One man's ASUS G73JH nightmare

Comments

• I have been using Asus products for more than 15 years now... never had a problem with it, hell I even had a bad mobo ONCE and they just shipped me a new one in less than 5 days... I have 3 Asus laptop (No G series tho) and they never missed a beat, my newest one with the Gforce GTX 540m is running hot but its a K series and its how they usually run.

As far as the laptop in the article, it would be nice to know, where it was built... I mean, I doubt it very much that ASUStek builds all their computers by themselves, wouldnt be supprised if they used a certain contractor to build that series of laptop.

And also... I doubt ASUS does their RMA personally, I wouldnt be supprised if that also is a secondary shop that does the work...

I hope you get all of your stuff back in working order tho, but I wouldn't shut the door on ASUS because of that.

and for those that are curious, What I own with an Asus Badge on... :

Laptops K53SV , N53SV, U41JF
    Video cards, two EAH6670, two ENGTX460, one EAH6950 DCII.
    mobo 3 P8bws

6 VS247H screens.

P4C800-E is the mobo that went south but that was a long time ago...

PS the boss of MSI is the old CEO of ASUS so it is a good time to buy stuff from them.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    As far as the laptop in the article, it would be nice to know, where it was built... I mean, I doubt it very much that ASUStek builds all their computers by themselves, wouldnt be supprised if they used a certain contractor to build that series of laptop.

And also... I doubt ASUS does their RMA personally, I wouldnt be supprised if that also is a secondary shop that does the work...
    The problem with this is that the customer only sees Asus, regardless of who manages their RMA or build process and Asus is ultimately responsible for the product that comes out.
  • timuchantimuchan Fishers, IN Icrontian
    I was reading the latest issue of 2600 magazine last night and saw someone else mention difficulties with their gaming ASUS computer. The article was about the weak security of their RMA setup and how easy it is to find other customer's information and package tracking. I was beginning to be a bit of an ASUS fanboy before reading this article, now I am done with them.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    This would be a great time for me to step in and recommend Gigabyte's awesome motherboards, which have proven consistently reliable since the GA-P965 in 2006. ;)
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    CES 2012 alert: We have just realized I have the XBOX 360 of laptops.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    He's on his 6th RROD
  • Here here to Gigabyte motherboards. I haven't bought anything else for my last three builds.

... Man I am sorry mertesn. I hope you can ditch that thing and get a replacement or refund soon. Horrible =/
  • I bought a G73SW back in June 2011 and it has been perfectly fine. Those early models must have been ridden with atrocious problems. If you still haven't gotten the thing fully repaired or replaced, I would probably consider having them replace it for the G73SW as it has been very reliable with nothing wrong with it at all. I also have other Asus products like DVD Drives, motherboards, and the like. I hope things work out for you and I hope I never have to RMA with Asus... o.o
    The laptop arrived at ASUS yesterday. I'm guessing it should be back early next week.
    The laptop should be delivered to me Wednesday. I spoke with the guy doing the repairs and he said both the touchpad and keyboard cables had come loose. Hopefully this will be the last problem I have with it.

Out of curiosity, has anyone gotten a manufacturer to extend a warranty's duration? There's still another 15 months left on my laptop's warranty, but given the amount of trouble it's had, perhaps an extension would be possible.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Asus gives a year extension on the warranty for free if you registered the product, but I've never done a special request for a warranty extension. Sounds like a difficult task, I'd almost think it isn't worth the time and effort as compared to just buying a third party policy on the laptop if you really want it.

Edit: on that note 3rd party warranties are usually garbage
    You're probably right...it likely would be a waste of whatever time was spent.

Are you sure they extend the warranty for free on registration? I paid for a three year warranty, and that's what shows up on my account with their support site.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I've seen third-party warranties get extensions when they don't meet expectations (stated/contractual ones, not "zomg I shipped it yesterday why isn't it back" types), but I don't recall a manufacturer doing it in my short time paying attention to such things.

My experience with our enterprise third-party warranty has been great (ITG), but consumer or other enterprise warranty companies may make your vision go red.

Maybe @PirateNinja meant they extended the stock one year H/W warranty, @mertesn.

• Are you sure they extend the warranty for free on registration? I paid for a three year warranty, and that's what shows up on my account with their support site.
    I guess it might depend on the model or reseller. I bought both my Asus laptops through newegg, both came with registration cards offering another year of protection if I filled them out. I don't recall if NewEgg's product details included that extra year or not, but I know I would not have gotten it without filling out the cards.

Side note: the second Asus laptop I bought, I couldn't register the product. I filled the card out and sent it out via mail and had it returned because there was a problem with the receiving address. I had put the exact address Asus told me too. I sent it out again, this time on a typed envelope because I assumed the PO couldn't read my handwriting. I got it back again three weeks later and by that time the 30 days I had to register it had expired. Sigh.
  • I'm going thru a similiar issue right now. The other night I Rebooted My G73jh, went to grab some more coffee amd came back to a Black/Blank Screen. Tested the vga out and the HDMI but no response. Called Asus and they claim they won't RMA since the 1 year manufacturers warranty is up as it's 16 months since date of purchase.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I updated the story with a link to Part 2 of the ASUS G73JH saga
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    I'm going thru a similiar issue right now. The other night I Rebooted My G73jh, went to grab some more coffee amd came back to a Black/Blank Screen. Tested the vga out and the HDMI but no response. Called Asus and they claim they won't RMA since the 1 year manufacturers warranty is up as it's 16 months since date of purchase.
    Why would they warranty replace something that's out of warranty? No company would do that. Especially once it's 4 months out of warranty.
  • I have EXACTLY! EXACTLY same situation!!!! And it is STILL roaring and RMA keeps telling me "no problem found". Also keys are not working (i am using external keyboard) and touchpad. I am never ever again buying Asus.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    Boycott Asus.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    I had a talk with a friend about this article recently, we are both ardent ASUS supporters who have built nearly every PC we've ever owned with ASUS mobos, and he owns an ASUS tablet. The point he brought up to me, something I haven't thought of before, is that every product I've ever bought from ASUS was warrantied through the retailer. I've never had to deal with ASUS tech support directly. I always got the impression that they didn't really want to deal with consumers, that they preferred that you RMA your devices through the retailer, and the retailer would then in turn deal with ASUS tech support in bulk. Is it becoming more common to purchase ASUS products direct?
    It wasn't a direct purchase from Asus, but the warranty is still through Asus. If I had sent the laptop to the place I purchased it, they would have sent it in to Asus from there. The only exception I am aware of is the Best Buy specific model, which has a special set of warranty terms.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    Guess what I have on my workbench? An Asus G73. Will not power on. If you plug it in, the power button and all of the special buttons all start slowly flashing. On battery it will power on for about 2 seconds before just shutting down. Unplugged the bios, reseated the memory, checked voltage on power supply, and it seems to be fine. The warranty expired in January. so they are probably SOL on this one. So sad... expensive laptop.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    How much do they want for a new battery??? some laptops get set up and left plugged in all or almost all the time and some have NICad batteriies still. Get one "set" to about 2% charge level acceptance, then design a power circuit with a battery having to be present in circuit to work-- recipe for early disaster if the battery is NICad and not cycled down to almost zero charge every 5-6 months.

Speaking of this, if the computer sits overnight plugged in but NOT switched on, what then happens???? If you tried this, and same, it is the battery or the charge circuit probably (could be power adapter).

Had a Dell XPS do this to me, something quite similar to what you have, and replaced battery for 179.00 and that fixed it. My Lenovo, they wrote power management software that works with a smart charging circuitry and power adapter that lets the battery discharge 5% before the power adapter charges it. Then it charges back up when off but plugged in. Folding exercises the battery too-- :) .
  • Nick, thanks for this article. I'm not sure to be relieved or disgusted. At least it's not just me. I am going through the same exact scenario with a G73jh-A1 right now. It's been 13 months and counting.

As I write this, I have been on hold with a Level 3 supervisor for 30 minutes, while he "tries to open and review" my file. I am not sure who to contact at this point, as not only is the display a dud, but they are now effectively just holding my laptop. No information, not sure when I'll get it back. That's an expensive piece of my property for them to just hold carte blanche.

At least you eventually got some resolution. Any suggestions on how to reach Chris A.? Sounds like he at least made an effort.

Thanks!
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited June 2012
    OK. THAT was an adventure... I've gone from being an ASUS supporter to Nope.avi in about 30 minutes. I'm glad to see there was some resolution to your torment mertesn, but not nearly enough in my opinion. Let's hope that someone from ASUS takes valuable note of this article. Also, kudos to "Chris", wherever he is.
    Any suggestions on how to reach Chris A.? Sounds like he at least made an effort.
    While I can't give you his direct contact info, there is an escalation service available. Use that and explain in as much detail (including RMA and reference numbers if available) the problems you're having.
    OK. THAT was an adventure... I've gone from being an ASUS supporter to Nope.avi in about 30 minutes. I'm glad to see there was some resolution to your torment mertesn, but not nearly enough in my opinion. Let's hope that someone from ASUS takes valuable note of this article. Also, kudos to "Chris", wherever he is.
    The replacement laptop, a G74SX-A1, has been a significant improvement. It hasn't broken in the three months I've had it.
  • My ASUS came with no stickers w/ serial number and I hid my warranty card from myself. I couldn't access SN via bios because (part) of my problem()s included function keys that didn't work. I had to call 7 times before I got an RMA. Can't access status they don't have my number in their system. A week after sending it said they didn't have it even after I got confirmation from FedEX that it had been delivered. Last call support said repair was waiting for parts. It's been over a month since I began calling will keep trying. Needless to say I had to go out and buy another computer - got SONY vaio with which I've had great support over many years.
  • I purchased a G73JH laptop in 2010 as well and it has had many problems (and is still giving me problems), but nothing as awful as the issues that have plagued you.
  • I 100% agree. I've got the G73Jh model and out of the box it had malfunctions and hardware issues. Every single component has been replaced inside the case since I bought the laptop. It has been a nightmare. Worst piece of crap I've ever bought.