Ultra X4 750W power supply review

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited October 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I think this is the best PSU review I have ever read. Nice detail Thrax :)
  • timuchantimuchan Fishers, IN Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Thanks Thrax, I'll be sure to consider this unit for my PC build this summer! :)
  • Joe
    edited March 2010
    If you want to buy ULTRA stuff go to tiger direct.
    Ultra's are all I buy anymore, lifetime warranty, thou I have never had one fail and good price when on sale
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    The Ultra X4 750W is not available at Tiger Direct! You think it would be, considering that TD is Ultra's premiere eTailing partner, but it isn't.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I can't even tell you how many times I just wanted that 24 pin and 4/8 pin mobo connector out of the way until I was finished with the installation. I freaking love that feature. Do want!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Wonderfully detailed review.

Why is it so hard to find for purchase? That seems pretty frigging odd to me. It has been released, yes?

I LOVE modular PSUs. Dunigan's build was the first time I worked with one. It was an absolute joy to omit everything I didn't need.
    edited March 2010
    The EMPIRES I could build with better tools...
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    yeah... Soon so very soon, we must hope.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    No hope, hope not, do or do not, there is no hope.....
    edited March 2010
    ROFL! That item WAS NOT on Tiger Direct the day I published the article. Obviously I cannot prove these statements, but I searched by model # (ULT-HA750X), went to the dedicated Ultra products page, and tried drilling down by all 700-800W PSUs... The 750W just plain wasn't there.

;D
  • edited March 2010
    Got mine two days ago. It was HARD to find, but I got it from Amazon ($149.00 no tax/free shipping). Price has dropped to $129.00 as of today, and TD has them now, too. Great PSU, easy install, not too big, and looks/works great!
  • OptixOptix New Brunswick, Canada
    edited March 2010
    I love my X4 850 because it gives you exactly what you need and that's it. Only need one 6-pin PCI-E connector? That's all you connect. Need a combo of 6 and 8? Connect one of each. Plus there are loads of connections for molex and SATA meaning there is room for expandability.

Oddly enough one of the features I like the most about it, and this may seem really stupid but I dig the reuseable velcro cable ties that came with mine. Don't ask me why. It's just so simple. Don't like where they are? Forget cutting it and then realizing you are out of cable ties.

The only beef I have with Tiger Direct is that their prices are inflated and their delivery will cause you serious butt hurt. Here in Canada it will anyway.
  • edited October 2010
    Very good article. I have managed to plug in the 8 pin motherboard power cable into the PCIe 8 pin connector. The remark about color coding that cable plug is a great idea. Using a black interior case with black plugs makes everything hard to see.