Why I love Geil!!

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited November 2003 in Hardware
I love geil cause of thier price/perfomance ratio AND the lifetime warrenty. I pushed my 512 stick of ram alittle to far and it went on the fritz and fried. I send it back no questions asked get a package today ( 2 weeks later exactly ) With a NEW stick of 512 ULTRA ram. The ram i sent them was not ultra and the letter i got says "sorry for any inconvienience and please except this upgraded ram as a replacement" Maybe its cause i was very nasty on the phone but hey i got me another ultra stick to match mine I have now!

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I've heard from numerous people that Giel is a nightmare when it comes to RMA and Customer care in general.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited November 2003
    but if it wasn't geil it might not have fried in the first place. then you wouldn't have had down time and thus being more productive (playing games and chatting!) :P

j/k i just wanted to be a smartass. ^^
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    GEiL is a nightmare in manufacturing, post-manufacturing quality control, delivered product, and untruthful advertising.

The memory business still remains as one which closely adheres to the old saying "You get what you pay for."

GEiL is cheap because the products are cheap in many regards.

Nevertheless, enjoy your new RAM.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Hey i got all of it for free anyways!
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    Sell it to a <s>sucker</s> knowlegable E-Bay user and go purchase some Corsair or Mushkin :D
    edited November 2003
    :D Agreed!
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited November 2003
    hey I'm stealing this thread.

SimGuy, what timings do you run on that ram with DDR500 (I have the same ram on an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe) ???

That would get me 4ghz on 1:1 ... I would need some mad cooling probably .... I don't think the slk900 would cool that.
    edited November 2003
    2x256 MB Corsair XMS3700

3-4-4-7 @ 2.9V DDR500.

Want 4.0 GHz from a P4 3.2C that has a thermal dissipation of over 100 W's? You'll need a Prometeia Mach II or VapoChill. :D

Or... a Multiplier unlocked P4 :D. Crank up the bus speed, lower the multi and away to the races you go :)

Mmmm.... P4C800-E, P4 3.2C @ 4.3 GHz on the Prometeia Mach II. :D
    edited November 2003
    Or a prescott <s>nuclear reactor-powered phase change unit</s> heatsink.
    edited November 2003
    You mean this bad boy? :D
    fan1.jpg 153.2K
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited November 2003
    Figured as much. All the 4ghz systems I have seen were prometeia.

If I don't o/c the ram and go DDR466 @ 1:1 that would be 3.73ghz on the cpu. Think a 900u can handle that? (Getting that blizzard case with 3 120mm panaflos)

Wheeee, HIJACKED this thread like a MOFO.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited November 2003
    wow .... that is a MONSTER. Where can I get one :P
    edited November 2003
    What fan do you have on that 900U?

As well, do you know your FPO/Batch code for your P4?
    edited November 2003
    Yep. That big ugly son'mo'bitch.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited November 2003
    Hmmmmm, the CPU is from a DELL Poweredge 400sc, made in "insert latin american country here" forget where. I'll get the code when I get home tonight.

The fan is a 92mm sunon.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited November 2003
    Thrax had this to say
    GEiL is a nightmare in manufacturing, post-manufacturing quality control, delivered product, and untruthful advertising.

Thrax, im wondering how you know this for a fact? Memeory needs to be manufactued to certain standards, and it may not overclock as high Corsair or Mushkin, but it is only gauranteed to run at the rated speed. Remeber, the overclocking runs the chip out of spec, and the manufacturer places no warranty on that(thus voiding the warranty). I agree it may not be the memory of choice for the overclocker, but they offer a pretty good price for stock or slightly OC'ed systems.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited November 2003
    Radeon_Man had this to say
    Thrax had this to say

Thrax, im wondering how you know this for a fact? Memeory needs to be manufactued to certain standards, and it may not overclock as high Corsair or Mushkin, but it is only gauranteed to run at the rated speed. Remeber, the overclocking runs the chip out of spec, and the manufacturer places no warranty on that(thus voiding the warranty). I agree it may not be the memory of choice for the overclocker, but they offer a pretty good price for stock or slightly OC'ed systems.

Read some newegg reviews. I've seen numerous times people complaining that the memory needed extra voltage or would just refuse to run at spec.

Why I love Mushkin, Corsair, KHX.

When I tinker and push it to the limit, it doesn't die.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited November 2003
    GeIL is nothing special. I put a stick of it in this computer that I built for my sis... It ran pretty decent for the money, but nothing spectacular. Best it would do for benchmarking purposes was 218Mhz at 3-3-6-2.5C, or 206Mhz at 3-3-6-2C. It ran spec (200Mhz 3-3-6-2C) without any problems.

If I had to do it again, I would just spend the $40 for Corsair or the million dollars (heh) for Mushkin. Seriously, Mushkin is priced crazy. I guess they figure that if they make it cost more people will think it is better? I mean it's good, but it isn't 50% faster than Corsair... So it shouldn't cost 50% more. I haven't even looked at their prices for a lonnnng time, so I might be way off. That's just a measure of how bad their pricing turned me off.
    edited November 2003
    Their modules aren't 2/2/2 for speeds where they should be, firstly. That's a big no-no. Kills your memory bus efficiency on EITHER platform.

Secondly, there's a gigantic, huge, gimongous, titanic listing out there of people who have their 2.5/3/3 pc3200 GeiL memory, which is supposed to do 200MHz, 2.6v, at 2.5/3/3. Right?

Try 3/4/4, 2.8v, and 190MHz to get it stable.

That happens a LOT with GeiL, a sickening amount. I see it EVERYWHERE, a lot more than I have seen problems with almost ANY other memory manufacturer of 3200 (Except OCZ, they suck too).

And besides, if it isn't a well-supported fact, I generally avoid saying it.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited November 2003
    thanks bud, i was just curious as to where that comment came from as it sounded like a pretty harsh generalization. That seems like a rip off if it wont run at rated speed...sounds like factory overclock or something...
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited November 2003
    (Except OCZ, they suck too).

OCZ has come a long way since then. That may be the fact for their 3200 line, but everything above is really good memory, often cheaper and better than corsair or mushkin.
    edited November 2003
    Cheaper, yes. Better, objectively not.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    You can critsize my geil anyday! I rather have Corsair but hey 1Gig of DDR3200 for free! would you pass it up or stay with your 512 of pc 2100
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    "And besides, if it isn't a well-supported fact, I generally avoid saying it."
    What a Thraxism, I love it.

The other issue with memory is that some of the higher speed memory has been rated at 3-3-3-8 at high speed, but would not run any tighter at low speeds. This is inicitive of some real board/componant issues.