How to idle in Team Fortress 2

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited August 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• LincLincoln Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    Idling ain't teaching you how to avoid my minigun.
    mertesnmidgaTheironhandGarg
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I used a third party program to get item drops without launching the game. I still have the halo. Wat.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    I didn't cheat at all and never got my halo. Sad wat.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Interesting article. I'm gonna try it just for kicks. Really wish I could spend more time playing. :\
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    All of this sounds like waaaay too much effort. :)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    You can also just start up a practice game and minimize tf2.

i mean...I've heard you can do that.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    ^ did done that.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    I haven't played TF2 since around the time of the first class update... If I log in now, will I have a halo?
    CB
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    GHoosdum said:

I haven't played TF2 since around the time of the first class update... If I log in now, will I have a halo?

Your backpack is completely empty. Would be interesting to see what it triggers if you do log in. You should at least get your Medal with your join date on it.
    Canti said:

I used a third party program to get item drops without launching the game. I still have the halo. Wat.

There was a second set of drops around the time the Mannconomy update dropped. Cheater ;)
    Koreish said:

I didn't cheat at all and never got my halo. Sad wat.

Valid reason for Steam support ticket is Valid.

-Digi
  • brightbright Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    I don't have a halo, the most I think I did was sometimes go into idle servers, but I was just farming achievements for the weapons. I want a halo..
    edited August 2012
    @Koreish and @bright, Open a ticket at https://support.steampowered.com/

Steam is weird that you have to create another account for support but I think if you do that, they would give you your Halos.

-Digi
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    I SHOULD be trying idling sometime, if nothing else just to get my items for the week. I don't play TF2 as much as I should, because my attentions for games are so all over the place.
    I ran the text-only idle overnight. 19 weps and 3 crates.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Nice article. Thanks, digi :D
    I ran the text-only idle overnight. 19 weps and 3 crates.
    To explain this: There is an 'overflow' so to speak where if you do not get any or all of your drops from a week, that amount will carry over to the next week. There is a limit of 1 week of overflow though so you will never get more than 2 weeks worth of drops in any given week and that will only happen if you did not play at all the previous week.

Glad to see people getting use out of the information provided :D

-Digi
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    I tried the Text-only idle but every time I would run it, it would pop out for a split second and it would exit out.
    @Theironhand Make sure that your batch file is pointing to where you have Steam installed.
    For 64 bit systems this is usually:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe

For 32 bit

C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe

Go in through your C drive and hunt it down. Then right click on your batch file and select Edit and change it to match where your Steam.exe is.

-Digi
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    Here's my textidle.bat (mostly) verbatim. I took out the hooks for notifications.

"D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 440 -nosound -novid -textmode +sv_password "c00k13m0nst3r" +map cp_badlands
    And for those of you who (for some reason) are still on 32-bit:
    "D:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 440 -nosound -novid -textmode +sv_password "b4n4n4r4m4" +map cp_badlands
    Obviously change drive letter as appropriate. I keep it on my desktop so I don't forget to run it in the morning. Uses less than 8% of 2 cores on average for me.

Puzzled by the item schema queueing though. Yesterday I had multiple schema updates reporting as queued, but none applied. Today, it finally said "Current item schema is up-to-date".

I tried the Text-only idle but every time I would run it, it would pop out for a split second and it would exit out.

Also make sure you have the quotes in place in your script. If the steam path isn't in quotes, the bin breaks.

• GargGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    It sounds like cheating, but it's practically a victimless crime. I'm torn between wanting to do it since I don't play enough to get any weapons (I still don't know how most of the ones I'm killed with work), but also frustrated that other people might have all the fancy weapons just because they idled overnight. Then again, they could have bought them with cash money, too, and the microtransaction model is here to stay. So, basically, whatever.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

Gargoyle said:

(I still don't know how most of the ones I'm killed with work)

Usually by getting hit with an item or a projectile that comes out it.
    icwudt
    TiberiusLazarus
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    vanilla TF2 was best TF2
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Medic update only TF2 was best TF2.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    I remember when the only way to get weapons was through some fairly challenging achievements.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    I actually don't remember much of my IC TF2 experience. Can't imagine why that is...
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    shwaip said:

I actually don't remember much of my IC TF2 experience. Can't imagine why that is...

It's part of the euphoric effect of TF2. There's a warning on the box that it can cause amnesia, especially when combined with large quantities of alcohol.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Has this changed at all? I tried setting it up. When I run the .bat file a flicker of a box shows up and nothing launches.

I am logged into steam, the path is correct... stumped.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Nvmnd, thanks _k.