Let's get it done

_k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
edited November 2019 in Folding@Home

The cold weather is finally back in town here in Texas. Let's get it done this winter!

GHoosdumLincStraight_Man

Comments

• Is Folding your source of winter heating for your home?

LincprimesuspectMassalinieStraight_Man
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

Only 40%

GHoosdumStraight_ManMassalinieBlueTattoo
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

I finally folded my first WUs in months a couple days ago. Then the A/C turned on again. Come on, winter.

GHoosdum_kStraight_Man
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2019

I have a room where, without A/C on, the temp reaches 82 F when it is 60 F outside. I have A/C set to 80 F so it does not go on a lot. 14188 W/U folds in about 10 hours instead of 10 days.

edited December 2019

I have discovered that my machine runs well folding one W/U at a time-- the servers started giving me perfectly indentical instances when I tried 2 w/u at once.

Remember, this is not a folding only computer so my work folding needs to leave room for my graphics work. The RAM will be updated to 32 GB in about three weeks.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I wish I could leave my PCs on 24/7 like I was doing, but running the IC Minecraft server at the office and having $300 power bills at home doesn't allow to me fold anymore unfortunately.

I got volunteered to run the cluster at the makerspace, and for half a second was excited about getting the nodes Folding. Then I found out they almost got rid of them because of heat and the power bill.

Guess I'll let them idle :(

Interesting enough I had my spare computer just turn itself off in the middle of the night several days ago. Apparently the PSU failed in it 100%. Back up and lets see if the PSU failure killed anything else!

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Ok fine I'm back

Massalinie
    edited January 2020

I saw ;). A few people are cranking back up @QCH @Sonorous

Looks like @Straight_Man's strategy is working :D

_kStraight_Man
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2020

I have 4 nVidia GTX 1060 now... So, yeah, I'm taking it seriously. 😎

primesuspectStraight_ManBlueTattoo
  • BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

@OCH said "I have 4 nVidia GTX 1060 now..."

That'll keep ya warm!

primesuspect
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

Two are at work and two at home... But, yeah... they are keeping my offices, both, warm. 😁

If we can keep this up for a while the team total will hit 10 billion points before summer!

Yup! :)

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian

Sure, why not. I think it's been like 10 years, but I started folding again on a GTX 1080 and RX 5700 XT tonight.

primesuspectGarg
    edited April 2020

Hi @mas0n 😃

I cannot get a GPU WU for the life of me. My score is plummeting. Also who is messymilfshake? 🤣

Howdy @primesuspect
    For better and for worse, WU availability does seem to be an issue. I have a sample size of about 9 hours, but looks like my AMD card has stayed busy, but the NVIDIA card is doing more waiting than folding.

Come on @mas0n you got to run faster!!

mas0n

Added some new clients and can do ~2.8 million PPD when they all have work units ... but that's not very often right now.

OK, I added some more again ... can do ~4M PPD, but this is likely my max. It's everything at home and any worthwhile spare hardware at the office.

Garg

...I created a problem for myself.....

mas0nGargMassalinie

I know 10 years is an eternity in the hardware world, but this still blows my mind. I'm currently putting up more points in 36 hours than I did in 3 solid years, 2007-2010.

MassalinieprimesuspectGarg

@mas0n suggested this and it seems to work. If you are getting stuck without WUs for a long time add the slot option client-type advanced

Massalinie

Mason, please try to choose high priority in the web client's choice of what to work on. you will get almost all Co-Vid 19 work units.
    Oh, web client you say?
    go to client.foldingathome.org and install the updated software.

Even without setting a priority, I have almost exclusively been getting covid-19 related work units. Pretty sure that's how the assignment servers are prioritizing work.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=33481#p319204