Use XP Home 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

TimTim Southwest PA
edited August 2008 in Science & Tech
I'm planning to build a new PC sometime soon, and it'll have XP Home 32 bit on it.

No Vista. Not never ever!

I talked to someone today who might be able to get me a copy of XP Home 64 bit.

If they do actually do it, should I run it?

The only reason I would have to run 64 bit is so I could run more than 4 GB of RAM in the new PC. I'd run it all the way to 8 GB maybe! :bigggrin:

Other than being able to handle more than 4 GB of RAM, I have no reason, need, or desire to run 64 bit.

Is this a good idea, or would 64 bit create more problems than it solves? Would any other software have a problem with 64 bit XP Home?

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas
    edited August 2008
    Just double check for drivers for all hardware you are using, 08 server is nice if you can score a free one or know how to get around the time delay with two machines.

I know a few people running x64 just cause.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited August 2008
    Tim, make sure to check Icrontic's Marketplace for your computer parts for your new build. The price comparison engine is awesome.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom
    edited August 2008
    There is no "Xp home 64bit"

Only Xp pro X64 or vista 64bit (Home basic,home premium,business,ultimate)
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas
    edited August 2008
    actually its xp 03 server(pro) 64
  • steadyfluxsteadyflux Maryland
    edited August 2008
    Kinda late to the game, but I remember reading this AskMeFi post about this exact topic before, maybe this will give you some food for thought.

http://ask.metafilter.com/87603/64-is-twice-as-better-as-32-right
  • edited August 2008
    steadyflux wrote:
    Kinda late to the game, but I remember reading this AskMeFi post about this exact topic before, maybe this will give you some food for thought.

http://ask.metafilter.com/87603/64-is-twice-as-better-as-32-right

I don't think most those replies were meant to be hilarious, but wow. Good times.

I've been using XP Pro x64 on most my rigs for well over a year now. It's solid, fast, and I've had absolutely no issues with drivers. It's like XP on steroids, but without the little balls.