December 2019 GPU recommendation

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

Hi team. What's the latest hotness in GPUs? I'm pretty out of date on that front. I'm currently using a Radeon R9 Nano.

I don't need bleeding edge, but maybe the top mid-range card. I've got a freesync monitor but I'm not averse to switching to NVIDIA. I'm really, really tired of Radeon drivers, but if a Radeon card is the best bet, I'm willing to stick with it.

Thanks!

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

What resolution do you play at? Also, what monitor is it and is it g-sync compatible.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

ASUS MG-248Q is my primary monitor. Freesync. I don't love it, but I don't necessarily want to buy a new monitor

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2019

Some Reddit users claim the monitor is unofficially supported.

If you want to stay with AMD I'd suggest the RX 5700. For Nvidia, the RTX 2060 Super. They're pretty much neck-in-neck in performance, but there's like 2 dozen RX 5700's ahead of the cheapest RTX 2060 Super in a price list.

Edit: There's a few RX 5700 XT's cheaper than the RTX 2060 Super on PCPartPicker. Link

Edit 2: Tech Deals on YouTube does an extensive amount of benchmarking for GPUs and CPUs. Here's the summary for 1080p benchmarks.

What is Vega? Is that last-gen?

edited December 2019

Those were released in 2017. Not sure their performance.

Edit: https://benchmarks.ul.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+RX+Vega+64+review

Ah they're the last gen. Got it. Thanks man!

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2019

I feel this is a fair estimate of the current market: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

Not reflected in the article: If you can get a 5700 XT at the price of a 5700, it's an even better deal for that price point.

Any GPU on this list will enable FreeSync on your current monitor.

What's confusing about that list is that the list shows the Radeon VII but the VII shows up nowhere in the article; they talk about the RX 5700.... am I missing something?

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2019

Um, I have a APU with Radeon Vega RX 10 in it. I think the Vega means embedded video. The APU is a Ryzen 5 2400g-- the Ryzen 5 3400g has Radeon Vega RX 11 in it.

I think you should get a video card unless you have a B450 chipset board. That chipset will output HDMI or DVI video, no freesync so far as I know--but I may be wrong in saying no freesync.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Vega is last Gen. I have Vega 56 and it works awesome at 1080p gaming. I have a 144hz 1080p freesync dell and I am well above 60 fps even in dazaralor as an example. You do play some more demanding games than I do but VII and 5700 are both "better" than Vega 56.

No other recommendations, just some data.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

I have an RTX 2070. Middle of the road, plays everything at 2k nicely, gsync and Nvidia Shield is awesome.

primesuspect
    edited December 2019

Raven comes 2 ways-- on a card and on a few APU modules and motherboards as Raven Ridge:

TechPowerUp has this to say about it:

Recommeded Gaming Resolutions

• 640x480
    • 1280x720
    • 1366x768
    • 1600x900
    • 1920x1080

The Radeon RX Vega 11 is an integrated graphics solution by AMD, launched in February 2018. Built on the 14 nm process, and based on the Raven graphics processor, the device supports DirectX 12.0. It features 704 shading units, 44 texture mapping units and 8 ROPs. The GPU is operating at a frequency of 300 MHz, which can be boosted up to 1240 MHz.

Its power draw is rated at 65 W maximum."

so, it is not the newest, but it was first released in Feb. 2018 so it not the poorest either.

I think I'm gonna end up with either a 5700XT or an RTX 2070. Thanks all!

Thrax
    edited December 2019

Ok, so long as your motherboard has a PCIe 3.0 x16 socket that is not in use. You need to check specs on AMD for the video card, and look up the specs for the motherboard's version of PCIe support.

https://www.channelpro.co.uk/advice/9909/how-to-find-out-if-your-computer-has-a-pcie-30-x16-slot 

The above is an article with pictures from ChannelPro.

primesuspect

lol John I know that stuff, I've been building PCs for 20 years <3

Ok, cool -- I tried. I built my last PC recently, and started with a Motorola Z80A CPU about 50 years ago. I have more experience than you by a bit, and know compatibility and capacity is ALL. Best of luck.... :(

primesuspect
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2019

I've been on the RX590 on a very similar 1080P 144 Hz monitor. At that level I have not had any trouble running anything. That said, it's not a huge upgrade from the R9 Nano, maybe a 30% or so performance boost from there.

On your monitor I don't know that I'd blow the extra on the XT. The base RX 5700 is going to drive max framerates at 1080P on just about everything, so unless 4K or VR is in your future, that's a smart way to save a little coin. Just don't buy anything with that stock reference cooler because reports on the RX 5700 cards when they first came out had them all running hot and loud. Partner cards with better coolers have resolved that. This on is $329.00 right now, it's more than you are going to need. - https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-100417p8gl/p/N82E16814202350?Description=RX%205700&cm_re=RX_5700-_-14-202-350-_-Product

I'm always of the mind of keeping future upgrades into consideration, so a high-end card that I won't replace for 3+ years might drive a future monitor I might get in 6+ months.

Cliff_ForsterStraight_Man