SanDisk announces G3 series SSD

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    You had me at "10-year warranty". I can't think of ANY computer component before that's had a TEN year warranty. Some things have "lifetime" warranties, but still. 10 is pretty incredible. Because imagine what will be here to replace it come 2020.

While the costs of SSD's have still kept me at bay, I'm still considering getting a smaller one for my primary C: drive to replace my aging WD Raptor with 139 GB usable.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    They can warranty it from now until forever, but if it fails with my data on it, then I lose my stuff, right? Yes, I know you should always have backups.

And "typical usage scenarios". What is typical? I think most here will agree than I am not typical.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    You had me at "10-year warranty".

And lost me again with the prices. However, once the prices come down, I'll definitely look at Sandisk to see if they're still offering such a warranty.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Now this makes me consider plonking the cash down for an SSD. I'd be so tempted to try and make it fail though just because I'm a vindictive bastard.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    SSD prices aren't dropping very quickly, I had expected them to be more affordable by now. 1 TB hard drives didn't stay expensive this long.
  • OJ
    edited February 2010
    "Tim

They can warranty it from now until forever, but if it fails with my data on it, then I lose my stuff, right? Yes, I know you should always have backups.

And "typical usage scenarios". What is typical? I think most here will agree than I am not typical."

LOL... if you're storing important documents on the main drive of a Windows based PC you deserve everything you get especially if you visit this site regularly you should know better. Unfortunately, you doing this does represent the typical user which is why I always recommend clients to invest in some form of solid state storage.