I did a booboo...

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited February 2008 in Hardware
Hai guys, first of all, I would like evryone that replies to this post to slap me first. Secondly, I just ordered my 8800GTS, woohoo and all that. Didn't think about my PSU... It has got a 6 pin connector, but I don't think it can handle an 8800GTS... It's a 350W lump o' crap. Here's teh exact model:
http://www.fsp-group.com/english/1_product/2_detail.asp?mainid=1&fid=52&proid=205

Can anyone reccomend a very cheap PSU that will be able to handle an 8800GTS assuming this can't. $80 or less is ideal- don't mind where it's from as long as it's not second (etc) hand.

Thanks again Icrontic *salute*

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Can anyone reccomend a very cheap PSU that will be able to handle an 8800GTS...$80 or less is ideal
    That might be difficult to find in the US, except for online specials. Given the different price and tax conditions of North America and Europe, probably your best bet is to look for any online specials in the EU market and post what you find that's within your budget. To play it safe, I would make the minimum Watts rating for PSU as 550. I forget what the minimum +12v value should be.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Mas0n said 18-24A is what I need.

NewEgg doesn't deliever to the UK :(

EDIT 2: Cable Lenth is an issue- PSU at the bottom of an Antec 900 needs to be able to reach the top of the case >.<
    edited January 2008
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120676 ? $40 LOL :D

Opinions plx :P

I found this in the value section, dunno if this is because it's crap or because it's just part of their "up-to-70%-off" sale :P
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    I edited my post....new one is at Dabs
  • edited January 2008
    Wow, you recommend an OCZ product, Ryder? ;);D;D

The ODM of that psu, is FSP and it is based on the Epsilon series psu's. Here's a review of it for you.

2 more that would suit your build are the Corsair VX450 and the OCZ/PCP&C Silencer 470. If I'm not mistaken, the Silencer series are built for PCP&C by Seasonic, as is the Corsair VX 450. Seasonic has been making some damn good designs for themselves and the other companies they supply and are top rated stuff. The Corsair VX 450 is reviewed here and here.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a decent review of the Silencer 470 for you. I did notice that the Corsair has a higher amp rating on the 12v rail than the Silencer though.
    edited January 2008
    I found this in the value section...
    I would be wary of any PSU for which it's nearly impossible to find the specifications details. The don't show the label for the power distribution, to show what cables it has, and so on. Yes, it's probably worth no more (or even less) than its sales price.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    A good 450 or 500 should work as long as you don't have 6 HDDs and overclock like mad.
    There are some solid Thermaltake PSUs out there.
    If you can swing the cash for the Silencer you won't be sorry.
    edited January 2008
    I'm on a limited budget aka I have about 2 dollars :P I'll need to work for some money, but ASAP is better.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited January 2008
    Stay away from that value psu you linked to. It's a real piece of poo and will probably cost you a lot more in the long run by blowing up and taking a few components with it. The minimum you should be spending on a decent rated psu is around the £40 mark.

All the other psu's linked to are good and are well worth the money and are not that expensive either. However I think you'll be pleasantly by your existing psu, despite what you think, it's not crap and will probably be able to power your new card till you can afford one of the other recommended ones.
    edited January 2008
    Your faith is inspiring :D But, according to a reliable source, (he's one of our own) my Overclocked C2D and my graphics card share power from the same rail (or something like that- Power is a new thing to me :P), so I'm not sure if it'll manage- I'll definately give it a go, but I wanted to get a headstart on a worst-case scenaro :D
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2008
    Do not buy that psu, Its probably not even as capable as your fsp. It will probably kill all of your components WHEN it dies from being overloaded.

Get something by OCZ or PC power & cooling, Btw StealthX's cables probably wont reach (I know the 500W's 12V cable is too short for the p180 according to my customers), Neither will any of there modular ones in the Antec 900.

OCZ and Pc Power & Cooling are the only way to go these days for psu's. Enermax makes a good PSU as well but they cost too much for what you get, And antecs have been downhill since about 2004.

edit: Also Pc Power & Cooling makes most if not all of there own psu's, There all top notch, Most of OCZ's are from FSP or TOP Power.
    edited January 2008
    Cool- if my PSU can't take it I'll get working on it, if Jimborae is wrong (and I hope to god he's not :P) then I'll start looking asap and try to borrow money from parents :P
    edited January 2008
    OCZ and Pc Power & Cooling are the only way to go these days for psu's.
    Certainly good equipment, but just two brands out many that are very good. Don't be so restrictive.
    edited January 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Certainly good equipment, but just two brands out many that are very good. Don't be so restrictive.

Normally I'd agree, but with such a small amount of funds it's reliablity > range :P
  • edited January 2008
    GrayFox wrote:
    edit: Also Pc Power & Cooling makes most if not all of there own psu's, There all top notch, ...

Actually you are wrong on that issue. The Silencer series are made by Seasonic for PCP&C and the Turbo Cool series are built by Win Tact for PCP&C. That doesn't change the fact that they are great power supplies.

And GrayFox, don't forget the Corsair psu's being in the same class as the PCP&C units. Corsair's psu's are built by either Seasonic or CWT, use high quality Japanese capacitors in them and are warranted for 5 years, just like the Turbo Cools. I have the HX620, VX550 and VX450 and all 3 are fantastic, quiet units.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Mike D loved the Corsair TX750.
    edited February 2008
    Will my wallet love it?
    edited February 2008
    It's been my lucky week I swear :S I just found $100 in my desk... new PSU here we come :D Any more reccomendations? I don't want to spend ALL of it, but if it's a good investment then I'll look into it :P
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2008
    muddocktor wrote:
    Actually you are wrong on that issue. The Silencer series are made by Seasonic for PCP&C and the Turbo Cool series are built by Win Tact for PCP&C. That doesn't change the fact that they are great power supplies.

And GrayFox, don't forget the Corsair psu's being in the same class as the PCP&C units. Corsair's psu's are built by either Seasonic or CWT, use high quality Japanese capacitors in them and are warranted for 5 years, just like the Turbo Cools. I have the HX620, VX550 and VX450 and all 3 are fantastic, quiet units.

The UL number says PC Power & Cooling when I looked it up for my friends. (I think he has the 750 silencer), It would be very strange for pc power & cooling to pay to get it certified after it already was once by seasonic.
    edited February 2008
    http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4L2W&CategorySelectedId=11259&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11259

Gunna go for that one :D I'll tell you how it goes once I've bought it, but that won't be immediately since my dad hates me buying stuff online :P
  • edited February 2008
    According to jonnyGURU, that psu is a FSP Epsilon based unit. The only problem I have with the higher wattage psu's based on the Epsilon platform are the higher ripple readings at high loads compared to other quality units. If you look around, you will see multiple reviews of Epsilon based psu's that show this to be a problem endemic to the Epsilon based platform, no matter who is selling the psu. But it would be a sufficient psu for your purposes.

Since I run Seti on my farm (and folding before that until the wu sizes got too outrageous), I also look for long term reliability in my psu purchases the last few years. And lower ripple should be easier in the long term on components that are at 100% load 24/7/365.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited February 2008
    Well, i need a new psu, you could always give me some :P.

maybe you should just spend that extra money and buy a really good one, like 750w or something, then atleast your covered for any future upgrades... maybe sli...

Ive been told that Corsair psu's are brilliant so i am going to recommend a 750w Corsair...