What is DirectX 11?

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited September 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Robert, you lately became my favorite technical journalist. Right topic at the right time written very well. Way to go!
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited September 2009
    Nice article again,

You show us the Thraxipedia at is best :)

Keep the articles coming, its nice to read you everytime !

More on the topic : the real problem with DIRECTX11 is that every game that will be developped to be also on console wont use DIRECTX11, so except "exclusive PC" games, we wont find much games to support it until the next generation of console comes out. (The actual generation cant use anything more than directX9, both ps3 and xbox360)

With the PS3 life-span to last up to 10 year (dunno for xbox), there's still much wait to do. That's sad, because directX11 looks AMASING :(
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    Wait. Does this mean that DirectX 10.1 cards will be innately directx11-compatible?

My radeon 4850s may suddenly be more appealing than my GTX 285 if so.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    The direction GPUs took with DirectX 10.x inspired DX11, but you will need DirectX 11 hardware.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    The Vista adoption rate hurt DX10 acceptance and progress. 11 will hit the ground running with an existing Vista install base. The fact that Windows 7 is a solid OS is not going to hurt either. If you are running XP, kiss it goodbye, the reason to upgrade is upon you.
    edited September 2009
    The Vista adoption rate hurt DX10 acceptance and progress. 11 will hit the ground running with an existing Vista install base. The fact that Windows 7 is a solid OS is not going to hurt either. If you are running XP, kiss it goodbye, the reason to upgrade is upon you.

Amen ! :thumbup

But still, i think console are going to hurt DX11 game developpement, but hope i am wrong :P
  • edited September 2009
    GooD,

You say that 'More on the topic : the real problem with DIRECTX11 is that every game that will be developped to be also on console wont use DIRECTX11'

Dirt 2, when released on PC will be DX11. While I do understand your concern, I think that many companies will take that extra step to include DX11 in their PC games.
    edited September 2009
    Then computer gaming experience will become more and more visually better than console gaming :)
  • edited September 2009
    there wont be any sort of dx11 games before the end of 2011. rest assured . and that dirt 2 is going to take advantage of dx 11 is nothing more than a hype.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Great article, Robert! I understand things now.
  • edited September 2009
    its kinda pointless though untill developers start coding their games for multi core processors.
    playing L4D on either a 3Ghz dual core or a intell I7 920 and i got the exact same results.
    this is exactly why people say PC gaming is dying, because developers have gone cheap and port games from consoles to the PC and the pc versions have low recommendations.
    the whole point of PC gaming was to do what consoles could not, there not doing that now so why are they still here.
    i understand why but developers need to produce higher quality games on the PC, like fear 2 i was expecting the PC version to blow the console versions out of the water.
    it did not, i was disappointed very disappointed.
    theres new CPUs out every few months theres new GPUs out every few months but what for?
    is their 1 game that takes advantage of the extra power?
    nope.
    i built a new PC with a I7920 CPU asus ROG motherboard 8GB DDR3 ram with 1 nvidia 9800GTX+
    and i can play any game i want on max settings, crysis? no problems.
    theres like what 4 cards above the 9800GTX but what for? if a 9800GTX is powerful enough why spend a hundred or more on a more powerful card?
    its not going to give you any advantages so whats the point?
  • edited September 2009
    Very nice article. DX11 shall pave the way for great looking games that low to medium hardware users can enjoy without having horrific frame rates.

Also Windows 7 is AMAZING! I'm currently running Windows 7 Ultimate RC and I love it to no end. So DX11 and Windows 7 should provide, fingers crossed, a boost in performance for every gamer, extreme or laid back.

Hope to see final screenshots of DX11 soon :D
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited September 2009
    Agreed, great job condensing the technology to a level we can all understand!
  • edited September 2009
    buying a DirectX 11 Enabled GPU is a better option for those who are willing to build a new system than for those who already own a good one coz it won't bring a difference in terms of quality (at least for the next year or so) and even if it did, it won't be "huge"... when you play, you care about playing not about some technical features...

so, I see no point upgrading (if you have a good GPU) + the prices will fall down next year especially when nVIDIA's GT300 GPUs will hit the market...