USB ports in your wall outlets. NewerTech Power2U review

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    i should/will get one/many of those... already got a usb thingy that goes in a car lighter so...
  • meh i would of like if thay started installing these stand 3 years ago. thats about when i was thinking about how i could really use a usb port in the socket, or a new globe stranded on power sockets that could transfer data and power. Imagen plugging your desk top in to the wall and it has LAN to the power box that has a built in modem that has fibber optics cable running it to it. could be 10+ years before i see something like that tho :/
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    I've installed the FastMac ACE 7702 when I moved in my new place. It is also UL Listed. I love it, though it doesn't have the hidden usb outlets.

http://store.fastmac.com/product_info.php?products_id=505 (or amazon)
  • LincLincoln Owner Detroit Icrontian
    My quibble is that we weren't able to get them flush with the wall completely in the new office. They're quite deep too. We're likely to need caulk or something around the top. That said: worth it.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Why would they not be flush with the wall?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Couldn't get them deep enough in the wall. Not sure if the box was mounted too shallow, but I don't think so.
    Couldn't get them deep enough in the wall.
    That's what he said?

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    The problem in our home office is the boxes; they don't go deep enough.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Shallow boxes aren't a big deal. You just have to be gentle and you can get it all the way in.
  • lmao :D
  • one234hone234h Downingtown, PA [USA]
    Woooow.
    Shallow boxes aren't a big deal. You just have to be gentle and you can get it all the way in.
    Alternatively anything can fit with enough force.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Yeah, but then there tends to be tearing... most boxes don't like that.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I'd be more concerned about the walls. Drywall repair isn't exactly cheap.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
  • one234hone234h Downingtown, PA [USA]
    edited May 2012
    Can't tell if making a stretch of a sex joke, or just pays a handyman too much.

phillip_J_fry.jpg
  • WattyzWattyz Michigan Icrontian
    Do you know if the promo is still going on, and do you still suggest them, or should I go with another mfg? I'm getting outlets put into the office, so the boxes aren't even purchased yet (so size wouldn't be an issue really, or are they hard to come by?)
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    If it helps, the critical reviews on Amazon focus only on the space requirements, which means that the purchaser was at fault for not listening to the manufacturer specs and realizing it wouldn't be a correct solution for their situation. Everyone else seems to like them.
    Not sure about the promo, but I definitely still recommend them. The two standout features: UL listing, and transformer turning off when USB doors are shut. Here is the current store page.
  • WattyzWattyz Michigan Icrontian
    Thanks. Now I need an electrician for my 'office.' I hate that the ipad must be plugged into the wall, but this would work perfectly.
    edited June 2012
    Today they lowered the price to $19.99
    June 26, 2012, Woodstock, IL - Newer Technology, Inc. (NewerTech®),
    a leading developer of Macintosh®, PC, iPod®, iPhone®, and iPad® performance
    upgrades and accessories, announced today it has lowered the Manufacturer's Suggested
    Retail Price by 17 percent for its Power2U™ AC/USB Wall Outlet.

Now priced at $24.99 MSRP with street pricing as low as $19.99, the Power2U is
    the first home-safe, UL-Listed in-wall charging solution available to enhance
    living and working spaces by eliminating the clutter created by multiple cables
    and unsightly bulky power adapters.

Turns Walls into Charging Stations
    Ideal for homes with users of multiple USB-chargeable devices, the Power2U is
    available in four decorator colors to blend seamlessly into any residential wall
    as a standard power outlet. By incorporating two traditional three-prong AC wall
    sockets in addition to two USB 3.0/2.0/1.1 ports, the Power2U transforms an ordinary
    wall into a modern, centralized location for charging/powering up to four devices
    simultaneously.

Easy 20-Minute or Faster Install
    The Power2U is a basic 'DIY' install on any 15Amp circuit with a 16-cubic-inch
    electrical box. A “straightforward” rated “how-to” video showing how the Power2U
    can be installed in 20 minutes or less is available.

Money Saving, Energy Efficient
    In addition to being convenient to use, the Power2U provides two energy efficiency
    features. The intelligent Smart Power design only outputs enough charging power
    to meet the requirements of the device that is attached. The specially designed
    spring-loaded Safety Shutters completely turn off power to the USB ports when
    a connecting cable is removed.

Praised and Proven by Media and Consumers
    While the Power2U only began shipping six months ago, it has captured broad praise
    from professional media and consumers. Good Morning America called it 'brilliant';
    and the Miami Herald named it 'gadget of the year'. After being installed and
    used by over 150 Handyman Club of America members, Power2U received their highly
    coveted Seal of Approval by earning a 92 percent approval rating. The Power2U
    has also been named a finalist in the “New Product or Service of the Year - Consumer
    Electronics” category of the 2012 American Business AwardsSM.

“The features and benefits of the Power2U have clearly resonated with mobile
    device users, and with this aggressive new pricing move, it will continue to
    attract more customers,” said Larry O'Connor, President, Newer Technology Inc.
    “With a $19.99 street price, the Power2U is a better value than ever.”

Price and Availability
    While priced at $24.99 MSRP, the Newer Technology Power2U AC/USB Wall Outlet
    is 'available from retailers and Newer Technologys exclusive distributor, Other
    World Computing (OWC®) for as low as $19.99.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I could see putting several of these in my home. Thanks for the bump and pricing update!
    Holiday sale on these for $11.50 each
    So installing these are not any different than installing regular wall outlets, correct? I.E. there's no extra wires for the USB Ports?
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    In for 1...
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    CrazyJoe said:

So installing these are not any different than installing regular wall outlets, correct? I.E. there's no extra wires for the USB Ports?

That's correct, just make sure your current box has enough room.