Top 11 gaming fails of 2009

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited January 2010 in Gaming

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    ...and here I was thinking GH:VH sucked because no Sammy.

-Bobby
  • WattyzWattyz Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I wasn't a big Sammy fan, but yeah, it kinda sucks. A few good songs...should've known better than to get another 'group' GH...Aerosmith GH sucks too
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    omg wattyz! <3
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited January 2010
    I can't wait for Duke Nukem Forever to be released!
  • JingallsJingalls Eugene, OR
    edited January 2010
    GameRanger is a pretty foolproof way to play borderlands online.
    It can be found at www.gameranger.com
  • edited January 2010
    "Gran Turismo 5 Delayed… Again"
    How many times must this be said? GT5 has NEVER had a release date until the one for March was announced. How can you possibly delay something without a release date? It's been delayed... ONCE, not "again."
  • edited January 2010
    gt5 never had a release date therefore can not be delayed...again
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Dammit Lynx how could you have made such a simple mistake? Stop being human this instant.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    You can delay things without release dates. It's easy. Just say "HAY GUISE ITS COMING OUT WITHIN THE NEXT YEAR OR SO" and then don't release it.

Not that it matters. I played it at CES and it's awesome.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Server issues and slow patches are rough, but can be forgivable since the end result is a decent working game. But man, this makes just another tally mark of shame for the evil company that is GameStop. I really do wish a big company would rise up as their competitor. Oh wait, they already ate them. It was called Electronics Boutique. And I hated them about as much. Sorry, moot point.

Duke Nukem Forever was a pretty bloody bad messup though. Not at all forgivable. The only thing that could have been worse is if they HAD released the game and it turned out to be a massive steaming pile of pig feces - which in my opinion would have been likely considering all the hiccups. So on that note, maybe they did us all a favor and saved us the time and the money.

As for our Oz friends, it really is a disappointment. They may yet update their abhorrent system or ratings, but in the meantime, I really do feel for them. For such a cool and modern country, they sure do have to live in the gaming crapper. See also: Yahtzee's rant in his Left 4 Dead 2 episode of "Zero Punctuation".
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I am livid that you would call Activision -- ACTIVISION -- the company that "birthed" the music-game genre. You, sir, have done a massive disservice to true fans everywhere -- the ones that know it was Harmonix that birthed widespread music gaming -- by insinuating that Activision, the pompous jerkwads with more money than sense who bought the GH brand after Harmonix created and nurtured it, invented the genre rather than driving it headlong into the ground with boss battles, band-specific releases, and game redesigns that only Activision could envision as "good for gaming." What? Harmonix made a guitar game? Let's buy it and mass-market it all to hell. What? Harmonix moved on and made a full-band game that's WAY better than our game? Let's make a band game!

Bupsby Lynxmiller, I do not understand how you could have made such an egregious error, so I will assume you were coerced by the dark forces that reside within Activision's walls into saying such an untruth. I expect a retraction shortly.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Guitar Hero: Van Halen is a painful indication of the fallout of a genre spilling over its saturation point

This is so very true. The original first few games were great fun (and still are). With friends and a few beers, immense entertainment. But the genre is so very played out now. It's become a cash cow. The engines for these games haven't improved, the basic mode of operation hasn't changed. Time for someone to shot this in the arm or it's going to die.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Jingalls wrote:
    GameRanger is a pretty foolproof way to play borderlands online.
    It can be found at www.gameranger.com

Gameranger is how I was eventually able to play the game on the first night after 3.5 hours of tweaking...

Snark - I know Harmonix birthed Guitar Hero. I remember being a HUGE fan of RedOctane back in 2005 when they were making the In The Groove DDR clone (which was FAR superior). I got excited when I heard they were making a guitar game with Harmonix, but I didn't think it would catch on.

In my original draft, I listed Harmonix. But let's face it - Guitar Hero was a niche game that didn't see an eceptionally large success. The game was still young and needed work. The series didn't truly catch on with the mainstream until Guitar Hero 2 came out, and by that point, Harmonix needed the backing of Activision to make it happen. Activision saw potential in the genre, so they nurtured it.

It was simplified in editing because it's more readable the way it's presented now. If you want to be completely technically accurate, then it was RedOctane and Harmonix collectively, then Activision that birthed the genre. And if you want to be super technical, then GuitarFreaks overseas beat all of them to it anyways, making it all a moot point.

Regarding GT5: Polyphony Digital's continual push of half-portions must be noted. Sure, the game has been delayed, and it will be released when it's done (something all of us will appreciate). But in the mean time, they release prologue. They release a time trial demo. They promo all sorts of 'not quite' versions of the game. Stop messing around with these frivolous extras and focus on completing the game!
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited January 2010
    Quote:" To cap it all off, the PC version of Modern Warfare hit store shelves at the low, low price of $59.99."
    To make matters even worse Valve still employs their 1$ = 1€ policy, meaning that for example MW2 costs €59,99 in Europe, waaay overpriced.
    That equals almost $87.

Edit: The Euro symbol looks fine here in the forum, but when I look at it in the gaming category it isn't encoded properly.

€ = Euro :)
  • edited January 2010
    i think you guys missed the biggest faliure of all
    that was codemasters operation flashpoint dragon rising a failure on every console
    a game first expected by its pc base since it was designed for pc moding as the previous game and promised by codemasters for the mod community,
    which then turned the game was designed for console so to be a moneymaker and then ported to console, add to insult since the game structure as a sandbox realy only works on the pc with mission editor the designers gave no editor for the consoles but just 10 lousy short missions you could make on editor in a day that came with the pc game, also the promised dedi support on the back cover was not there, simply a lie and later the limited modding was stopped with new patch and no future mod support

simply codemasters is the worst of them all

shows how profit greed gaming corporations have become so stupid that they think they ill succeed better by decieving fans.
  • edited January 2010
    You've got it wrong about Australia. Its not that we are not mature enough for these games but we dont have a classification for these games. Our classification ends at 16, we dont have an 18+ classification.
    Its being lobbied in parliament to include this age bracket.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    We do know, but that's not the point of satire. :)
    edited January 2010
    Redz - I'll agree with you that OFP DR was a disappointment compared to the original game, and worthy of a fail, certainly. However, we DO have ArmA and ArmA II, which is in all ways a better game that the true successor to OFP, so with that, I'm happy :D
  • WattyzWattyz Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    omg wattyz! <3
    Hello there young man :bigggrin:
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    one that pissed me off the most was the SC2 delay
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Once they announced that SC2 was going to be a game in 3 parts I pretty much lost interest in it right there. If they cost more than 20$ each I won't be buying any of them.
    edited January 2010
    The first part contains the entire multiplayer campaign, so anything between 20-50 is alright with me. Don't care 'bout the rest.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    multi is the only reason SCII should be that price
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Lynx and Snark - If you really want to get super technical NanaOn-Sha was the first with PaRappa the Rapper. But that's more a rhythm game than a "music" game although if you missed the rhythm PaRappa wouldn't rap the lyrics. Which essentially is the same thing in GH or RB.
    edited January 2010
    You stop that Koreish!

I'm really not that interested in SCII's multiplayer. I've never been a huge MP fan when it comes to RTS. For me, it's all about single player skirmish. I don't need campaigns, story modes, or multiplayer. I just want skirmish. I'm hoping SCII will allow skirmish with all three sides.
  • edited January 2010
    Hey I had a fork-bracelet - but that was in 1995, and to the best of my knowledge was something between me and an old girlfriend! How the hell did this catch on and where are my royalties???
  • edited January 2010
    LOL OMG wrong site, wrong article!
    edited January 2010
    whatisthis.png
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    :topic:
    Koreish wrote:
    Lynx and Snark - If you really want to get super technical NanaOn-Sha was the first with PaRappa the Rapper. But that's more a rhythm game than a "music" game although if you missed the rhythm PaRappa wouldn't rap the lyrics. Which essentially is the same thing in GH or RB.

Donkey Konga predates PaRappa and even had proprietary controllers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Konga

Nintendo invents everything :tongue:

-Bobby

/:topic:
    edited January 2010
    PaRappa was for the original Playstation. It's 7 years older than Donkey Konga.