World of Warcraft: Icecrown attempt limit

ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
edited January 2010 in Gaming

Comments

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Huh. I've never heard of attempt limits before. What exactly is the purpose? I don't understand how multiple attempts are a bad thing.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Multiple attempts let bad players win in the same way a mouse that runs a maze a billion times eventually gets his cheese. It's not skill. It also allows Blizzard to artificially extend the lifetime of their new content, thus reducing the burden to create new material for the good guilds who have the practiced raiders to crush their hard content.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Could be a way to reduce repair bills, especially for plate wearers, but 15 wipes will still cost a lot to fix.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    To troll lightly, as the one guy in the room that never understood the cultural phenominon that is WOW.

Why does anyone even care? Seriously, does Blizzard really need to give their ultra obsesive audience another thing to stress out about?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    To reiterate, its to extend the lifetime of their current content. As time goes on there is an intent to add attempts to the total possible per lockout so that all the bads can catch up before Cataclysm.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    To troll lightly, as the one guy in the room that never understood the cultural phenominon that is WOW.

Why does anyone even care? Seriously, does Blizzard really need to give their ultra obsesive audience another thing to stress out about?

The players care, and they all pay $15 a month for Blizzard to make them happy, so ... you know. 11+ million players. do the math ;)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    The players care, and they all pay $15 a month for Blizzard to make them happy, so ... you know. 11+ million players. do the math ;)

Holy Cow, are there 11 million active WOW accounts? I knew it was a big deal, I know there were probably a few million accounts, but eleven all paying from month to month?

I was just lamenting on another thread how we can't seem to get more than 50 players across the globe to play Shattered Horizon at any given time and hell, you pay that fee once and pay all you want for free. Now I know where all the PC gamers are.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Yup, there are more active WoW accounts than there are people in Belgium.

If WoW was a US state, it'd be the 7th largest.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Yes, 11 million (and counting) active accounts. It's the most lucrative video game in history.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Blizzard should use those facts for advertising.

"World of Warcraft. More active players than people in Belgium!"

"World of Warcraft. Applying to become the 51st state - the STATE of Warcraft, where all residents must play WoW!".
  • edited January 2010
    To break it down that would be $165,000,000 a month from Blizzard. This does not including the cards, t-shirts, hats, and naming rights; which would also bring in several million. for a year, that is $1,980,000,000. Humm, I bet someone is rich.

AKA= Dunnwar-Alliance-Aggramar Server= one of those 11 million payers above.