Avengers : Infinity War

CantiCanti =/= smalltimehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

I still haven't seen most of the Marvel films since Age of Ultron but this got me more hyped than Star Wars.

Anyone else pumped? Thoughts/theories?

Comments

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

Definitely excited, and I'm sure I've seen all of the movies.

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

@Canti said:
    I still haven't seen most of the Marvel films since Age of Ultron but this got me more hyped than Star Wars.

You're missing out!

Films since AoU:

Ant-Man - Good!
    Civil War - Great
    Doctor Strange - Good!
    GotG2 - Great!
    Spider-man Homecoming - Great!
    Thor Ragnarok - Good-Great border

IMHO of course.

All of them better films than Age of Ultron, honestly.

Cliff_Forster
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

Get outta here with your "Good" for Doctor Strange. Only Marvel movie I went to see twice in the theater.

RyanMMBuddyJSoda
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I feel like they are going to run into "too many stories" issues again. They already introduced each character, hopefully they skim over it and stick to a coherent single plot.

primesuspect
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2017

@Linc said:
    Get outta here with your "Good" for Doctor Strange. Only Marvel movie I went to see twice in the theater.

That was just because of Benedict.. come on, we are on to you. ;D<3

ThraxSodaGnomeQueenLinc
  • I had an uncontrollable nerdgasm when I saw the Infinity War promo. Marvel has done a fantastic job at building up the universe, getting you to care about the characters before inserting them into a major event like this. The newer X men films didn't do it right, it's like, hey, here is an ensemble film about a bunch of unfamiliar new characters that will all get minimum intro, but please care about them, and don't get me started on the dumpster fire that is the DC film universe..... Marvel knows, we have to do a Dr. Strange movie even if it's just British Supernatural Iron Man (Genius super talented rich dick head has life altering event, goes on existential and technical journey to re discover himself, becomes less of a dick and saves the world for the admiration of a good lookin middle aged lady....) Still, I give a damn about Dr. Strange and Ant-Man because I got to know who they are... Havok, Kitty Pride, Emma Frost, Aqaman, Cyborg, I should care, but I'm given like a ten second introduction to each of them before throwing them into peril, that's why it doesn't work. Infinity War will work brilliantly because every important character has been built up in an important way already. Even boring ass Hawkeye is kinda cool in the Marvel Cinematic Universe because we find out who he is beyond being really good with a bow and arrow.... Trust me, Infinity War is a sure thing, the people making Marvel Cinematic Universe films are total pros.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

The difference between the good Marvel movies and X-Men (with the exception of Deadpool and Logan) movies is Marvel Studios vs Fox.

Back in the day, Marvel sold Fox distribution rights for X-Men, Spiderman, and a couple of other properties. Once Marvel got under Disney with a huge distribution network, they didn't need Fox for stuff like Avengers and GoTG. They got Spiderman back for Homecoming (and Civil War), so far.

I'd like to see everything PG-13 and below get moved back to Marvel Studios/Disney, and let Fox to the R-rated stuff, because they're admittedly quite good at those, where they fall down on the other stuff.

Cliff_Forster
  • Logan works not because it's R rated, it works because you give a shit about Logan and Charles Xavier. You care because of the good movies that came before the garbage ones. Hell, a movie with Logan is a 50/50 shot at best, but because there are those gems there, the stories that show him as heroic, show him in a light that makes you care about him, when you see him broken at the end of his life it's truly depressing. Logan may have lost some of it's Unforgiven style impact if it were PG-13, but the reason it succeeds is that you care about the characters.

I don't get Deadpool, did not like it. To me it's the genre devolved to what it might of looked like in 1991 when everyone thought all you needed was some more edge and toilet humor to elevate comics to an adult medium. I don't appreciate it, I think it's an insult to people that love superhero comics, plus fuck that guy for ruining Hal Jordan.

I think it's a terrible shame that the Fantastic 4 are not part of the Marvel cinematic universe. So much potential for a great film, I thought the first one years back was fun, the second was a dumpster fire, the reboot is a miserable joyless mistake. One of my favorite comics growing up, if you gave it to Disney they would make a gem out of it, I just know it.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

I think it’s a blessing they have to keep the X-Men separate. It’s too many goddamn characters with conflicting stories in one universe.

There, I said it.

GnomeQueenRyanMMCliff_Forster

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Logan works not because it's R rated, it works because you give a shit about Logan and Charles Xavier. You care because of the good movies that came before the garbage ones. Hell, a movie with Logan is a 50/50 shot at best, but because there are those gems there, the stories that show him as heroic, show him in a light that makes you care about him, when you see him broken at the end of his life it's truly depressing. Logan may have lost some of it's Unforgiven style impact if it were PG-13, but the reason it succeeds is that you care about the characters.

I think it's both. To try and tell the story that Logan did with the constraints of the rating system would have watered it down terribly. There are a lot of stories out there that just don't work if you try to shoehorn them into PG-13 because they're violent desolate tales without necessarily happy endings.

I don't get Deadpool, did not like it. To me it's the genre devolved to what it might of looked like in 1991 when everyone thought all you needed was some more edge and toilet humor to elevate comics to an adult medium. I don't appreciate it, I think it's an insult to people that love superhero comics, plus fuck that guy for ruining Hal Jordan.

I'm sorry you are incorrect about Deadpool. But it happens. :)

Real Talk: I get where people wouldn't like it, especially people who are deep into the comic mythology. I'm not, and as such had a blast with a 2-hour superhero dick and fart joke fest.

I think it's a terrible shame that the Fantastic 4 are not part of the Marvel cinematic universe. So much potential for a great film, I thought the first one years back was fun, the second was a dumpster fire, the reboot is a miserable joyless mistake. One of my favorite comics growing up, if you gave it to Disney they would make a gem out of it, I just know it.

I would LOVE to see F4 under Marvel Studios. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened yet after the travesty that was the most recent movie.

Cliff_Forster
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

@Linc said:
    I think it’s a blessing they have to keep the X-Men separate. It’s too many goddamn characters with conflicting stories in one universe.

There, I said it.

X-Men were a thing I knew long before the Avengers characters, I grew up on the cartoon and read that comic more than anything else, and I agree. Keeping them almost quarantined from the MCU has been a huge net positive.

Linc

Finally caught Thor: Ragnarok over the Christmas break and absolutely loved everything about it.

I like how all of the movies have little call-outs that eventually point to IW, and my oldest and I are looking forward to spending the winter/spring re-watching all of the MCU movies in preparation for it.

Really looking forward to Black Panther as the pre-finale to the whole thing. I think it's going to be a pretty epic lead-in for the ending.

Lincbright
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

New trailer drop!

Canti
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Seeing Star Lord interact with Tony Stark is jarring. Should be fun.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

I just want more Shuri! Shuri movie pls

AlexDeGruven
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

Did a lot of catching up recently and only have 1st Avenger, Dr. Strange, and Black Panther to see before this is out. The ending of Guardians vol. 2 got me choked up, deal with it, I couldn't. I'm all aboard the hype train but I worry that there are so many characters being thrown into the fight that it will be hard to do them all justice even in a two part film.

@Canti said:
    Did a lot of catching up recently and only have 1st Avenger, Dr. Strange, and Black Panther to see before this is out. The ending of Guardians vol. 2 got me choked up, deal with it, I couldn't. I'm all aboard the hype train but I worry that there are so many characters being thrown into the fight that it will be hard to do them all justice even in a two part film.

I've been meaning to tweet at James Gunn along the lines of "Screw you for making me get choked up about Michael Rooker", but haven't yet.

I'm so ready for this. I can't wait to see how everything starts coming together and eventually wrapped.