I think I want one of these

BDRBDR
edited November 2003 in Hardware
I've been looking to change out a case (that I don't particularly like), and since I have a micro ATX in one of these cases, I'm wanting a Micro tower. But, I want one that looks halfway decent, and that takes full sized pci cards.

Whacha think? I'm looking at the black one.

http://www.directron.com/a100case.html

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited November 2003
    that is one very snazzy looking case ... just be wary of the 200w PSU
  • BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    yeah, I got another ps I can use in it.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited November 2003
    Seems pretty nice to me, a little bit retro, but looks fine. See if you can find any reviews of it.
  • BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    It appears to be an
    Athenatech Micro ATX Case w/ 200W Power Supply, Model A100BB.200 - OEM

Also available from NE. I'll check out the reviews.
  • BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    The reviews

It seems to need a low clearance hsf, and that's ok. I have one that came as a part of a retail cpu set.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited November 2003
    Might run hot if it needs low clearance. Wouldn't overclock it too much if it does.
  • BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    I think I will order it. It has the nice sleek look I like.

Templar, I think I'll put something in it that I wouldn't normaly OC, like this tbird I have sitting here doing nothing.

It solves a problem for me 2 ways. I can use the tbird, and I'll take the cpu that's currently on the micro atx mobo I plan on using, and use it on the new mobo I have on it's way to me, but that's a whole nother build. ;)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    BDR, the solution to the low profile heatsink issue is to get one of the numerous 60mm square copper heatsinks on the market that are not absurdly tall and put a 60x25mm fan on it. I think the case will have room for one of those.

Some heatsinks:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=35-114-011&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=35-114-009&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=35-114-012&depa=1 THIS IS THE ONE I'D GET

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=35-114-013&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=35-110-006&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=35-110-005&depa=1

and even this might work:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=35-110-007&depa=1

Just make sure that you get two Delta 60x25mm 7000rpm case fans. They're pretty loud (but bearable... I've had 2 in a single system before), but they push 40cfm apiece...
  • BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    This is the one I'm planning on using.

omg.. look at zee dust
    edited November 2003
    My advice:
    Take the stock AMD fan off, re-tap the heatsink, and mount one of the Deltas I mentioned on it, or at the very least, get a Sunon K1206PTB1, which does ~25cfm @ minimal noise. I've got two of those AMD retail HSFs that I did just that with (retapped, put a Delta on each one) and the hottest my dual 2500+ system ever got with them was 130*F under full load (2 instances of F@H) with only mediocre case ventillation.

The Ajigo heatsinks that AMD is bundling with their higher-end Athlons now are excellent heatsinks, but the 60x13mm delta fan they have on them really holds them back. I ran one of the 2500s in an A7N8X for a while, and with the stock heatsink, with the case open and everything, it was hitting ~52*C under full load. The fan on them only pushes like 18cfm, and that's the problem. Like I said, I gave mine 40cfm and they perform very, very, VERY well for their size.

At least consider lapping it. The base on both of mine had machine marks that I could see and easily feel with a finger nail. I lapped them to a near mirror finish, and it should make a big difference (I don't actually use them anymore... I bought SLK-800s for the dually, I just keep them around because they perform so well. I may modify the clips so they only clip onto the center lugs, put silent fans on them, and put them in my dual p3-1.4 print server, when the p3-1.4s come down in price)
  • BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    I'll consider that Geeky1. A new fan wouldn't hurt at all.

I have that one on an Epox with an oc'ed 2100 tbred and it does run the hottest of all my towers, and sometimes reboots itself.
    I may put that SLK 900a I got, on the Epox mobo (if it'll fit) and do some switching around.
    edited November 2003
    Should fit with no problem. By the way, the shroud on those things is attached to the heatsink in some funky way that I can't really figure out. It's a friction fit of some kind, I think, but I'm not sure. If you choose to re-tap it for a new fan, you'll either need to remove the shroud and then figure out how to mount it again (I was thinking maybe screws, like Dynatron does with their heatsinks?) or just accept the fact that the two fins on either side of the screw holes will be partially destroyed when you re-tap the holes. You'll have to drill out the hole, which means drilling down into the fins a bit, which will bend the fins and create some burrs that you won't be able to remove, but the impact on performance is negligible at most...
  • BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    or I could just the one you recommended above ^

It sounds a whole lot easier. ;)

Hey, I have a tiny little cpu hsf that is for a Pentium cpu (from 75 to 200 mhz). Looks about the size of some vid card fans.
    Can I use that for anything? vid card? or maybe just the fan for something? It's still in the package, and I got it in with a box of stuff I bought from someone.
    edited November 2003
    post a pic and I could tell you for sure, but I see no reason why not...

Here's my video card cooling (that heatsink look familiar btw? ;))
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I wanted to do some better cooling, but couldn't actually get the shim off my 9700 :(

NS
  • BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    from Radio Shack
  • BDRBDR
    edited November 2003
    and
    edited November 2003
    NS, my shim is still on mine (I refuse to void the warranty)... I just used an extra-thick layer of ceramique, and it makes perfect contact with the ceramique, which makes perfect contact with the chip. No, it's not ideal, but you know what? My 9700 Pro runs <10*F over ambient anyhow, so whether it's ideal or not is really immaterial... :D

BDR, does that thing actually have fins under the fan? If so, you could probably use it as either a chipset or video card cooler...

//Edit, I just saw the second pic. Yeah, you could probably use that as either a chipset or GPU cooler... (probably chipset, I'm not sure I'd trust a high-powered GPU to it...
    edited November 2003
    Yeah, when I cleaned the core off mine, I put a thin layer of ASII on it and put it back together and the screen was going nad, turned out it wasn't making contact at all any more, so I took it apart again and squeezed half the tube onto it and it was fine =/

NS
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited November 2003
    NS how did you try to remove the shim, as I removed mine yesterday in preparation for its dangerden block.

I used a knife blade and carefully inserted it between shim & gpu and then twisted slowly. Did this at each corner till I was able to run the blade the whole way round, gently prizing it off as I went. Have to say they didn't use to much glue thank god.

Regards

Jim

P.s. LP, sorry to go ot.
    edited November 2003
    I couldn't even get a mini-stanley knife under the shim, so there was no way of twisting or prizing it off....

NS
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited November 2003
    NS, oh dear! :(