• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Well played, MS.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Fantastic!
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Well, it looks like theres no reason for businesses not to switch.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Very cool!
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2009
    There's still a reason for business not to switch - time, effort, still lack of need for windows 7, need to test software on 7 and then if it doesn't work you need to deal with the VM version of it etc... The cushion will be that when business have to switch, this will help to soften the blow.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Can't wait to try this out. We, as an institution, skipped Vista, partially for compatibility issues. If XPM works as advertised, then we'll finally get our systems off of XP and into the modern age.
  • edited May 2009
    This means they will be COMPELLED to continue supporting XP - and bugfixing!?!?! Even for those us dedicated to hang on to XP till our fingers bleed (whilst we cut our teeth on Linux) ;\
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Broozm wrote:
    This means they will be COMPELLED to continue supporting XP - and bugfixing!?!?! Even for those us dedicated to hang on to XP till our fingers bleed (whilst we cut our teeth on Linux) ;\

I don't think Microsoft would continue to support XP the way you'd want them to. They may continue to support XPM, but not the real XP OS. I would have hung on to XP till my hand needed to be cut off, but Windows 7 is the Samurai Sword.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2009
    The unanswered question If you have 64bit-Win7 is the VM XP 64bit as well or do you have the option of 64bit and 32bit?

I wonder if the VM could be used to have VM-versions of all the old Windows OS....if it's possible I could see someone building a set up with everything from 3.1 to vista for kicks and giggles
    edited November 2009
    The XP in Win7 XPM is 32-bit. One of the purposes of providing the environment is for people using 16-bit software, which cannot run on a 64-bit system (well, Win64 is not designed to run 16-bit).

YOu should be able to run a 64-bit XP environment, but you probably won't have the integration and seamless features that you get via XPM. Why would you want to run 64-bit XP anyway, when you're already running the far superior Win7?
    edited November 2009
    I don't want to run 64bit-XP, I don't know why someone would want to run 64bit-xp unless they had an app that was trapped in 64bit-XP land. I was just wondering if the 64bit-win7 would have 64bit-XPM. It made more sense that it would be 32bit.

I would want to run win95 or win98se, maybe even win3.1 ...I have a few programs trapped in those OS that will not run in higher versions.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    You would need to use a third-party emulation tool like VMWare or VirtualBox.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Or buy new apps. :-p
    edited November 2009
    So the virtualPC for XPM is specific to just XPM and is not a platform that will allow other virtual-OS to be installed.

I worked with a company once that is still using a DOS based program for their business. Now in 2009 they are still using the program. Something with the program version prevented it from working in XP so the company still works in win98se. the issue with the program was related to the FCB in dos which was removed in XP; I found a work around but it didn't work when their other IT guy tried it. DOSbox also failed to run it.

As for my old programs I would love to get new programs, but so far I have just lived without them. Some like the classic game pandora, there is just no new version. So you either: live without the nostalgia, try emulating, or use a virtualOS. I can live with any of these courses of action.
    edited November 2009
    You can create other VMs within the VPC install. You just can't to the seamless integration and publishing to the Win7 start menu outside of the provided XPM environment.
    edited November 2009
    So it can be done and you don't need any third party VM tools.....It's just not as cool, clean and "ooh something shiny" as XPM
    edited November 2009
    Pretty much. Though MS has made it pretty clear that XPM is for customers who MUST run either 16-bit code, or code that for some reason cannot handle the 6.x kernel in Vista/7, and is not necessarily a panacea for compatibility.

To Be Honest, it's not really all that 'ooh shiny!', either. It's basic, still uses XP window decoration, etc. I use it primarily for some of the work software we have here that craps up the system (Novell Client, GroupWise Client (NT Mail? In 2009? Really?), and our VPN client), moreso than for compatibility.
    edited November 2009
    I love how companies don't plan to continually invest in infrastructure and then try to get every last drop of blood from the stone that they can. In the short term, they make a little more money; but in the long term they typically incur greater costs in labor and huge costs in converting or rebuilding.

Good to know where XPM really stands and some good uses for it.