Apple app store bans sexy apps

2»

Comments

• GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited February 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    They're not selling the apps - they're (arbitrarily) preventing other people from selling their apps.

And? It's their platform. Are you saying that Apple shouldn't have the right to sell what they want (or not sell) on their own platform?

Should I be able to force my "right" to sell my fruit in your lawn? After all, you saying I can't see fruit in your yard but one of your friends can is just an unfair, arbitrary judgment against me.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Grimnoc wrote:
    And? It's their platform. Are you saying that Apple shouldn't have the right to sell what they want (or not sell) on their own platform?

Should I be able to force my "right" to sell my fruit in your lawn? After all, you saying I can't see fruit in your yard but one of your friends can is just an unfair, arbitrary judgment against me.

I know it sounds unfair, but there are legal parallels here. For instance, you can't specify what kind of roommate you're looking for because of fair housing laws. I believe you're allowed to specify sex, but not race, occupation, age, etc. (I am not a lawyer). Not a perfect example, but I wanted to frame this within discrimination: What if Apple decided to ban apps that espouse gang culture because of violent implications? They might look racist. And they'd look hypocritical if they didn't ban all violent video games.

Whether or not a distributor disallowing commerce with a particular agent (think I'm screwing up the terminology here) is unfair sort of depends on where you arbitrarily draw a line on the spectrum. It's obviously hard to agree on what is "offensive" material. People don't tend to care about the creator's "rights" if what they've produced is offensive enough.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Apple arbitrarily deciding *some* adult-themed apps are impermissible is analogous to Windows telling you that you are not allowed to install Firefox on your computer. Hey, they sold you the operating system, they should be allowed to tell you what you can and can't install on it, right?

You keep coming back to the idea that Apple is selling these apps. They are not. They are merely an aggregator that gathers apps in a distribution center and takes a cut of profits for doing that service. They have proclaimed far and wide that anybody can develop for the iPhone, and now are pulling the rug out from under many developers who obeyed every rule in the SDK while permitting "big name" content creators with the same theme and content to stay in the store.

Imagine if Apple decided children shouldn't be exposed to religion before their parents had talked to them about it, so they removed all religiously-themed applications from the store? What about if they think politically-themed apps should GTFO?

It's a thin line, and I'd be fine with it if it was uniform. The idea that they pimped an open marketplace, then took previously-approved apps off the market while similar variants remain is irresponsible and hypocritical when they could have just improved their parental controls and achieved a better result.
  • clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited February 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    They're not selling the apps - they're (arbitrarily) preventing other people from selling their apps.

Question - Am I reading all this correctly?

Apple is not selling these apps but they can still be bought and installed to the devices, just not through the apple store. I can see the upset if all the apps have to be sold through the apple store before they can be used.

If I don't want to sell pepsi but stock all the other brands, that is my choice and the pepsi can be purchased elsewhere.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Where else can you get apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch that does not involve jailbreaking? AFAIK Apple doesn't condone nor do they easily allow you to install 3rd party apps.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I was under the impression that they didn't allow you to install 3rd party apps at all. Unless you jailbreak your IPhone (which is technically against the ToS, iirc) you can only install software through the app store.
    edited February 2010
    BH and Ardi are correct - there is no legal way to install applications outside of the App Store. Jailbreaking is the only way to get non-Apple-sanctioned applications on your device.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited February 2010
    I like Gargoyle's example a lot and I do believe it is very much like this comparison.
  • edited February 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    BH and Ardi are correct - there is no legal way to install applications outside of the App Store. Jailbreaking is the only way to get non-Apple-sanctioned applications on your device.

Or, buy another phone. Why is this obsession about IPhone? I don't understand at all.
    edited February 2010
    You don't. I don't. Lots of people here don't. Lots of people do. It's all personal preference.
  • edited February 2010
    Question - Am I reading all this correctly?

Apple is not selling these apps but they can still be bought and installed to the devices, just not through the apple store. I can see the upset if all the apps have to be sold through the apple store before they can be used.

If I don't want to sell pepsi but stock all the other brands, that is my choice and the pepsi can be purchased elsewhere.

I can see that you liked this banning idea a lot ;) It is interesting to see the alignment of two opposite poles of political spectrum when they agree on controlling the public (or, is this freedom of choice?).
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    mirage wrote:
    Or, buy another phone.

This is how I feel about the issue as well. I mean: sure it's unfair, but they don't have a monopoly on smart phones. If you don't like the way Apple does business, then take your money somewhere else.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2010
    Just when I thought Apple was loosening up. Damn, this is so damn stupid.

That said, personally I don't really care, I'm not sure why you'd want an app for this when you can fire up Safari and access just about anything.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Until they decide to implement filtering of naughty sites in the iPhone browser. Because kids could see that stuff. THINK OF THE CHILDREN WITH 600$ SMART PHONES!

just kidding of course. I doubt even Apple would pull a stunt like that.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I remember Apple added a content filter that warns you if an app you are about to download contains content that may be inappropriate for users under 17 years of age. It will ask you to confirm you are of age to download such an application. For example, if I remember correctly due to some of the words in it, the dictionary.com app gave me this warning.

So... what was the point of having a warning like this for "possible adult content"? I'm fully baffled.