Games I Miss- and would like to see again

2»

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2007
    Clive Barker's Undying. Man that game was epic hard when it came to puzzles.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Quake, Hexen, warcraft II, starcraft. I can't remember the name but there was an incredibly disorienting 3d shooter game where you had this round ship and went through corridors and other robotic ships were your enemy's....... You had to use a joystick to really get into it........crap can't remember.

Edit: Ooo Ooo, Descent 3D!!
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    Zuntar wrote:
    Quake, Hexen, warcraft II, starcraft. I can't remember the name but there was an incredibly disorienting 3d shooter game where you had this round ship and went through corridors and other robotic ships were your enemy's....... You had to use a joystick to really get into it........crap can't remember.

Descent?
    edited September 2007
    Google it, dare ya!!

linkage
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited September 2007
    Herzog Zwei.... although I don't think it'd work very well, too many others jumped on the RTS bandwagon after it.

Unreal, the original single player game.

Syndicate.
    edited September 2007
    The early Resident Evil games... I wanna play RE2 on my wii.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    leisure suit larry

i concur
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    The Dig, Actually I just ordered it on amazon to do it all over again!
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited September 2007
    I loved these:

Undying
    Nocturne
    Shadow Man
    Outlaws
    Quake
    Quake II

I still have them all, and with the exception of Nocturne, run fine on Win 98.

I think Quake II runs ok on XP actually, I'll have to try that.

Damn shame about Nocturne, that was the first game that made me jump out of my chair but I must admit the control system and views was rubbish.

Some more I can think of:

Lands Of Lore III
    Carmageddon II
    Carmageddon TDR 2000
    Breakneck

And of course Half Life One and all the add-ons, the best of which were, imo, the three 'They Hunger' epsiodes.

But there again, HL1 + add-ons run ok in XP.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Floppy, you should get Steam. You can buy the entire back catalog from Valve and Id and play them on any windows system, even Vista.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited September 2007
    Floppy, you should get Steam. You can buy the entire back catalog from Valve and Id and play them on any windows system, even Vista.

Well thankee for the heads up sah but I do have Steam :)

Have HL2; HL2 Episode 1 and Dark Messiah Of Mage & Magic installed on my main machine.

Bioshock too, I think that is allied to Steam as well, though not certain.

I have a machine with a front mounted internal hard disk caddy and five trays with disks.

So far I have Win XP; PC Linux OS 2007 and Win 98 on three of the disks.

It's only a recent install of Win 98 but I intend to load lots of old games onto it.

Made the machine from parts I had and a computer from a school I was working at, they were throwing out loads of old machines.

Brief specs: Aopen MX46 motherboard (circa 2003); 512Mb RAM; Celeron 1.7 CPU; 300W PSU; Lian Li PC61 case; Nvidia 6800 AGP 256Mb Graphics card; D-Link Ethernet card; Audigy 2 Sound card; Asus DVDRW and a floppy disk drive.

That's old enough to get on with Win 98, I found out the hard way that pci-e architecture and Win 98 do not mix ;)
    edited September 2007
    well buy the orange box and play Team Fortress 2 with us :D
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I want to see more of System Shock, Monkey Island, and I really want to get my hands on a copy of the original Sam and Max Hit the Road.

Also, hell, I just want more space sims, I first started playing on X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Wing Commander.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    There was this game that I played as a kid that was basically a platforming puzzle game that involved settings much like you'd expect Indiana Jones or Lara Croft to be visiting. The key with this game was that, much like Carmen Sandiego, it taught history and art as you were playing.

I completely forget the name, but I loved playing it as a kid.

Also, the first time I encountered a pink demon in Doom 1 was a truly unforgettable experience. It had snuck up on me and taken a bite. As I turned to the left and met the roaring demon face-to-face, the hair on the back of my neck stood on end and all the blood drained from my face. This is an experience that has not been duplicated in intensity for me in modern gaming no matter how complex the graphics have become.
    edited September 2007
    I had that same experience in Doom.... The first time I stared down a long, dark corridor and suddenly a pink demon was barreling down the corridor towards me - i literally yelled and it scared the living crap out of me.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I was very young when Doom came out. I was 5 or 6. That game gave me some everloving nightmares -- and they kept me coming back for more. That game had great atmosphere.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    MechWarrior 2 and Mercenaries for awesome gameplay value and storyline. Updated with modern 3D but keep the full FASA Battletech ruleset. And the computer voice. And the metal soundtrack.

A new version of Descent that works well with mouse and keyboard would be great. Without the puzzle crap from Descent 3.

GHoosdum: I had a very similar experience playing Descent. I was in a mine on Venus when one of the green slicer robots came flying out of a hole in the ceiling, let out some kind of electronic squeal/scream, and came at my ship at high speed with its blood-soaked pincers raised to swipe.

descent1.jpg

-drasnor :fold:

P.S. I've thought of, on multiple occasions, pulling the mission start computer message from MechWarrior 2 and putting it on a little embedded voice chip I have and wiring it to my car's ignition.
    edited September 2007
    Oh man another game I really miss in that same 2d/faux 3d shooter genre was Terminal Velocity. I loved that game.
    edited September 2007
    Yeah I liked TV. I played it way back when I could see.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    That green mining claw robot gave me the same reaction the first time it hit me too. Descent was a really well-done game for its time.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    drasnor wrote:
    MechWarrior 2 and Mercenaries for awesome gameplay value and storyline. Updated with modern 3D but keep the full FASA Battletech ruleset. And the computer voice. And the metal soundtrack.

omg MW2:Mercenaries rocked my world!:crazy:
    drasnor wrote:
    P.S. I've thought of, on multiple occasions, pulling the mission start computer message from MechWarrior 2 and putting it on a little embedded voice chip I have and wiring it to my car's ignition.
    Power..Online, Weapons...Online, Sensors...Online, All systems nominal

haha...DO IT!
    edited September 2007
    Hell yeah. I'm gonna need something like that for a project.
    edited September 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:

Also, the first time I encountered a pink demon in Doom 1 was a truly unforgettable experience. It had snuck up on me and taken a bite. As I turned to the left and met the roaring demon face-to-face, the hair on the back of my neck stood on end and all the blood drained from my face. This is an experience that has not been duplicated in intensity for me in modern gaming no matter how complex the graphics have become.

For me it was Hexen, there was a level where the music slowly intensified, nothing was to be seen for a little while I was going down a hallway, just at the peak of the music the goosebumps started and the friggin walls dropped all around me. I was surrounded:eek:, I yelled and open fired. When the dust settled I had a cold sweat goin on. Intensity I have not felt in any other game since I believe

Oh man another game I really miss in that same 2d/faux 3d shooter genre was Terminal Velocity. I loved that game.

OOOoooh yea, that was a blast too!! That was another one that just had to be played w/ a joystick.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Syndicate would be nice redone with modern graphics and such, great game.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    MORE HALF LIFE!

I am playing episode 1 now and man It is one of the best sequal / expansions yet!
  • GuyuteGuyute Gamehenge
    edited October 2007
    Painkiller. The painkiller weapon is the weapon tied with the Gravity Gun from HL:2 DM for coolest weapon ever invented. Multiplayer was wild, but short-lived.
    edited October 2007
    Painkiller is still around, still very modern, and still awesome. You can buy it on Steam cheap. It is definitely worth playing. The graphics are on par with modern games.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

;D
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Black Hawk wrote:
    Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

;D

Hell ya:thumbsup:
    edited October 2007
    I got one. The first Silent Hill.