Do you like anime

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited September 2003 in Internet & Media
Ok, this is a poll to see how many watch and like Anime, plus list what anime series/movies that you possess.

I currently have the following Anime:
Ai Yori Aoshi
Golden Boy
Jungle De Ikuo
Puni Puni Poemi
Onegai Teacher
Cowboy Bebop
Ranma ½
Burn Up Excess - The Case of the Black Diamons

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Cowboy Bebop; I own the entire series and the movie. Unbeatable. Undeniably the best anime I have ever watched.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited August 2003
    I am on the 11th epsiode of Cowboy Bebop currently.
    I am 7 episodes into the first season Ranma ½ of which there are 7 seasons

Another thing, I prefer subtitled anime over dubbed. Subtitle preserves the quality of the video without making it seem corny.
    edited August 2003
    If you get a chance while you're watching Cowboy Bebop, watch the movie where it falls chronologically in the series. I believe that is between episodes 22 and 23. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here.

Ranma ½ was a bit too weird for me...
    edited August 2003
    I thought the movie was created after the last episode due to the fact that Spike went after Vicious and they both killed each other.

I understand the movie explains some things a little bit better.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I prefer 'non standard' product.

http://www.onlineanime.org/englishmisc/index.htm#EnglishMisc20

This link is not suitable for chlidren or those with weak hearts.
    edited August 2003
    So you prefer Hentai, Manga and Echii movies.

Hentai in Japanese is Pervert in english
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    i like dbz...and transformers...old skewl rtransformers..im currently in the process of buying all the boxed sets...so go me...i also like foly cooly...or however u spell iot...its weird as hell but it kiks azzz
    edited August 2003
    Fuly Culy or FLCL for short. There's only about 6 episodes of this.

I liked the original Transformers.

Too many episodes of Dragon Ball Z - 288 episodes, or about 12 seasons worth. And its not really that great of a series.
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited August 2003
    I used to watch Dragon Ball Z, enjoyed the plot mainly. Dragon Ball GT sucked donkey balls though. Why did Goku act like a child just because he was physically turned into one?!?!

Just checked out that "non standard" anime. Clicked on one picture and it was 'D*ck Madusa', made me laugh so much.

For anime lovers, check out the weebl & bob hentai episode, rather amusing.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    GHoosdum said
    Cowboy Bebop; I own the entire series and the movie. Unbeatable. Undeniably the best anime I have ever watched.

100% Agreed, I too have all the episodes and "The Movie" on DVD.

Knockin' on Heavens Door is purely awsome! Especially the faye scene :banghead:
    danball1976 said
    Fuly Culy or FLCL for short. There's only about 6 episodes of this.

I liked the original Transformers.

Too many episodes of Dragon Ball Z - 288 episodes, or about 12 seasons worth. And its not really that great of a series.

That Fooly Cooly show is weird as hell, anyone who doesn't like anime would hate anime even more so by watching this show becuase of how rediculous it is... yet I still watch it...:scratch:
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Well, although I don't watch much TV, I do enjoy the Aeon Flux series that aired on MTV back in the early 90's.

It's sort of 'American-anime' I think, and there are long episodes and short ones (about 3-4 mins), which are my favourite ones.

Aeon (the 'sexy' main character) doesn't speak in the short ones, but she always dies in them which I think is pretty cool becasue the star never dies in other cartoons.

~Cyrix
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    i also like anime, my all time favorit is Saint Seiya, currently watching Naruto, it's great so far, Hinata rules.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    If it's on, I watch it.

Otherwise I don't go out of my way for it.

Akira's the only movie which I will repeatedly watch. Slightly cliche, but worth it.
  • MancabusMancabus Charlottesville, VA
    edited August 2003
    Trigun is the shizzy, too bad there aren't that many episodes.
    Some of the Gundam stuff is entertaining as well.

DBZ is "The finest action cartoon on the planet" according to the good ol Toonami guy on cartoon network.

See my avatar. He is one of the best DBZ characters.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I'm not big on DBZ or Gundam stuff, but I like anime...

I have all of Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, FLCL, Battle Athletes Victory, Kare Kano, Noir, Record of Lodoss War, DNA^2 and most of Outlaw Star, Kenshin, GTO, Irresponsible Captain Taylor, Berserk, Flame or Recca, Fushigi Yugi, ./hack sign, s.CRY.ed, Utena, and a few others I've picked up.

OH, and every Initial D thingy there is!

I liked Bebop the best, followed by Initial D and Trigun, and Gargoyle and I are currently watching GTO. GTO rocks ballz.

I happen to _love_ FLCL, but nobody wants to watch it with me cuz they don't get it.

Everything I watch is dubbed if at all possible. I hate subs cuz they never get the voices or the dialogue right.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Evangelion, Vampire Hunter D, Witch Hunter Robin, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, old school Robotech, Berserk, Akira, Ninja Scroll, Gasaraki, Spriggan, s-CRY-ed, Hellsing, Ghost in the Shell-SAC, Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke (anything by Miyazaki is good), Macross 0, Jin-Roh, Heat Guy J, Wolf's Rain, and OMFG Kenshin are all the bomb!

Yeah I know I need help. Luckily my pocket book and other online methods can feed the Anime monkey on my back. A great site for review and anime info is:

http://www.point-blank.cc/

I don't dig DBZ or Pokemon or find Anime women attractive, but I love the action and the art.
  • edited August 2003
    FLCL... that the one where the things come out of that kid's forehead? I used to dislike it, but I think it's grown on me.

My fav's are Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and GTO (although GTO might not be considered anime, tell me if I'm wrong).

danball1976 said
    I thought the movie was created after the last episode due to the fact that Spike went after Vicious and they both killed each other.

I understand the movie explains some things a little bit better.

Thanks!
    /me throws yet unseen copy out the window. :grumble:
    edited August 2003
    Anybody see episodes of Initial D? It's about street car racing (not my personal favorite subject), but it's supposedly awesome.

:topic:
    SMJ,
    Dude, the fatherly side of me wants you to change your signature pictures, because I can't browse Short-Media while my kids are awake.....:hiding:

But the red-blooded heterosexual looks at JK and says OMFG everytime I see her. I swear she gets better looking every time I look.:wow2:
  • edited August 2003
    To be honest, I'm starting to wonder if I should change them as well. I'm getting sick of my parents rolling their eyes everytime they see me browsing the forums, let alone see my desktop.

*sigh*
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2003
    My taste for cartoons goes as far as Foghorn Leghorn and Daffy Duck.

bothered.
    edited August 2003
    bothered said
    My taste for cartoons goes as far as Foghorn Leghorn and Daffy Duck.

bothered.

Anime Old School style!

SMJ,
    Do I even want to ask what your desktop is? Mine is a tame picture of Alucard of Hellsing. Definitely not an Anime for kids to watch.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited August 2003
    Nice to see I'm not alone in disliking Anime. 10 other people have agreed with me thus far. I see anime t-shirts all the time and anime is all over the tv.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Preacher said
    Anybody see episodes of Initial D? It's about street car racing (not my personal favorite subject), but it's supposedly awesome.

I seen all the stages, and movies, it's alright, not that great, but entertainging enough to keep me interested thropugh all the episodes.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Me and Gargoyle finished Inital D last year and my other friends watched it and now have all the mangas. Its not the best, the story isn't groundbreaking and the animation kinda lacks, but its still a fun story (and its cool cuz a Toyota stomps rice Hondas).

IC11 has an Initial D wallpaper. Its a Corolla Levin for IC 11.
  • edited August 2003
    Preacher said
    SMJ,
    Do I even want to ask what your desktop is? Mine is a tame picture of Alucard of Hellsing. Definitely not an Anime for kids to watch.

Nothing worse than what's already in my sig. It's actually nearly the same pose she's doing in the SM18 stats. You can see it in the "Post your desk" thread, on the second monitor. The first showsa screenshot from Half Life 2.
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited August 2003
    I don't like anime ;[

or any cartoons anymore really...
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    This is an excerpt from an article I wrote about Animation a couple years ago.

They think that they are going to sell this anime stuff to kids. I believe that they will be sorely dissapointed by the sales. The reason: the Japanese don't believe that all cartoons are for kids.

It kind of irritates me that in America cartoons have received this odd reputation for being a medium solely designed for kids. Here's the thing: The reason people started making cartoons is because the special effects are so much easier when it's just a drawing. You can do anything that you want in a cartoon, there are no limits. The earliest cartoons in america, were showcases of this ability. If you watch an old Betty Boop, or Foxy cartoon, you'll see that it's a non-stop collaboration of animals dressed like people doing impossible things with their bodies, and all of the items (cars, mailboxes, houses, whatever) have faces and can talk. These cartoonists were cramming about as much sillyness as possible into a seven minute space. This was novel for awhile, but soon only children were able to appreciate the almost non-existent plot lines, and over used jokes and sight-gags.

The next evolution of cartoons came with the color. Things got less zany, and the humor became more based on the situation that the characters were in, rather than what they were able to do with their bodies. I guess you could say that it became less of a freak show. Although, the main characters were all still animals in the Warner Bros. cartoons. This stage in cartoons came in sync with the disney feature cartoons which portrayed real people, doing possible things. Still, the plots were lacking.

The reason that the cartoons never really developed into a more mature medium in America, is because they already had this stigma of being only for kids. Adults don't watch cartoons, because they are silly, and lacking in plot. If adults don't watch cartoons, then why make cartoons for adults. It's a simple marketing decision, but that doesn't mean that we should help perpetuate the cycle.

I've talked to many adults (It's just one of my hobbies). Sometimes they will ask for movie suggestions (just polite conversation). If I recommend an animated movie of any kind, I'm very likely to get this response: "Animated? Cartoons are for kids." A lot of people feel this way, and it's not just older people. Some of my peers (twenties) feel the same way, and the sad part is that they never give it a chance. To me, this is just as bad as saying, "It was made with a camera?! Bah! I can't watch movies with live actors!" See how silly that sounds?

Example: Saturday night I rented "DBZ: Tree of Might" for myself and four of my friends to watch. This is a good anime movie, that I knew that they would enjoy. Predictably, half of the group refused to watch it, on the grounds that it was a cartoon. They knew nothing about it, and dismissed it out-right, I was very dissapointed in them.

All that I'm trying to say with this is that you people (yes, you!) need to atleast give the animated shows the same chance that you give to other shows, and I don't mean watch one anime and make your decision about them based on that, they're not all the same like they used to be. Each show and movie is as individual as the shows and movies that rely on cameras and computers. Some are for children, some are for every one, and some are definitely for adults. Some are action oriented, some are romance oriented, some are dramatic, some are silly, and some are just plain stupid. But don't write them off because of the few stupid ones, or because you think that they are for children. You already know not to judge a book by it's cover. It's time that we all learn not to judge a show or a movie by its medium alone... You could really be missing out on something good.
    edited August 2003
    Wow, CB... these days it seems like DBZ is a really BAD example if you want to say that anime can be for adults... ;)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    The point wasen't that DBZ itself IS for adults. That is for each adult do decide for themselves. The point is that some people will never know, because they wont even watch a minute of it.
    edited August 2003
    And those two "adults" in the group won't give anime a chance, but they watch Monday Night RAW religiously... go figure!
This discussion has been closed.