Breakthrough In Solar Photovoltaics

edited February 2005 in Science & Tech
The Holy Grail of researchers in the field of solar photovoltaic (SPV) electricity is to generate it at a lower cost than that of grid electricity. The goal now seems to be within reach.
A Palo Alto (California ) start-up, named Nanosolar Inc., founded in 2002, claims that it has developed a commercial scale technology that can deliver solar electricity at 5 cents per kilowatt-hour.

The breakthrough has come through the application of nanotechnology to create components via molecular self-assembly, including quantum dots (10nm large nanoparticles) as well as nanotemplates with structural order extending through all three dimensions.

In addition, Nanosolar has demonstrated that the three dimensionally engineered nanotemplates can be conformally coated or solidly filled with semiconductor paint to create ultra-thin solar cells with layers that are yet another factor 100x thinner than conventional thin-film amorphous silicon solar cells.

This allows a 10x larger surface area of these structures to be used to achieve a 10x increase in efficiency for such thin layers, thus making it possible to use even less material for similarly efficient cells. Conventional inorganic semiconductors tend to require intricate processing to ensure large grains of crystallinity (in the extreme case: mono-crystallinity) so that charges can travel hundreds of nanometres without getting trapped and lost (at internal crystal boundaries).
Source: The Hindu

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    Are we making progress in solar, sure, but...

As for these breakthroughs: I've been hearing about breakthroughs for the past 25 years. There have been few significant commercial releases, that is, hardware that is practical to use and is cost effective in the real world. In short, I'll believe it when I see it (outside of a news article, a PR release, or a laboratory).
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    7 year necro via silent spammer. (his website in profile)

@Primesuspect, bring forth the banhammer
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    The irradiance of sunlight on the Earth's surface is ~120 W per meter squared. The engine of a Toyota Prius develops ~72 kW at maximum power and significantly less (say 18 times less) at ~4 kW while cruising. The efficiency of the cell described in this breakthrough was roughly 20%. I don't think it's likely that we'll see cars powered only by the sun in general use ever.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Solar_Car_Challenge

There are already cars that can be powered only by the sun. It's only a matter of time (and cost) before the technology filters out from competitions into the mainstream. In fact, there is already at least one commercial solar car, the Venturi Astrolab. Sure, it's not the most practical thing, but neither were the first automobiles. The point is, the technology can be made to work, and it will. Provided we actually work toward it (and don't destroy ourselves before we get there).
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    Necro spammer induces interesting conversation, reduces likelihood of getting post deleted. Clever girl.

Edit: Post was deleted. I am retarded.