Best DDR1+AGP system

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited January 2008 in Hardware
Anyone have a good idea what I should look for?

I have a client who wishes to reuse his memory and video card, which are parts he added to a dieing ecrapola computer. I'd like to know what my best options here are, ideally not trashing the remaining good parts, which also includes a good replaced psu and miscellaneous other stock peripherals which may or may not be used and/or replaced.

I kind of need to have a motherboard picked out. That is kind of the biggie. Then, I can go get a cpu. AMD, Intel, doesn't matter, but looking for best performance I can get with something that supports both DDR1 and AGP. I would say price could make a deciding factor, if only comparing to an oc ability, which I'm not too concerned with here. Features are not necessity, maybe on-board raid, but I don't know yet. Micro or full atx boards are fine I believe. Power is not a big issue, but will sway me, which in turn will influence the outcome of this.

My guess is an AMD system, but can't remember if the dual cores could work or if I have to go back to something older. I believe the system originally was an AMD 3400+, but don't quote me on it.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    You can go with something like an asus a8r-mvp which is DDR1/Socket 939, supports Opteron 170 dual core, for example....
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2008
    Damn for like $70 you can get good DDR2 and bottom basement PCI-E card that will be better than what he already has. Talk some sense into the guy.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Do you want a used NF7-S? That is about as good as you will get.
    The current available ones are not that great, unless you like SiS chipsets.

There is an ASRock mobo called 4CoreDual that will run Core2Duo and Core2Quad chips, use either DDR or DR2 memory and has an AGP slot.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157115
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited January 2008
    edcentric wrote:
    Do you want a used NF7-S? That is about as good as you will get.
    The current available ones are not that great, unless you like SiS chipsets.

There is an ASRock mobo called 4CoreDual that will run Core2Duo and Core2Quad chips, use either DDR or DR2 memory and has an AGP slot.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157115

yeah, i saw that board, but isn't asrock kind of sorta just one of the worst motherboards around?
    mmonnin wrote:
    Damn for like $70 you can get good DDR2 and bottom basement PCI-E card that will be better than what he already has. Talk some sense into the guy.

Maybe, we'll have to see.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2008
    yagga wrote:
    yeah, i saw that board, but isn't asrock kind of sorta just one of the worst motherboards around?

Yes, You won't find something other then garbage or antiques stuff that meets your clients requirements.

edit: DDR has been dead since 2006, And AGP since 2005.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited January 2008
    I have 2 dual VSTA's running quads fine boards, stable folding 24/7 for months now, they are not comparable with older asrock kit. I personally know of over a hundred build around these boards for just this purpose ie gradual upgrade and all are working well some are OCed to 3 Ghz plus.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    If you can't talk him out of his (can't say upgrade) renewal project, make him sign a release stating he will not cry to you when he finds it impossible to upgrade his newly refreshed antique-o-matic in the future. Are you sure he does not know how inexpensive first generation Socket 775 and DDR2 is? Maybe all he knows is department store prices for new computers.
    edited January 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Maybe all he knows is department store prices for new computers.

That sounds familiar.

We might have this partly settled. Now I've got him convinced on a q6600. :o Is there a reason I should hold back, considering this is an economical project? Price drop/new releases with similar prices/whatnot? I thought the 45nms were coming shortly, but I'm not sure if that is going to effect prices much on existing tech or be drastically better to wait. To put a question simply: Would you personally buy a Q6600 today?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    45nms won't be around until 2H08 because AMD currently sucks and can't be assed to come up with anything competitive. As such, Intel does not feel threatened, and has pushed back the release schedule on the Penryns.

I would not buy a quad today because I don't benefit from quad, but for someone who's much more general about their work, I would suggest it.
    edited January 2008
    Alright, now should I be worried about the stepping, ignoring any presumed board choice? Are the older B steppings still sitting around in warehouses?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Yes they are, but for someone who doesn't appear as though they're a power user in any capacity, it doesn't matter.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Echo what Thrax wrote concerning quad. B3 vs. G0 is completely irrelevant for someone who won't overclock.

Your customer really makes me nervous. Yesterday he was dead set on a Socket A refresh, now he swings all the way over to Quad. Nothing wrong with Quads - hey, I love them. Unless he multitasks like mad or runs one of those rare applications that can be threaded for a Quad (such as Folding@Home), maybe he would like to spend less money and get a mid-range or even upper mid-range Core 2 Duo. You can put together a very nice motherboard-DRAM-Duo barebones for under $400.

Look, if he wants to spring for a Quad, well, why not? It's just when someone makes a radical change overnight it makes me think they might change their mind again tomorrow.
    edited January 2008
    It looks to be working out.

Pending finish up...