8800GTX replacement?

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited February 2008 in Hardware
I need a card that will play 1080p video as well as all the current games I'm playing, Crysis, COD4, GRAW2 and the R6 games.

My 8800GTX is working great at this, but I need a video card that will play video on my new tv, and the Radeon 2400HD in there won't cut it.

I was thinking of throwing my 8800GTX into that system because of the RGB component output that it has and get a new card in my main system.

I was looking at the 9800GX2, but if I can avoid dropping $500+ on a new card, but not lose any performance, I'd like to do that.

I'm torn between the BFG 8800GT 512MB and the BFG 8800GTS 512MB. Both of which I can get for under $300 Cdn, and both of which seem to be either the same or better than the 8800GTX in benchmarks.

Comments

• HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I'd like to reccomend the 8800GTS 512- mine's running at 800/1000 overclocked and I've still not finished testing- If you overclock the fan and get a little bit extra I've managed to get it at 800Mhz and 47C loaded.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    What do you mean your GTX won't play video on your TV? It's the world's second most powerful video card...
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    What do you mean your GTX won't play video on your TV? It's the world's second most powerful video card...

The GTX plays 1080P fine, but it's my main system and I'm moving one to a different room, but not the one with the GTX. It's the 2400HD that can't.
    edited February 2008
    So the card got here today.

BFG 8800GTS OC 512MB.

I've rethought how I'm going to do this.

My current plan is to take the 8800GTX in my main system, switch to to the second system and use the 8800GTS in my main box. I'm going to run some benchmarks to see what, if any performance difference there is, and how well the 8800GTS handles gaming at 1920x1200.
    edited February 2008
    I did a couple of before and after benchmarks tonight.
    With the 8800GTX using the Dec 19 nVidia drivers, I ran 3dmark06 3 times, the average was 13137.
    Pulled the GTX out, put the GTS in and turned everything back on. I uninstalled the drivers when I got back into windows then reinstalled the same ones.
    Ran 3 more rounds of 3dmark06 and averaged 13759, 662 more than with a "faster" video card.

So far, I'm impressed.

I did a slight OC with nTune and got the card upto 711/990, and the only round of 3dmark came back at 14154. I've still got a bit of tweeking and testing to make sure it stays stable, but so far so good.