which laptop?

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited January 2004 in Hardware
i am working with bothered and have registered but can not post until i get home to activate my account ,but would like to ask a question.
could anyone suggest a laptop which is ok for gameing,as i need a computer which is portable but i like to play the latest games.
thanks
worried.

Comments

• JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited January 2004
    :topic: Bothered, you need to up your security mate, as every man, child, pet & kitchen sink seems to be using your S-M account. :vimp:

As for recommendations I'm affraid I cant help here as I'm in the same boat and yet to find a suitable but affordable solution.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    And in jumps Geeky with his pitch for Sagernotebooks!
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2004
    Jimborae, no problem with sequrity, I am at work with worried, He's registered but untill we finish and he gets home he can't post so I let him use mine to ask the question. And little bothered has been told not to use my account to post!
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    They dont sell SAGER over here.. so that saves one huge post in the db ;)
    edited January 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    They dont sell SAGER over here.. so that saves one huge post in the db ;)

Yeah I was just looking for Sager and came to that conclusion.

So what recomendations do people have that peeps in the UK can buy?
    edited January 2004
    Just to get an idea this is the sought of spec and price I would be considering

Nice Lappy
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    That's a pretty damn nice lappy indeed.
    edited January 2004
    Nice but too heavy for a shortass like me :(

Ive got one of these

http://global.acer.com/products/tablet_pc/tmc100.htm

That I bought cheap (£500).. brand new from a friend... suits me.. as I dont game.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2004
    Thanks all, worried should be home soon so he will be here later in person, you have been warned.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited January 2004
    Enervex has a Sager, so they are available over there. If you can find out where he got his, I'd look into that. But regardless, the notebook that Jimborae just linked to is a Sager anyhow... Clevo OEM's Sager's notebooks, and that Quaddra XT Pro is identical to a Sager NP8890 as far as I can tell.

Also, both www.pctorque.com and www.powernotebooks.com may do international shipping (I checked their sites, but didn't see anything... you'd have to e-mail them) in which case it may be cheaper to buy it from them and have it shipped.
    edited January 2004
    He got his on ebay ;) and it was shipped from the US. He then got stung like a mofo on import duty....
    edited January 2004
    I also found this notebook as well. Very expensive but it looks the Mutt's Nuts. Anybody got any experience with Alienware as I've nver heard of them.

Mutt's Nuts Lappy
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited January 2004
    i been lookin for a new lappy for a while now and i like the look of this lappy, like the price even more :)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Question is, what do you want? Portability? CPU Power? Graphic Power?
    You must establish what you want before you go looking for machines....
    edited January 2004
    Actually I think I've found a similar/same laptop as the Alienware back at rockdirect.com for a lot less mula.

Xtreme Lappy
    edited January 2004
    Jim, Alienware doesn't use that chassis anymore. That is a Sager NP5680, which is the updated version of my 5620; it's an excellent machine.
    edited January 2004
    Can't fault that laptop except for 2 things, one, you are going to have a VERY short battery life, even with 2 batteries (2 hours max). Secondly it will be obscenely heavy. But, if those 2 points don't bother you, then you have the perfect laptop.

That laptop is the same as the Sager 5680 if I remember correctly.
    edited January 2004
    Thanx for that Geeky.

NS, where sells Sagers in the Uk.
    edited January 2004
    Can't find any to be honest, but sagers are rebadged Clevo's, so it may be worth looking into those too.
    edited January 2004
    ok, tyvm
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Ideal combination would be a P4M @ 1.4 or better and ATI Mobility 9600. You'd get great performance, good gaming, light weight and very decent battery power. Prolly cost an arm & a leg tho.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Well a Clevo as Geeky said, or a Dell desktop replacement grade Lappie with extra battery, or a good high end Sony Vaio (for multimedia and gaming, the Sony's are decent and have good LCD panels and decent graphics).

Price range, US Dollars, about 3X the cost of a very good desktop, 3X the cost of a small form factor carryable computer, and would almost say a LAN-style Shuttle chassis with a decent board and video and HD and DVD\CD-RW combo drive in it would be best economy move right now for gaming and LANs.

Right now, looking around, we are talking about $2,500.00-$2,800.00 USD for a very good desktop replacement at US street, and ZERO O\C would be really feasible as the lappies of that grade have a heating problem typically even now at stock specs and very short battery life. Plan on a RAM upgrade, with about 2\3 the decent lappies out there, and video is not replaceable in 95% of cases and shares main RAM also (which is why I say RAM upgrade for gaming).

Battery packs and thin\slim DVD\CD-RW combo drives and special RAM and LCD panels are major cost of lappie, probably 1\3-1\2 the mfr cost and half the cost to you.

Basicly, can get a LAN-style computer, and a decent LCD for about 2\3-3\4 the cost of a truely comparable lappie. Downside, plug it in, plug it in....

John.
    edited January 2004
    It depends on what you're looking for. Keto's suggestion of a Pentium M (he meant Pentium M... no P4m is 1.4GHz :)) and a 9600 is perfect if you want reasonable weight and battery life, but it still can't keep up with a loaded 8890... the 8890 can be had with a 3.2GHz-C or -EE P4, 2GB of dual-channel DDR400, 3 hard drives, 2 of which can be RAIDed, plus a dvd burner, and the 9600 mobility. BUT, it also weighs a lot more than a Pentium M notebook would, and it gets comparatively awful battery life.

John, the Sonys are passable for games at best. Sony's screens are great, and the extra apps they include that monitor stuff like battery life (in terms of charge cycles remaining), and stuff like that are great, but they generally have relatively low-end graphics cards, which makes them less than ideal for gaming... They're great computers (my grandfather has had 3 sony laptops in the past 4 years or so), but they're not gaming machines.

By the way, anyone that is getting a laptop would be insane not to get a 7200rpm or at least a 5400rpm drive. The difference from my 4200rpm drive to the new 7200rpm Toshiba I just bought is like night & day. My laptop (P4-2.4, 512MB, ATi R7500m 64MB) is now an acceptably fast computer. Before, it was fast as far as laptops go, but it was a great deal slower than my desktops. The 7200rpm drive eliminates most of that difference.
    edited January 2004
    Sagers are rebadged Clevos, not the other way around. Alienwares previous Area51-M and Pico laptops (available in the UK I believe) are/were also the same rebadged machines.