Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

BobbyDigiAlexDeGruvenChoochCliff_ForsterBuddyJ

Comments

• Leia, hug me, nerd tears.

primesuspect
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

The music just turns me into a puddle on the floor.

Also: BILLY DEE WILLIAMS

BuddyJ
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited April 2019

SO

HYPE

OMFG

I just can't even.

LANDO!

Oldest "She's gonna do a backflip and slice that fighter"

primesuspect

My arms during the trailer

Cliff_Forster
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Was that... Palpatine laughing?

Oldest picked that out instantly, too. I think he may he a bigger nerd than me.

"OMG, it's Sidious! Yesssssss!"

Kwitko

Yes, it's definitely Palpatine. Ian McDiarmid was on stage to introduce the trailer, IN CHARACTER. He is in Episode IX

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited April 2019

I'm more pumped to finally see Lando back than pretty much anything else. Looks great but bringing Palpatine back out of nowhere after not being mentioned in the last 2 films seems like a weird thing to do. Also, I'm gonna guess they're looking at what's left of the main weapon of the 2nd deathstar at the end. So Palpatine's force ghost has just been hanging out in the ruins of the deathstar for like 30 years?

Leia was able to survive getting sucked out into space without any formal Jedi training. It's not terribly unreasonable that a Sith master could do better. Also, the whole discussion with Anakin about the Jedi master who defeated death itself.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

I love all star wars not named EpI, II, or III. Keep it comin'.

• Little detail, but isn't the hilt of the saber identical to the Anakin / Luke saber that was destroyed in Episode 8?

Oh I don't think that's a little detail. I think it's a very deliberate, tight camera shot on the hilt during the trailer, which makes it very clear that it's Luke's lightsaber. Extremely intentional.

ThraxCliff_Forster
  • When you recognize the shape of the lightsaber hilt, you might be a Star Wars nerd.

Okay... So I'm thinking a ton about the significance of the title. Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi, Rise of the Skywalker. So... Let's think about the Force as a sort of theology, a religious practice where there are various levels of understanding, various ways to practice the faith. Chirrut Îmwe sort of confirms this in Rogue One. There are people that have faith in the force without being a Jedi. It's sort of mirrors some of our own modern day faith based theological struggles. Like, okay, the Church does this really amazing thing, but also excludes or denounces this other thing... what am I to believe? And I think for the entire last film to have it's weight and meaning, you almost have to see Luke's side of this argument, that the Jedi, as well meaning as they were, were misguided by their own sense of pride and collective mission. It's a stuffy kind of conservative culture, one where you are forced to give up everything you love to give fully of yourself. It's almost like Catholic priesthood. And in the case of the Jedi you indoctrinate them as young as possible, you take them away from their families, you lead them into a life of service, subservient to a cause, and once in that life, you never really get to decide for yourself. Palatine as horrible as he is, he talks about the Jedi's narrow dogmatic view. He resents them for limiting their potential.

I think this is the direction of the story. The Jedi truly are no more. It's an ancient culture. It's history has value, but it's not the way forward. In a way, it can take some of that heavy handed political message from the last film and spin it into something palatable that fans can buy into. Also, I am thrilled JJ Abrams was smart enough to sit in a room with George Lucas and bounce some ideas off him.

Anyway, that's what I think it means. The rise of Skywalker is about a new view of the force. One that values your individuality, one that is inclusive, one that says the force does not belong to any specific group.

God I love this shit.

The very same sort of philosophical arguments about the "direction" and what is "proper" Buddhism is a never-ending discussion in our world. I see the Jedi stuff as having tons and tons of parallels in the Buddhist world IRL. There are conservative Buddhists, rogue Buddhists, warrior Buddhists, austerity Buddhists, worldly Buddhists and so on.

Cliff_Forster
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

Because your trailer just isn't legit without a trading card set...

• There were rumors around the eleventh doctor making an appearance and his role has not been announced. Maybe the Palpatine engineered a younger clone version of himself on Kamino. 40ish years past since the end of ROTJ, Matt Smith is about 40, maybe order 67 is birth his clone after death so he can come back and beat some ass younger and stronger but with the amassed knowledge passed down from dark side archives or whatever.

Just tooling with ideas for fun, it would be a neat little prequel tie in.

Also my brother said this to me the other day. He thinks the scene with Rey jumping over Kylo's fighter, it's not him trying to kill her, he is saving her.... I think Kylo's redemption would be a far more satisfying ending than his further demise into the darkness. Rey saber out, mounts the top of the ship to defect oncoming fire as they make their escape together. Maybe the planet they are on is about to get the Death Star treatment, who knows. The Leia hug at the end of the film, tears shed, Kylo dead having saved Rey, thanks for bringing my son back... The Leia Rey hug should be the last shot of the entire series, boom, Star Wars live action films take a few well deserved years off and episode 8 is somewhat redeemed in the minds of fans.

I'm gonna go with this theory:

The rise of Skywalker refers to Kylo Ren. It's his redemption. He is literally a Skywalker, and as much as everyone wants Rey to be one, she's not.

I'm sticking to it.

RyderBobbyDigiKwitko
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    I'm gonna go with this theory:

The rise of Skywalker refers to Kylo Ren. It's his redemption. He is literally a Skywalker, and as much as everyone wants Rey to be one, she's not.

I'm sticking to it.

Which is why I'm still on the Kenobi train for Rey. A Kenobi that ends up helping a Skywalker back from the dark side.

GnomeQueen

Which is basically what happened in Jedi.

There's a really good breakdown on Luke's journey in Jedi, and about how when we see him he looks to be well on his way down that path. Which is also why the emperor pushes so hard to convert him.

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

Things I don't wanna see:

A Kylo redemption
    A Rey Skywalker lineage
    Jar Jar Binks

That's about it. Everything else is cool with me.

Ryder

You're gonna be disappointed

Ryder
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

It's JJ Abrams. That's definitely a possibility. :/

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

I really really don't want her to be a Skywalker. For one thing, incest?? Secondly, I actually really like the idea that she doesn't come from some sort of epic lineage. She's just a normal person with normal crappy parents who rose above that to become a hero.

But if she's got to have the lineage, I'd vote a Kenobi.

RyanMM
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Luke's father is Chewbacca.

CantiCliff_Forster
    edited April 2019

@GnomeQueen said:
    She's just a normal person with normal crappy parents who rose above that to become a hero.

They really made that point at the end of TLJ with the kid and the broom. That it didn't matter where you came from, The Force is for all who choose to access it.

@GnomeQueen said:
    But if she's got to have the lineage, I'd vote a Kenobi.

Also, this. Alone on a desert planet communing with the force-ghost of my mentor. Yeah, I heard those Mos Eisley chicks are fast.

Twist: Sebulba is a girl

Cliff_Forster
  • I think it is imperative that Rey remain "normal" in lineage but special in the sense that the force selected her. I think you could do an entire disposition on how the Jedi thought the force worked vs what it really seems to be, kind of dispel the idea of midichlorians and perhaps restore some magic to the force. Your special because the force selected you, and in Rey's case, she is strong of will and has a good heart and is worthy and I think that is the one thing Ryan Johnson got right. JJ would be best to expand on that.

Soda
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2019

Can't believe I never considered it before, but with Rey using a home-made staff throughout the first film, makes sense she'd use a staff-like double bladed lightsaber. Assuming that scene is real and not a dream of sorts. Looks doap.

The more I think about this movie, the more I'm frustrated with The Last Jedi's lack of any time skip at all, and its general treatment of time progression throughout the story. We're at the end of this trilogy, and (likely) the end of a massive 9 film multi-generational storyline, and I feel like going into this final film I still don't know who any of these characters are. They all feel like the same characters we met at the beginning of The Force Awakens. I don't feel like I've witnessed any real growth or development from the key players. Kylo has a scar now and tossed his helmet, I guess? Rey kinda uses the force sorta?

This film will ultimately decide how I feel about TLJ. I've held off on truly deciding my feelings on it because once viewed as a complete trilogy and story, that'll make or break the directions that film took.

BuddyJCanti
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2019