US broadband stimulus package attracts criticism

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited February 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    you had 8 years to work on it, now there's someone who is sick of waiting for a way to mess w/ people
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Why are we dumping federal money into broadband? I'm cool with legislating net neutrality and open access, but the rest of this sounds like a waste of funds. Let the private sector determine speeds, etc.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I think its kinda funny that they're angry about open access and minimum speed...

And then deployment time schedules? WTF? That's BAD?
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    We've dumped money and tax breaks on telecom companies for a while. Maybe some results would be nice?
  • edited January 2009
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    We've dumped money and tax breaks on telecom companies for a while. Maybe some results would be nice?

This.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    Why are we dumping federal money into broadband? I'm cool with legislating net neutrality and open access, but the rest of this sounds like a waste of funds. Let the private sector determine speeds, etc.

Because that is one of the things the government can make a real difference in. The government can throw money into building infrastructure to aid the private sector and allow greater expansion. And if it all plays out correctly the growth that the private sector undergoes will pay for the infrastructure and more. Growing the economy.

There is nothing wrong with economic stimulus when it is given to responsible people, organizations, and causes. The government in years past invested in the telecom and power infrastructure and look where we're at now. I think the main problem is people have grown to associate economic stimulus with failure and that is not the case at all.

btw, I fully support open access, speed floors, and rollout/build out deadlines.
    edited January 2009
    The difference here is that roads and bridges directly correlate with commerce. Power infrastructure correlates with commerce. But upgrading cell phones to 4G and giving farmers broadband will not make a big impact on business. There are better jobs than AT&T call center technician and Comcast modem installer that could be created instead.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    There is nothing wrong with economic stimulus when it is given to responsible people, organizations, and causes.

I'm curious which telcos and broadband companies you think fall under this classification.
    The government in years past invested in the telecom and power infrastructure and look where we're at now.
    Yes, look where we're at now; paying too much for poor service. Subsidized industries are historically inefficient and slow to progress. The two most subsidized industries in the US, healthcare and education, are the industries with the fastest growing costs. Subsidies are so distorting to the market that they should only be used in dire circumstances.

I like the neutrality legislation (although it wouldn't be necessary in a truly free market) but I sincerely believe that we should just let the market build the network.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    The difference here is that roads and bridges directly correlate with commerce. Power infrastructure correlates with commerce. But upgrading cell phones to 4G and giving farmers broadband will not make a big impact on business. There are better jobs than AT&T call center technician and Comcast modem installer that could be created instead.

Giving kids in extremely rural areas access to a worldwide store of knowledge and media at a high data rate is a little bit more than 'giving farmers broadband'. The world simply moves too fast for anyone to get a real, usable education without at least some access to the net.

Additionally, pushing the rollout of 4G wireless networks serves to allow for better communications (more range with fewer towers, potentially), and the ability to extend high-speed data almost anywhere in the country.

I think this would be a good thing, and is less than 1% of the allocated stimulus money. With the proposed restrictions in place, it will probably be the best-spent money of the entire package.

Do congressional and senate republicans even realize how they sound when they resist things like this?

:D "We want to extend high-speed internet access across the country to anyone that wants it. We want it to be affordable, accessible, and an example to which the rest of the world would aspire. And we want it rolled out quickly".

:crazy: "Well, I don't know about all of this openness and affordability. I think we should allow the telcos to decide what kind of speed and openness and pricing they wish to put together, and let them set the timetable, because that's really what's best for everyone".
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    There is an interesting and growing correlation between the education of a nation and its rates for broadband penetration.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited January 2009
    What we need is a broadband stimulus package that includes a provision to revert domestic fuel economy requirements to pre-1970's era oil crisis figures.

Also, give me back my leaded 102 octane fuel. kthx

(I can't believe we elect these people.)
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I can't believe we RE-elect these people.
    edited January 2009
    Guess who lives in the country? Me.

Guess who doesn't have cable? Me.

I fully understand that the Internet is a valuable tool for education. I also know that as long as you have a phone line, you can get on the web. Dial-up exists. It's cheap and it works for basic communication and web browsing. People just need to be more patient and understand that broadband is a privilege, not a right.

We did the dial-up thing from 1998 until 2006 or so (barely hitting 14.4 speeds due to the old phone system in the area), when we finally got wireless broadband. My house has antenna Internet now, to the tune of $40/month. Rural access is improving greatly already. More legislation seems like a waste of money when the private sector is doing fine, and there are already existing initiatives to help businesses.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited January 2009
    Pete...

They're going to waste your money. They just are. The government is like a teenager with a tax refund check. Except they just have a tax check. It's getting spent. Along with about $2 Trillion more that we borrow from China.

If we're going to borrow sum trillions of dollars for stimulus, wouldn't you at least agree that investing some of it in the information superhighway is a good idea?
  • edited February 2009
    Once everyone has broadband, the beast will be able to take over. Therefore I quit my taxpaying job. And soon will disconnect from cable tv and the internet. MY soul is not for sale!
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2009
    I'm with Alex on this one, I think fast internet being more widely available can only be a good thing and I really like that this puts even more pressure on ISP's to maintain net neutrality. Yes, the government will botch it up though, it will take longer and be more expensive but as long as it doesn't turn into our jacked up education system I'll be content.