Windows 8 release date is October 26, 2012

2»

Comments

• ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    Thrax said:

No, I don't think Windows 8 is a minor difference. It's a half-assed lapdog that refuses to acknowledge its own shortcomings to help its master undo a horrifyingly bungled market entrance. And that, my friends, is bullshit.

Sad but true!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    So I gave the Release Preview a try and played with it for about a week. I just couldn't get over the lack of a start menu and the fact that I had to look up how to turn the PC off was another major failing for me. I have formatted my SSD and am now back to Windows 7,
    midga
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    For those wanting to try Windows 8 in a non-destructive manner, download a free copy of VMWare Player (here) and install Win8 to a virtual machine. If you're using a CPU that supports hardware virtualization you'll be able to see near-native speed performance and get a good feel for how the new OS works without having to wipe your system.
    fatcat
  • You could also grab the full version of VirtualBox for free instead of using a gimped VMWare that is designed to encourage you to buy their full product.

Does VMWare player even let you create new VMs? I thought, last time I used it, you had to create the VM in one of the paid versions of VMWare in order to run it in VMWare Player.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

You could also grab the full version of VirtualBox for free instead of using a gimped VMWare that is designed to encourage you to buy their full product.

Does VMWare player even let you create new VMs? I thought, last time I used it, you had to create the VM in one of the paid versions of VMWare in order to run it in VMWare Player.

Actually, it does allow you to create new VMs and even supports the hardware virtualization built into AMD and Intel CPUs.
  • Eh... just goes to show how much I've kept up with changes to VMWare player. Last time I used it was 5 years ago... switched to VirtualBox because of the restrictions back then and haven't looked back.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Admittedly I have minimal daily use of it but I've used it to test software and I would currently say I like the metro interface. I'm in the market for a netbook and I'll definitely be considering Win8.

-Digi
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    BobbyDigi said:

Admittedly I have minimal daily use of it but I've used it to test software and I would currently say I like the metro interface. I'm in the market for a netbook and I'll definitely be considering Win8.

-Digi

Why get a netbook when you could get a tablet with a fold-out bluetooth keyboard?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    midga said:

BobbyDigi said:

-Digi

Why get a netbook when you could get a tablet with a fold-out bluetooth keyboard?
    My first thought would be price but I will definitely look into this as it does sound more versatile. If the price is negotiable I may just go that route.

-Digi
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Digi, I second the idea of using a tablet instead of a netbook. I had Win8 on my netbook for a while and I found Metro to be a very frustrating experience without a touchscreen.