This PSU Power Enough for Radeon 2400HD Pro?

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited November 2007 in Hardware
I'm helping a friend stabilize a video upgrade he just performed on an older e-Machines PC. I won't bore you with all the specs, but here are the pertinent ones:

300Watt (junk, I assume) PSU
AMD Sempron 3300+ (2.0 GHz) CPU
optical drive
one P-ATA hard drive
Visiontek Radeon 2400HD Pro, AGP, 256MB vid card, AGP

The video card is his upgrade.

He's having power problems - no big surprise. I have an old but barely used 400W Zalman PSU in the parts bin. I has all the connectors he needs, but I'm unsure if it will provide the necessary amperage for his computer. The +12v rail only caries 18 amps max sustained, 19.5 peak. Is that enough for his system? I couldn't find any specs on the 2400HD Pro's power consumption.

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited November 2007
    Yeah he should be cool with the 400@18 for awhile. AGP8x didn't provide a whole lot of power, and the 2400 consumes like, 60 watts I think.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Keep in mind it's the old type PSU - only single rail +12v. Still think so? I believe you, I just don't want to set this fellow up wrong. He's a young guy and so excited about his new video card.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I'm running an AMD 64 3500 with 384MB DDR 2100 two hard drives and a dvd reader and a crappy G4 on 250w at 14A.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2007
    With the zalman he shouldn't have a problem, But with the other psu mileage may very. (6 hours into using it loud boom occurs, bsod or VPU recovery kicks in ... or it might have no problems with the card's load at all)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    with the other psu mileage may very
    Uh...yes, as expressed in my first post. That's why I'm hooking him up with the Zalman. :bigggrin:

It's really satisfying to help someone out, to find a solution with a component that otherwise is doing no one any good, just sitting in the parts bin. I always get a warm and fuzzy over things like this.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I'd be surprised if that system pulls more than 100W at any time Leo. Your 400W is actually a overkill if it works as intended.