The unfinished masterpiece: an HTC Droid Incredible review

Comments

• chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited May 2010
    There's some damn sexy looking things in there. I really want to see that screen in the real world, looks rather interesting.
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Curious how this will compare to the Evo, since I'm hoping to pick one of those up soon to defect with my Pre.
  • edited May 2010
    I didn't notice the display issues when I played with it. I was indoors in late afternoon/early evening, so a sunlight comparison was not considered.

I was far more concerned with whether HTC had addressed some of the UI annoyances that plague the Moto Droid. Put the Droid's screen on the Incredible and the phone would edge a little closer to deserving that title.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I am definitely looking forward to the EVO. I will probably be picking one up late this year to replace my Pre.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    lmorchard wrote:
    Curious how this will compare to the Evo, since I'm hoping to pick one of those up soon to defect with my Pre.

The EVO will, hands down, be a better device. Same CPU, more RAM, bigger screen and, here's the kicker, it's LCD.

You'll get the same, unbelievably polished Sense experience on a bigger, crisper, more accurate screen.

The EVO should be called the Incredible, not the other way around.
  • edited May 2010
    well evo might stand for evolution. they release incredible first and then evo. so in that sense it is an evolution of incrdible
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    This + keyboard, please.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I have had my incredible for 2 weeks now (3?). I moved from a Blackberry curve which has a hardware keyboard.
    I was very skeptical about the lack thereof on this unit. My experience however has been very solid, the onscreen on this unit is very easy to use (especially when you transition to landscape mode to type a text/email. Very few mistakes and I am plenty fast with it.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I have to disagree with the sunlight. Every LCD-based device I've ever used is completely useless in sunlight. The AMOLED on the Moment, while not a great experience, is definitely readable in all light where I'm not actually looking at the reflection of the sun itself in the screen.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    There's rumors that HTC will put out a Desire with a keyboard, much like the Touch Pro 2. Could be interesting, but I'm over that phase.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm going to get the Incredible within in the next week. Where do I buy it from if I want to make sure I get the 2GB microSD?
    edited May 2010
    I'm going to get the Incredible within in the next week. Where do I buy it from if I want to make sure I get the 2GB microSD?

It looks like Verizon's online store still offers the 2GB SD deal. :)
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    That's a $5 option, though. If you want real storage, hop over to a MicroCenter (or buy it online if you don't have one locally) and pick up a 8GB MicroSDHC for $17
  • BernardDroegeBernardDroege Milford, OH
    edited May 2010
    Just wondering if your test model came with Android 2.2. Can it be upgraded easily if not?
    edited May 2010
    Hi, Mr. Droege.

The HTC Incredible does not ship with Android 2.2, and cannot yet be upgraded. HTC has said, however, that an update should be available in a few months.

It's also likely that the homebrew community will get a stable version of Android 2.2 running prior to that date, if you're comfortable with flashing unofficial firmware.
  • edited June 2010
    That phone looks awsome