The HP EliteBook Mobile Workstation project

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited December 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Awesome! That mobile workstation looks amazing. Can't wait to see what else it can do!! Love that you named it Kapusta. ;)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I really think a laptop like this would be awesome for what I do. How loud is it? I need to have something in the room with me when I shoot video and I don't want something where the fans are so loud that they pick up on the ambient mic.

//edit

Also, does it Fold?

//edit (In before Tim)

Also, does it run WoW?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I think you need to do the "boxers test" How long can you sit it on your lap while lounging in your boxers before suffering minor burns? I am betting around five minutes.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Buddy J wrote:

//edit (In before Tim)

Also, does it run WoW?

The CPU fan does.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    How much HP "stuff" is the OS loaded with out of the box? That tends to be my biggest gripe.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Most of the time, I agree with you, but in this case I think the loadout is appropriate, Magic. It comes with ISV-certified support software because of the workstation-ness of the machine. I'll find it later, but there's a list of apps this machine is certified to run (DCC software and the like).

There is no "consumer" crap pre-loaded, like trials of anti-virus and whatnot. There is no cheesy media software. This is a workstation, and they know you're buying it for srs bzns.

It comes with drivers and support software for all the extra hardware, like the fingerprint scanner, the TPM, GPS (LoJack) and other security stuff; lots of intense power management stuff, etc. I'll give the full rundown in another article.
  • edited November 2010
    Such a powerful notebook can easily replace a desktop computer. Does it have a docking station option?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    How well does it run f@h?
    edited November 2010
    I'll do a test.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    heh, $6000.00 material compensation...
    edited November 2010
    captain-obvious.jpg
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2010
    That is one sweet set up. I would love to get my hands on one to test.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    So what are the criteria for being the one to get this laptop? A 5 million point folder for Team 93? Someone who provides entertainment to the forum members? Someone who happens to have the longest running in regular production webshow in the history of the internet?

I think that would be me.:)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Don't know if you would want this beast. It has neither XP nor IE6.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Kidding aside, that is a good question. Tim, what would you do with this beast?
    edited November 2010
    When I have something to announce about the giveaway, I'll announce it :)
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I'd play Starcraft 2 and videos on it, and fold with it.

As for XP and IE6, I have another 7200 rpm laptop hard drive, so I can always swap out the hard drive and load up XP and IE6 if I wanted to....... :) Probably wouldn't.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    That is a BEAST.
  • ksimpsonksimpson San Francisco, CA
    edited December 2010
    Hi Mirage -

Yes indeed. There are several docking station options available for the HP EliteBook 8740w.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
    Kristina for HP
    edited December 2010
    Welcome to Icrontic, Kristina. Thanks for taking the time to register and directly engage with our readers and community members :)
  • edited December 2010
    ksimpson wrote:
    Hi Mirage -

Yes indeed. There are several docking station options available for the HP EliteBook 8740w.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
    Kristina for HP

Thank you, Kristina. 8740w is very appealing now. The docking station saves considerable time with my old notebook since I don't need to connect the external monitor, keyboard, mouse, network cable, and speakers every time I want to use the notebook on my desk.
  • ksimpsonksimpson San Francisco, CA
    edited December 2010
    You are very welcome Mirage! Glad to hear that the 8740w is appealing to you. Maybe you'll be the lucky winner of this powerful machine. Just stay tuned to Icrontic for more information about the upcoming giveaway.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you regarding the HP EliteBook.

Best,
    Kristina for HP
    Twitter.com/HP_PC