Ten reasons why I will not buy the Star Wars Complete Saga

13»

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    So, I'm thinking about this issue. For most here, would we say the issue is with the choice of edits, or the idea that classic films should not be tinkered with?

For example, some of the FX shots were cleaned up without altering the shot, are we okay with that? Is there an example of something we all liked? How about Luke running into Biggs? The extra droids added to the shot heading into Mos Eisley? How about some of the visual improvements in the Bespin backdrop?

Is the argument against edits altogether, or is it with specific edits?

If Peter Jackson adds a Tom Bombadil scene to Lord of the Rings are we going to boycott that release as well?
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    My personal problem is with the content of the edits.

Example: While I think the original Mos Eisley cantina is charming in its lack of polish, some of the creatures in there were just plain comically bad. The updates in the 1997 edits to things like that are ok by me. I think some of the extra creatures roaming around the exterior are a bit much, but not terribad.
    If Peter Jackson adds a Tom Bombadil scene to Lord of the Rings are we going to boycott that release as well?

If it's well done and fits the flow of the main cut (that scene wasn't filmed primarily because it disrupts the flow of the main adventure), then I have no problem with it. If it's wedged in and poorly produced (like the new song & band members in Jabba's Palace), then I'll have just as big a problem with it.

If it was all good edits, I wouldn't have ever had a problem with it. It's just that the adding in of "Noo!" is just so colossally horrible that it almost fails to register on my conscious brain. There are so many things that could have been done to any of the 3 originals to clean them up or add emotional weight to otherwise relatively wooden performances. But to take the one almost perfectly produced dramatic scene in the entire series and ham-handedly slap on the single worst sound byte in all 6 movies just completely boggles the mind.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Cliff, it's an overall dumbing-down of the content that bothers me.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, it's mostly about changing the fundamental expression of the storytelling. Many of the changes that have pissed people off are adjustments that tweak the emotional impact of a scene or character. In doing such, he's changed the flow and pacing of the characters, their development, and the overall storytelling. This is what's pissed people off.

Some of the cleanup can be forgiven. The added effects to the Death Star explosion look sweet. More Tie Fighters in the space battles? These changes don't make me rage or want to boycott this release, but I'd still rather he didn't mess with them.

Films are a part of cultural heritage, and they should be protected as such. Heck, even George Lucas from 1988 knew this, as he crusaded against the tampering and adjusting of old films. The irony of it all is too thick.

We don't always need to clean up films, though. Old films are just that - old. There's no reason to clean them up just because of that fact. Filmmakers should be proud of what they accomplished with limited technology back in the day. Heck, if they were good enough, they don't even have a need to clean up in modern age (see Aliens). Imagine if someone cleaned up Nosferatu to make it look better. The idea is ridiculous.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    It does have the unedited originals on the bonus discs.

Hrmm... they must have changed it. I looked into it back when the DVDs first came out. Everyone was very specific in saying the box set didn't include the original cuts, the only way to get them was to get the individual 2-disc DVDs.
    edited September 2011
    There's a 2004 release and a 2006 release. Possibly they put the 2006 releases in a box set as well.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    HjDR5.png

-Digi
    edited September 2011
    Relevant reading. When Spielberg releases the E.T. Blu Ray, he is only going to release the 1982 cut of the film. It almost feels like he is taking an indirect jab at Lucas.
    edited September 2011
    Nice... After the credits roll on the BluRay, it should feature a copy of Lucas' speech in front of congress about preserving our film heritage.
    edited September 2011
    At the risk of adding a little spam I did enter a contest to win these things and some Blu-Ray swag. Help a brotha out and cast a vote if you please.

http://ebay.promotionexpert.com/starwarscontest/view/1984
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Complaining about the Saga box seems to be the new Tamaguchi. Can't find a discussion forum that doesn't have a thread like this.
    Dust off the old vhs and laserdiscs all you want, but the fact is, the saga box contains one of the best reference materials of sound ever released.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Complaining about the Saga box seems to be the new Tamaguchi. Can't find a discussion forum that doesn't have a thread like this.
    Dust off the old vhs and laserdiscs all you want, but the fact is, the saga box contains one of the best reference materials of sound ever released.

True that, I'm not a real die hard fan. I'll buy them for the pretty pictures/sound.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011

I don't watch Star Wars for the sound.
    edited September 2011
    Thrax wrote:

Ok, well, I kind of do. But, as noted in the article, the sound was one of the major complaints about the 2004 SE DVDs.

Anyone listened to see if it's any better in the BluRay release?
    edited September 2011
    Thrax wrote:

I don't wank when i see a robot you fool.
    edited September 2011
    Ok, well, I kind of do. But, as noted in the article, the sound was one of the major complaints about the 2004 SE DVDs.

Anyone listened to see if it's any better in the BluRay release?

1,2,4,5,6 is as much reference as they come with 1 and 2 as incredible. 3 for some reason, is not as good as far as sound goes, but 3 has the best picture.

Tron held the previous throne for reference material, especially sub 40hz.
  • I just want to say that no one has ever expressed just how I feel about the Special Editions and the prequels as perfectly as you have here. Bravo!

The Prequels were the reason I stopped subscribing to Star Wars Insider magazine (that, and Anthony Daniels column was the best thing ever and that pretty much got scrapped).
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2012

I too don't like any of the changes he made, the NOOOO, the ewok eyes, everything was unnecessary. But I probably will still buy the blu-ray 9-cd edition, because of the extra stuff they've added, the never before seen, deleted/alternate scenes, commentaries, parodies, the making of star wars, behind the scenes, etc, all the good stuff. I'll but it so that at least I will have an HD widescreen crystal-clear quality blu-ray copy of the saga, even though with the edits they made, and who knows they'll only sell them for a certain time. Or maybe because I've never had a hard copy of the movies, I have the 1997 and 2004 reissues along with the original unaltered theatrical trilogy on my hard disk, downloaded from torrent. I know all of the true fans don't like the stuff they put in the original trilogy, I know that I don't. But c'mon this should be every fan's dream! To have the complete saga on blu-ray, hd, crystal-clear quality, the last of the star wars hard copies there will ever be! Well what if they will never really make HD copies of the original unaltered trilogy? At least you have the blu-ray, and even if you don't like it, as a fan, you should still buy it, at least for the record! It's like a collector's item, know what I'm sayin'? I'd totally but it, not because I like the shit they added to the movies, but because of the extra stuff, and for the record that I have the saga on blu-ray, the last ever version there will ever be, it's not that I like the empire, I hate it, but there's nothing I can do about it right now. And who knows that it's really not that bad, and that there are a lot more surprises to it, you'll never know, unless you buy it, which I'm gonna do, and I know that I will not regret it, I actually can't wait for the release.
    So, to sum up:
    • You'll buy it
    • You're not going to regret it
    • You want to have a hard copy of the movies
    • You don't like the changes
    Got it.
  • Years later and I still can't justify $100 for films I already own on DVD. I have yet to replace a film I own on DVD with a Blu Ray release. I have purchased a few Blu Ray's of new releases or things to add to my collection but I can't justify throwing out perfectly good cash for more resolution. Go ahead, take my nerd card.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    I heard they were releasing it in white, though.
    Cliff_Forster
    I still won't be getting it. Even though I do quite often 'upgrade' my DVDs to BluRay when they become available.
  • 4k en route=> abandon bluray, await disney proprietary streaming service "powered by google" because f*ck mpegLA, acquire new television, purchase subscription, realize it's time to retire, question life choices
    Yeah, I'll stick with 1080p for a while.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I'll go to 4K when HEVC/H.265 downloads are a thing.
  • I'm really hoping vp9 beats out h265.
  • shwaip said:

I'm actually hiding my Darth Vader mug that I hold my pens in. I'm going to buy a stormtrooper and replace it. I'm going to even buy a new computer desk, I'm loosing my mind slightly. Some guys have cars, I have a sweet PC with matching peripherals....

What's wrong with me?

PirateNinja
  • shwaip said:

I'm actually hiding my Darth Vader mug that I hold my pens in. I'm going to buy a stormtrooper and replace it. I'm going to even buy a new computer desk, I'm loosing my mind slightly. Some guys have cars, I have a sweet PC with matching peripherals....

What's wrong with me?
    More things than can be listed here without overflowing the database comment field.

/troll
    Cliff_Forster