Games I Miss- and would like to see again

QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
edited October 2007 in Gaming
This thread is for those games I miss, apparently have no future, but I would like to see come back with new engines and graphics:

Jedi Knight (PC)
Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) (PC)

I personally think that Jedi Outcast and Academy were the first real FPS greats of multiplayer gaming and I sorely miss the rollicking action of saber-only and full force powers Capture-The-Flag. Chucking in weapons was fun too- if you didn’t mind being part of a huge body count. And I think that with today’s technology, physics, graphics, Wii-type interface, and hosting capabilities, a lot of the awkward game play could be vastly improved and this genre of game could once again gain a prominent stage.

Unfortunately, LucasArts is apparently wed-locked to the XBOX and doldrum consoles with their new title The Force Unleashed. For this reason I never got to play their Episode III game- and may likely not see this title either. Oh how I miss this old-timers favorite for the PC- even the single player! Oh yeah- and I have heard of a Wii remote interface for PC Linux (via my son).

KOTOR was probably THE best solo storyline game I’ve ever played. I don’t expect these to come around very often because of that, but I think with commensurate upgrades there is still a ready market for this type of adventure game again- should George Lucas permit such a story to go somewhere besides the big screen. Unfortunately, a search of KOTOR III with Google returns nearly 3-year dead threads.

LucasArts used to have some of the best titles with these two series, but somehow they never followed up on them and improved these Award-winning formulae. It was just a matter of time before newer games would overrun them. Sigh … I wished Ravensoft, Bioware or Obsidian could have carried the ball LA dropped, but … :( .

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    1) Quake 2
    2) KOTOR
    1) Quake 2
    2) KOTOR
    1) Quake 2
    2) KOTOR
    1) Quake 2
    2) KOTOR
    1) Quake 2
    2) KOTOR
    1) Quake 2
    2) KOTOR
    1) Quake 2
    2) KOTOR
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    1) Quake 2
    2) KOTOR
    1) Quake 2
    2) KOTOR
    1) Quake 2
    2) KOTOR
    1) Quake 2
    2) KOTOR
    1) Quake 2
    2) KOTOR
    1) Quake 2
    2) KOTOR
    1) Quake 2
    2) KOTOR

Haha- how ironic that Jedi Knight used the Quake 3 engine.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Rainbow Six.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited September 2007
    I am supporting quake 2, quake 2 is whole reason I am into pc gaming. I spent an entire summer playing the online with every mod every made for the game. *sigh* those were the days.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Mechwarrior

It's what got me into gaming, and no other games including Heavy Gear works for me, I love the storyline and everything that goes with Battletech.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    starcraft, it's what got me into gaming.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Alternate Reality :-/
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    x-wing vs tie fighter

the Fallout games (plz let 3 rule!)

old school cnc and red alert (not this new bullcrap)

I agree with leishi and rwb on starcraft and mechwarrior as well. Those games rocked the katzbah!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Fantasy Empires

Master of Magic

These are my two favorite games ever, and I haven't been able to play either in years. :(
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2007
    Quake, Quake 2, Jedi Knight 2, Diablo 2, Tie-Fighter are the first that come to mind..
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2007
    Lo Wang as the Shadow Warrior, Hexxen, WOLF3d, The original Duke Nukems, Zork I,II,III, and ZORK - Grand Inquisitor...The list goes on. Lo Wang needs a remake because he made nuclear warheads public, and the five shot Heatseeker card that looked like a SB16, The quad barrel riot shotgun, punching a man of arms and a dummy to gain health back and up to 200...Shooting rabbits instead of rockets, Gas grenades, caltrops and a snide view to insult to injury.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Tie Fighter (Dear god do I ever struggle trying to get this on a computer at least ONCE a year)
    Wing Commander 1 & 2
    Quake 2
    Dark Forces, Jedi Knight etc...
    edited September 2007
    MDK

oh i loved that game. we need more games with humor and wit like that.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    MDK

oh i loved that game. we need more games with humor and wit like that.

I definitely agree with that. A game I felt accomplished odd humor with interesting gameplay would have to be psychonauts.
    edited September 2007
    As it happens, I agree ;)
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited September 2007
    Rugby played on grass with real people :scotflag::banned:
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, psychonauts was a really good game. I've got a whole schpiel about it but it's not topical.

I tell you a game that needs to be remade now, and that is #GAME_NAME: (CONDITION < =10 Y) Alot of the classics are worthy. But see AVGN for a list that doesn't.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited September 2007
    Diablo 2
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    the old sierra games...

quest for glory
    space quest
    leisure suit larry
    police quest
    king's quest
    colonel's bequest
    etc etc etc
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    fatcat wrote:
    the old sierra games...

quest for glory
    space quest
    leisure suit larry
    police quest
    king's quest
    colonel's bequest
    etc etc etc

They did remake most of those... I was just playing a point and click remake of Space Quest a few months ago... Now where did I get that?:confused:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    They did remake most of those... I was just playing a point and click remake of Space Quest a few months ago... Now where did I get that?:confused:

yes I know they remade some... But I want dx10 1680x1050 space quest sweetness ;)
    if u remember where u found it lemme know
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    edited September 2007
    I agree that we need more Kotor games. Other games that I think we need to see more of is Shenmue, more shoot-em-ups like Ikaruga, 1942 styled games. More fallout series.
    edited September 2007
    Diablo 2 wasn't all that good in my opinion. I liked 1 more.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    MotorCity Online!!
    edited September 2007
    That got me thinking too..Clash at Demonhead.
    edited September 2007
    omg i loved clash at demonhead! Tom Guycot! :D
  • WeedoWeedo New
    edited September 2007
    For action/adventure I miss the Tex Murphy series, Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive and Overseer. Especially TPD. KQ6 was awesome too.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Definately Diablo 2. Hopefully they will get the Diablo 3 running, heard it was under production like, long ago. Also, I would like some of the old, classic Might&Magic games.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Red Faction!!!

Especially the micro maps

Pure pwnage
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Jokke wrote:
    Definately Diablo 2. Hopefully they will get the Diablo 3 running, heard it was under production like, long ago. Also, I would like some of the old, classic Might&Magic games.

I do miss me some Hero's of Might and Magic II