Returning to Folding@Home in 2016

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

I saw a Reddit thread that got me re-interested in Folding@Home. It was basically someone asking (back in 2012) if Folding had actually accomplished anything after all these years. The top comment was a scientist who basically said "Unequivocally, YES".

So since I'm at work 8-9 hours a day and sleeping for several hours a day but my PC is always on, I decided to restart.

Team 93 is still active. We're 43rd in the world, and we will be passed by team [A]rab Folders in 4 weeks. I'm gonna help stave that off and hell, maybe even move us back up in the charts :)

Our community looks very different today than it did 10 years ago when folding was big, but many of us still have supercomputers sitting at our feet and F@H has NEVER been easier to install and configure.

GargBuddyJDocFrazier

Comments

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

I'll look into joining you.

primesuspect
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I will also do this thing.

primesuspect
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Scoreboard. :fold:

primesuspectBuddyJ
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Well, off to an inauspicious start. Having a Steam game open (Clicker Heroes), Folding running, and then launching WoW caused my computer to shut down. Suspected power issues :dunce:

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

Hells yes! :fold:

After years of slogging, I'm finally close to breaking back into our team's top 10. I don't think I've been there in 10 years. Don't make it easy on me, though. I need people on my overtake list!

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Sure, why not?

Welp. Looks like I can't fold on my main PC until I figure out my power problems. Twice now, my PC has hard-locked :-/

Our team is still higher on the charts than team Reddit. They will overtake us in 1.5 months. We cannot let that happen.

Garg
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I'll help again too! Though, I keep my PCs off at night now, which will limit mt PPD.

Garg
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2016

I can't believe I'm still #12 for the team.... I haven't folded in over a year.

Guess I'll look at setting it back up on my server.... I don't have to pay for the power on that thing.

Edit: Installed on my work laptop too... running CPU and GPU workloads. I don't think I've ever heard the fans kick up that high on this thing. Maybe the extra heat will offset the cold air that gets in through the shitty windows in my cube....

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Link the reddit thread, noob.

Hero

Seems like the PSU was the problem. Computer's cranking along fine today.

_k
  • @primesuspect said:
    Seems like the PSU was the problem. Computer's cranking along fine today.

Someone probably stuck a penny in it.

pigflipper_k
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

You had me at hello... :fold:

Oh, and I have F@H T-Shirts. :eek3:

GHoosdum

@QCH said:

Do want

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@QCH said:

We should compare t-shirt collection sizes sometime. The Expos-past pile is getting a bit ridic.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2016

@QCH said:

I happen to be wearing mine right now.

@primesuspect said:
    Team 93 is still active. We're 43rd in the world, and we will be passed by team [A]rab Folders in 4 weeks. I'm gonna help stave that off and hell, maybe even move us back up in the charts :)

We have fallen far. :(

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@GHoosdum said:
    We have fallen far. :(

NICE WORK WITH THE POSITIVE ATTITUDE ROB.

GHoosdumCBGargAnnes
  • Apparently GPU folding on my laptop's Nvidia GF117M is not worth it. FAHControl listed an ETA of over 10 days. Plus the idle detection doesn't work (at least under my Linux setup) so marking it as run when idle resulted in it not running at all last night. Guess I'll stick with CPU folding on here. That's giving me a 4600 PPD estimate.

I'm number three in production for the team with an i7 3770k at 4.2 and a 290x. My A8-6600k and GTX 660ti just started folding as well. I'm sure if others came back to folding we could get our overall PPD back to "normal" levels.

Garg
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2016

I guess I could give it a shot. I could use the warmth by my legs due to a draft right next to me. Maybe it'll give me an idea of what my max temps are.

Edit: My PC sounds like an aircraft about to take off.

Sonorous
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@Gargoyle said:
    Don't make it easy on me, though. I need people on my overtake list!

@Sonorous said:
    I'm number three in production for the team with an i7 3770k at 4.2 and a 290x. My A8-6600k and GTX 660ti just started folding as well. I'm sure if others came back to folding we could get our overall PPD back to "normal" levels.

D-: Looks like it's time for me to turn on GPU folding!

Sonorous

Stats> @Gargoyle said:

@Gargoyle said:
    Don't make it easy on me, though. I need people on my overtake list!

@Sonorous said:

D-: Looks like it's time for me to turn on GPU folding!

That 4.9 years to overtake figure is no longer valid. It's down to 1.4 and dropping. :fold::fold::fold::fold::fold::fold:

primesuspect
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

Anyone notice their computers being sluggish while browsing (either on Chrome or Firefox)? It's really annoying.

@BlackHawk said:
    Anyone notice their computers being sluggish while browsing (either on Chrome or Firefox)? It's really annoying.

So far no. I even have all four cores at 100% and the GPU at 100%.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

It should run at the lowest priority via the scheduler, so any delays for CPU time would be at the time slice level, nothing you would notice.

• It could be GPU lag though.... the F@H docs state there is no priority schedule for GPUs that the workload can take advantage of. I would suggest setting GPU to only fold when idle (provided you're not on Linux, as the idle detection doesn't work on Linux).