Bit Torrent for BSD

Jammin1911Jammin1911 Icrontian
edited December 2003 in Science & Tech
Does anyone know if it's possible to publish (upload, whatever its called) Bit Torrent .torrent files from the FreeBSD console?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Well, your box will in essence host the upload, but yes, it can be done if you give bittorrent a directory to keep files in. BUT, last I checked the bittorrent for BSD was in dev, might not be fully finalized yet. you would have to publish the port adn info to the persons you wanted to have access to it, and the client will take all comers and use your bandwidth to upload to others who request your file.

John.
  • celchocelcho Tallahassee, FL Member
    edited December 2003
    you would have to publish the port adn info to the persons you wanted to have access to it, and the client will take all comers and use your bandwidth to upload to others who request your file.

you need a tracker to host your file, unless you want host your own tracker. you're seeding a torrent when you host it.
  • Jammin1911Jammin1911 Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    i want to host the file, that was the intention. I've got 6 servers w/ 100mbit each and 'some' free bandwidth. Just want to make some use of some of the leftovers :)

Do you guys have a link or name of software.. or something? :)
  • SouriatSouriat Nottingham, UK
    edited December 2003
    Not fully sure how you want this done but this would make it so you can have the tracker on the bsd box and publish/host files from the same/other boxes.

First you need to set up a tracker, i personally like this one, its php/mysql based so simple and quick to set up publically, and can be tweaked to be more private (as i have here)

Once thats running you can leave the box and make/announce the files wherever. Just simply make the torrent using the url told to you in the upload link on the tracker page, (i use the create torrent bit of ABC), once created browse to the torrent, give it a password for admin, and click upload then seed away :)

I assume there is a command line maketorrent around too but not sure where to find one for bsd.
  • celchocelcho Tallahassee, FL Member
    edited December 2003
    http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/download.html

here's the official bittorrent site, i don't know, but maybe you can compile that python source for bsd? or emulate a linux version or something.
  • Jammin1911Jammin1911 Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    cool thanks for the help all!