Upgrade the Windows 7 RC to retail

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Nic, if you're doing a clean install, you don't need to reset the minclient or minserver at all. In fact, you don't even need to dump the disc contents. Just pop the disc in the optical drive and go to town on your hard drive.
  • Nic
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for ALL the help(i really apprecate it:)) but i have followed the instructions and have even tried a clean install instead of an upgrade (thanks Snarkasim) but i think i will have to be destined with the rc. Thanks ALL:) If any one has any ideas pls post, there is still a twinkle of hope.... ....
    edited October 2009
    Why are you "destined" to stick with the RC (that will expire in June 2010)? Are you trying to do this with a non-retail version of Windows 7?

If so, yes, you're stuck with it. Piracy doesn't swing it around here.
  • edited October 2009
    when you upgrade from RC to Professional, are you able to active the upgraded Windows 7 Professional with the windows 7 professional key ?
    edited October 2009
    With a true retail Win 7 Professional key, yes.
  • edited October 2009
    I love you Mr. Hallock (In a tech/geeky way)...this worked seamlessly. What an ease, and peace of mind not having to restore all those programs. **Sigh** Thank you!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    You're very welcome!
  • Nic
    edited October 2009
    Hi to all once again. I think i might be the biggest idiot in the world. At the start of the tutorial it says insert you windows 7 dvd, is this meant to be the rc or rtm dvd?
    edited October 2009
    It's supposed to be your retail DVD, the final code version that you hope to end up with.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited October 2009
    Nice guide. I've got a couple of Win 7 upgrade disks coming from Sony and from Lenovo. Any idea if these are these going to be retail disks with an OEM logo on them or will they have some code that prevents me from using them on another machine?
    edited October 2009
    Unknown.
  • edited October 2009
    I have a netbook that I installed Windows 7 RC on using a USB flash drive. I'm assuming that I can use the above process to upgrade RC using my flash drive?
    edited October 2009
    Yes, if you copy the retail DVD to the flash drive, then edit the minclient file on the USB stick, and perform the registry changes on the host OS, it will work fine. :)
  • edited October 2009
    Why Would We Pay For Windows 7 I Feel Personally That Microsoft Owe Us A Free Version Of Windows After The Abomination That Is Vista Infact microsoft Should Be Knocking on Doors Handing Out Free Copy's To Anyone Who Brought A Computer With Vista On It
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    You capitalized every word you typed, your argument is invalid.

Furthermore, if you didn't like Vista then you should have found a manufacturer that offers XP or no OS and bought from them instead. Or you could have built your own and installed XP. Microsoft doesn't owe you anything, you're not entitled to anything, be a more active consumer next time and don't buy the product if it's bad. Oh, and before you accuse me of being a fanboy, this is coming from someone who is probably more critical of Microsoft than most of the people on these forums.
  • Nic
    edited October 2009
    Who is this nick from the second previous post? I really and sincerly hope you are not trying to use my name. Which is nic, not nick.
    edited October 2009
    Why would he be trying to use your name?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Wait wait.....there are TWO NICKS?!!:honoes:
  • edited October 2009
    Ok, I can be classified as a complete idiot when it comes to Windows OS but here goes. I had a computer that had Windows XP that I loaded the Windows 7 RC. (BTW...I love it!!!)

I purchased the download copy of Windows 7 Upgrade on 10/22. They will also send me a backup disk sometime later on. will I have problems using the upgrade disk because I had XP on the machine before? Will the upgrade copy be just fine to get Windows 7 operational on my computer. Any insight would be appreciated.
    edited October 2009
    If the Windows 7 RC replaced Windows XP completely, you'll have no problems.
  • edited October 2009
    How do I verify that was done? When I installed the RC, I wiped out all the pgrms that I had on XP. Will I need to follow the steps above or will I follow the normal upgrade steps. Thanks for your help Robert!!!
    edited October 2009
    Let me rephrase: If you can no longer load/start/run Windows XP on your machine, just follow the guide as presented, and everything will be okay. :)
  • Nic
    edited October 2009
    Yip there seems to be two Nicks, this Nic aka me and the other Nick.
    edited October 2009
    Glad we've cleared that up. Now how about we keep on topic?

Are OEM full installs available yet anywhere? I keep forgetting to look around.
    edited October 2009
    I read that article and everything. Damn my forgetfulness...
  • edited October 2009
    Will this work with the OEM versions as well or only the full retail?
    edited October 2009
    OEM versions will work just as well.
  • edited October 2009
    I want to go from RC 32 to Win7 Home Premium 64 using an upgrade DVD. Do I have to go back to Vista and then clean install, or will the trick mentioned here work?
    edited October 2009
    You will have to perform a clean install to migrate to 64-bit (good choice!). Combing x86 and x64 files is not supported.
This discussion has been closed.