than ever. I know it's a monitor issue because it does it on all 4 computers (ATi R128, ATi R8500, ATi R9700 Pro, ATi R7500m) and it does it both with and without the KVM switch. It does it with multiple cables as well, so the only thing that hasn't changed is the monitor. Please please please don't tell me the monitor is fubarred because this was a friggin' $900 monitor and I don't want to drop another $1k on a monitor

Look at the edges of everything. See the blurring? that's the issue. As I'm typing this, the smilies are all almost doubled

BTW, the monitor in question is a Sony CPD-G520 21" Professional series monitor that's about 3 years old... it's been pretty lightly used (turned off when not in use usually, used maybe 3-4hrs a day at most usually)
Pic 1:

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    Image 2:
    edited September 2003
    I know this is a bad image, but it shows the dark blue band at the very left edge of the screen, just before the display stops, very well
    edited September 2003
    I tried degaussing, no effect. It's degaussed regularly (like once a week) anyhow. Also tried playing with the convergence, which also had no effect.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    have you tried changing the refresh rate?
  • edited October 2003
    It looks as if the convergence is off. Does your monitor have anything in the way of convergence controls?

Mine has 3 different settings. One for vertical convergence, one for overall horizontal convergence, and one for top, and bottom convergence.

I know my monitor (21" Compaq (Sony) Trinitron 21" FS) has a slight miss-converged at the last inch of the screen, along the bottom. After messing with the controls, The reason I cant fix it with the controls is because when one side looks correct, the opposite side looks worse.

I believe the only way to fix it would be to open the monitor up, and mess with the sliders on the back of the tube, finding the one corresponding to the convergence of the bottom of the monitor. Something you too may have to do to fix your problem as well.
    edited October 2003
    Tried changing the refresh rate and convergence. both have no effect.

Kanez, sorry for the near month-long lag there. For some reason, I never got an e-mail that you replied to this thread. Oh well...
  • edited October 2003
    I had a similar problem like this one time had to do with a faulty driver I had the wrong driver for either my Monitor or my video card. One of the two but I had the exact same thing you had. Im thinking it was monitor driver. Even if you think you might have the right driver you may not.
    edited October 2003
    Hmm... It's worth a try anyhow. Windows XP recognizes the CPD-G520 correctly and installs it's own .inf for it, and that's the driver I've been using since I switched to XP (2 days before the official launch). The problem only started a few months ago, though. However, it's worth a try. I'm just not sure that there are any 3rd party .infs for Sony monitors. I've never seen Sony make a driver for them...