Herp Derp Ping Pong

Comments

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I think FOX is just scared as are their demographic. The world is changing faster than, and I'm generalizing, any one over the age of 40 can handle.

In 10 years time I guarantee we will have TV stations broad casting video games as if they were an actual sport. Korea already does it, and with the growing popularity of things like NASL, IGN Proleage, and MLG it might happen even faster than that.

As for video games as art it could be argued that they are the pinnacle of the form. They have the visuals of a movie or a canvass, the story of a book, and they can take it even farther. We are allowed to interact with them, and they in turn can challenge us and make us think on a level that even a good book can't.
  • edited May 2011
    First off let me say I run an independent game company and it’s a nice thought to know the gov would shell out some cash to help, but I look at it this way. If you can’t create a game to get the ball rolling you don’t even have to start big you can do a two team iOS / android app in order to get some revenue flowing. If you show promise you could even get a VC involved so there is more than one way to go about this.
    Neal doesn’t have a f|_|cking clue what he is talking about in regards to video games. If the U.S. really wanted to “save” money why not start looking at the 3+ wars we are in, all our bases around the world, the puppet governments we give billions to, etc, etc, etc. Also Brian I would have asked Neal what games he plays or the last game he has played to put his retarded a$$ on the spot.
  • edited May 2011
    You might enjoy this... it's how I got to this site. http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/ : so the publicity thing worked out pretty well. Also, really respect you for dealing with that garbage.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    When I think of fox news I think of
    picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=342
  • edited May 2011
    Oh jesus. Right as the other guy started talking about ping-pong I knew I was in for some grade a bullshit.

People outside of video games always mistake simulators for what we know as video games. A ping-pong video game, assuming it has no story/purpose, would be a simple simulator. Compare something like that to a game such as Portal 2; which has a deep story, amazing game mechanics, great art direction, and great characterization. They are not even close to being the same. It's the same as comparing a textbook to a novel, ones art and ones not.

I would have yelled at the other guy at the end for not only being off topic, but also failing to realize that computers are becoming more relevant to modern education. Electronic education tools are more practical than textbooks, and are more environmentally safe if you think about it. Not that Fox cares about any of that, I suppose...
  • edited May 2011
    you were awesome
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I think you were awesome.
  • edited May 2011
    You're definitely a better writer than a talking head Brian, but do a couple more of these and I'm sure you'll get the hang of talking points and acting like a belligerent idiot on TV.

Kudos for stepping out of your comfort zone. And asking Reddit for advice, haha.
  • edited May 2011
    wow, props to you my man. I saw your earlier posts and didn't really know what to expect or if you were even really going on FOX. I hope you are given the opportunity to have a HUMANE discussion with somebody about this sometime because you really are right and should not be treated like that. they didn't really even get into the topic, more like skimmed the surface and tried to skew the situation.
    P.S. I love the facial hair :)
    P.P.S. Ping-Pong, WTF baldy?
    P.P.P.S. I ROFLMFAO'd when you shut down his COD reference
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I don't know why this caught my eye, or why this is funny to me, but I noticed that the anchor was holding an iPad for whatever reason. Totally unrelated to the point at hand, but... maybe someone will derive lulz from this.

LXHTt.jpg
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Because they use tablets instead of a stack of papers.
  • edited May 2011
    Agreed, great job mate! Also love the title of the post I felt the ping pong example was probably the stupidest thing I have heard on television in a long time (and that's saying something). Way to keep your cool despite their obvious attempts to make your educated arguments not be heard.
  • edited May 2011
    Educated arguments can't be heard in this debate. The talk show host was a boisterous, angry man with a clear voice debating against a common educated guy who hadn't the time to prepare in-studio.
  • edited May 2011
    I'd rather have my Tax dollars go towards anything other than bailing out the banks. If the government wants to do enough to keep the banks a float thats cool, but they have handed way more than needed out to these banks who can't seem to figure out how the fuck to balance their books because they have made a bunch of stupid ass mistakes.

If the government wants to give me Healthcare and extend money out to entertainment of all kinds via various federal grants I'm all for it.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Okay, this is bothering me - I'm having trouble finding an exact answer to this (set of) question(s), so please correct me:

The TOTAL BUDGET for the NEA hasn't changed, right? That is, the feds aren't giving them MORE MONEY, right? Their draw on the fed budget is the same as normal, right?

So we're not spending NEW money on video games (just already-allocated money), right? And, in fact, this money is likely getting cut in 2012, too, based on the new budget?

I keep seeing people say something along the lines of 'we shouldn't be spending money on this, too,' as if we're planning to come up with NEW money it. But if we're only spending pre-allocated NEA cash AND if the NEA is getting cuts in 2012... do these people even have a goddamn leg to stand on?

The argument can't be that transparent. I'm missing something, right?
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited May 2011
    You're correct Myrmidon, the NEA's budget was not increased (Nor were taxes raised..) but actually slashed 13%. Instead of the 168 million they had for 2011, they only have 146 million for 2012.

The argument works for conservatives because they only see and hear what they WANT to see and hear. The capacity for denial within the minds of these folks is really quite staggering.

And from what I understand, Ping Pong is considered an Olympic sport, and eligible for funding from private sources and media companies, NOT from the US government. Because the government does not fund Olympic athletes.
  • edited May 2011
    Ambrozy: you're a badass. Congratulations for standing up to idiots, keeping your cool, and writing about it eloquently. The thinking people need to be aware of what happens on the powerful, evil media machine that is Fox News so they can continue to fight it effectively and at the source.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Also, the hell with your avatar, dog, I totally thought Brian responded to me. :P
  • edited May 2011
    "It calmed me immensely, because I knew I had truth on my side."

He's like f_ckin' Martin Luther King, about video games! "We shall overcome, we shall overcome, we shall overcome, some day!"
  • edited May 2011
    I'm conservative, and these guys aren't typical conservative "morons", they're just plain MORONS. I'm conservative, I thought this was the WORST interview ever, and I agreed with Brian Ambrose with it. There was especially no reason for the fishface on the other side of the mic to lose his cool like that. I thought he was going to have a heart attack, the guy was spazzing out so much.

I really do, however, disagree with people calling conservatives idiots because of this interview; there are stupid people on both sides of the fence. I prefer not to call a side stupid, but to call the individuals stupid; Brian was cool, baldy was an idiot. Nice job, actually! I too would have laughed at the mention of ping-pong.
  • edited May 2011
    Good job Brian
    I think you did very well, the second you started talking I started to nod in agreement. The second that Neil guy started talking I thought "What the hell, he sounds like a complete idiot." You stayed calm and stuck to the topic and the truth, you have my respect!
  • edited May 2011
    Good effort - your initial appearance made me feel that they had invited someone 'vulnerable' to the show, but then after the first ten seconds you really noticably became more aggressive (which was good).

You did what you could, but ultimately it'd take nothing less than a famous celebrity shouting at them to change their minds.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    TIL Brian is like MLK Jr.
  • edited May 2011
    Good job is all I have to say. I wouldn't have handle those fantastic [sarcasm] people with the same grace you did. I'm glad someone like you was up there representing our community.

Asbury was an ass clear and simple, but you can not expect much else out of the people at fox, what gets me is he is talking about wasted money, yet their reporter so kindly flashed an ipad about, wasted funds if I ever saw them. They ave a teleprompter, and even that is more than they need, reporters like that are little more than actors, they can learn the lines, they dont NEED teleprompters and ipads.

Should games like C.O.D. get goverment grants? No, of course not, should artistic/educational games get funded? Yes, definitely. Education is getting hit rather hard as it is, but things like educational games. [that don't require a teacher to still spread knowledge] are definitely NOT a waste of money.

If fox would ever give a fair and unbiased time to have a REAL debate, people would see how poor their views really are.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I think you did well Brian. However, you were very quiet and reserved and as a result I think that what you said didn't make the impact it deserved. It was definitely overshadowed by the OTT video and the raving looney.

Of the four minutes of video, the first 30 seconds are all COD, and there are COD trailers during the piece (obviously predetermined) even though you flat explained that games such as COD are never going to be eligable for art funding. I would expect that what you said about COD being ineligable would be completely lost on the the viewers (going on what everyone else has so far said) and if you were to interview them after watching the piece they would still be under the misapprehension that this money goes towards COD-type games.

For the record my enduring memory of the video is 'ping-pong' (get the term right, you dumb b@stard) and this is a real shame. It goes to show that the media can present things however they like and their demographic will just lap it up, brainwashed.

I'm sure you have newspapers that operate in exactly the same way, our UK equivalent to this garbage is a newspaper called the Daily Mail.

But well done Brian!!!!!

~Cyrix
  • edited May 2011
    im from australia so we dont get fox over here, but who the hell is the other guy? he seems like some random jackass they brought along just for the express purpose of having somebody shout into the camera like hes in a billy mays commercial. the whole thing stank of a boxer arguing with a punching bag vis a vis
  • edited May 2011
    I think you did a great job of appearing rational and calm. You were never going to convince the host, or even most of the viewers but I think its a good thing you went up instead of them getting someone else who would have gotten angry and actually hurt the perception of gamers and games.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    travis wrote:
    he seems like some random jackass they brought along just for the express purpose of having somebody shout into the camera like hes in a billy mays commercial
    That is pretty much how FOX operates. Oh, how I wish we had the Canadian law of prohibiting lying on the air. See this CTRL+ALT+DEL comic for a visual explanation
  • CharshieCharshie Hollywood, California Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Fantastic article, Brian.
  • edited May 2011
    I watched that video and i will never get that four minutes of my life back. I'm not american but i am truly sorry for anybody who has to put up with people like that. Valiant effort Brian but speaking to that idiot neal was like bashing your head against a brick wall. What does ping pong (table tennis which is a legit sport by the way) have to do with video games? Where did teachers and raised taxes come into the equation? Why the hell were they showing a Cod trailer and talking about GTA? Two of the biggest commercial franchises out there.

And i got a huge kick when they showed an 8 bit mario game as the example for video game art, so precisely rendered cut-screens dont qualify as art? Anyway you did a great job man but nobody could have succeeded against them, i say we just ignore them and let them become obsolete in a world that is growing more technological everyday while they cling to the same old ways