On Lian Li and breaking trends in PC chassis design

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I'm not looking forward to having to choose between Lian Li and NZXT for my next case. That will be a hard decision, as #FWP as that sounds.
  • _k_k_ P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    That is easy. Lian Li.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    I want a Lian Li style case with NZXT prices.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    you forgot Silverstone Tush, imo, better than Lian Li
  • The build quality of Silverstone vs Lian Li is not comparable IMO. Then again I used to use Lian Li only, so I'm likely biased.
    Anyway, these days I use NZXT because I won one in a contest. The build quality was OK, but the functionality and usability was on a whole other level than any previous Lian Li or Silverstone I had. It's great to see Lian Li trying new things.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    I would buy Lian Li again if I could, but I can't afford them.

I bought a Lian Li PC-V1000, one of the original builds with the PSU on the bottom, but the motherboard was also inverted so that the CPU was at the bottom, just over the (but seperated by metal) PSU and HDD cage. I got that case in 2003 or so when I was preparing a Doom3/HL2 rig. Only replaced it when I got a cheap, but much better interior layout NZXT.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    Thanks for the good article.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I love my Lian Li case. For years and years I've seem them reiewed, and I finally got a PC-A05 about two years ago. It's one of their cheaper and smaller cases, but the quality is superb. Ventilation wasn't as superb for Crossfire, but I finally found one of their official replacement top panels with a vent up top. The availability of quality replacement and modding panels is a great selling point for Lian Li, IMO.
  • Is there any practical reason anyone can come up with to have the I/O ports on the front of a case? All I can come up with is possibly LAN party boxes and other computers that get moved around a lot, but then again most people want smaller cases for those applications and this looks like a mid or full sized ATX case. I like that they're trying something new, but I'm having a hard time seeing what they're attempting to accomplish here, especially in the age of standardized front port headers.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    There are a few DCC type stuffs that might make this useful (configuration of framelock/genlock, monitor swapouts, and such). There's a user base, admittedly small, with a need for something like this out there.

But moreso, I think it's a question of what's useful on cases anymore. When you consider that most of us don't use any of the input methods on the front of a typical chassis (CD or floppy), that makes the I/O ports on the back see more attention than anything on the front does anymore. I dunno, I think since they understand that typical users no longer use the stuff on the front of a case, might as well put the useful stuff in an easier to reach spot.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    I use 4 plugs on my computer: monitor and sound (HDMI), NIC, 2x USB for mouse and keyboard. That is all I have plugged in right now and I can see where a front panel for all that is far more attractive than having to reach around the back of the case. My question/issue with this design at this stage is airflow, if that could be reasonably resolved (to my satisfaction) I would seriously consider going to a front I/O panel case.