Health Question

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Fitness
I know Tea is good for you... but in order to get over my Soda addiction I am drinking nothing but Tea becuase water is just plain GROSS. I mean a full LARGE pitcher a day of Tea. Lipton Cool Brew Tea. I add a bit of splenda and have been drinking it like mad to stop drinking soda. Frankly I have drank so much soda it's become noticible in howmuch weight gain I have.. and I drank alot before. :P

So I am stopping, even trying to lower the amount of splenda I take, and sometimes just drinking the tea without sweetener. I don't use that much splenda though, I've heard some stories about it.

Just curious... I know too much much of anything is bad, I figure this is better than the soda thing either way. But man I am pissing like an old man... who... pisses alot. Or something :tongue2:

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Anything in excess is bad. Try drinking some juice. There's apple, orange, grape, lemon. Hell! Make some of your own. Juicers are pretty good.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Lipton tea is pretty much the ass end of the tea quality scale. Some very healthy teas include chai (Without any dairy additives) and green tea. However, tea has caffeine in it, which is a diuretic, which means you're going to be expelling more water when you piss. You need to drink more water in a rate of 2:1 tea:water.

Try diet sodas, too. It took me 3-4 years to find ones I like, but I swear by Diet Pepsi, A&W Rootbeer and Diet Dr Pepper. Despite the claims of aspartame causing cancer, the FDA hasn't been able to even remotely verify those claims in 35 years. I'll let you know if I die from it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    An easy drink to fix, which is healthy, tasty, and inexpensive is lemonade. Either squeeze lemons or purchase lemon juice in the bottle, mix the juice with water, and add the sweetener of your choice. If you use artificial sweetener, then you don't even need to think about the calories.

The Crystal Lite beverages (powdered concentrate) are also very good and inexpensive.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Lipton tea is pretty much the ass end of the tea quality scale. Some very healthy teas include chai (Without any dairy additives) and green tea. However, tea has caffeine in it, which is a diuretic, which means you're going to be expelling more water when you piss. You need to drink more water in a rate of 2:1 tea:water.

Try diet sodas, too. It took me 3-4 years to find ones I like, but I swear by Diet Pepsi, A&W Rootbeer and Diet Dr Pepper. Despite the claims of aspartame causing cancer, the FDA hasn't been able to even remotely verify those claims in 35 years. I'll let you know if I die from it.

All expencive and I am trying to stay away from cokes, even diet ones.
    edited August 2006
    Aside from price.. Why?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I dont even drink pop anymore, I drink a lot of crystal light, it is really good (lemonade flavor) and it is at lest 98% water, because you might put a table spoon of powder(mix) to a half gallon of water.

I drink a little bit of pop, but maybe a pop once a month, I just dont care for it really.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Soda's are just not very healthy, I am eating healthier now and just working my way up... Soda's have sodium and stuff, amoungst other things that slow down the metabolism. Besides, Dr Pepper is the best and going to Coke Zero is not a small downgrade :P

I do buy the expencive teas as well... without caffine, I like green tea, and it has a strong enough taste that drinking without sweetener is actually preferable.. But Lipton is so much cheaper and ever since I have begun drinking so much tea... well my piss is clear instead of dark yellow and stinky LOL TMI, I know.... but funny imho :P
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited August 2006
    I buy my tea at the wall mart, they sell tea by the gallon and its not expensive.
    edited August 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    I buy my tea at the wall mart, they sell tea by the gallon and its not expensive.

You live in Kansas. The only thing you have is Wal*Mart. :range:
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    You live in Kansas. The only thing you have is Wal*Mart. :range:
    Hey buddy, according to CNN we're the 13th best place in the U.S. to live, we got a target too.....
    edited August 2006
    Ziiiiing. ;D
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2006
    Limeade!!!

401200cdvw025822_a2_1av1f3.jpg
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    Hey buddy, according to CNN we're the 13th best place in the U.S. to live, we got a target too.....

You're 13th best place to live because you're not a terrorist target?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I think we've hijacked this thread enough. Poor RWB is probably already drinking a liter of full strength sugary Coke out of frustration!
    edited August 2006
    I thought enid would be a safe place to be, but since we are the #1 training base....yeh, we have a big target.

anyway, I dont care for tea, but crystal light keeps my pee clear:D I just dont care for pop, I dont really know why, Id rather have water or something like that.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    tea has caffeine in it, which is a diuretic, which means you're going to be expelling more water when you piss.

Tea, is there nothing it can't do?
    edited August 2006
    As far as I am aware, no. Tea, I'm sure, is the UK equivalent of PHI. ;D
    edited August 2006
    bothered wrote:
    Tea, is there nothing it can't do?

The laundry?
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited August 2006
    RWB,

Good job on reducing your soda intake, it is really bad for us, even the diet kind. When Amanda and I do drink soda, it's either Pepsi One / Coke Zero, or Diet Dr Pepper. We still try to limit our intake to one or two (cans) per day, which is an accomplishment for me. Just a year or so ago, it was nothing for me to polish off a 3 LITER of regular Pepsi during a marathon gaming, or paper writing session.

Thrax is right, you can actually dehydrate yourself from drinking tea, and soda.

I get sick of water too, I just add a splash of lemon or lime juice to make it more palatetable. You can make one batch of tea a little weaker than normal to reduce the diuretic effects. Adding a lot of ice can help to.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Try see if you can get hold of some Rooibos Tea. It's exceptionally healthy and is good for all sorts of ailments. Great for dieting too. It contains no colors, additives or preservatives and no caffeine.

I normally put a few bags in a pot and boil it on the stove to draw maximum flavour. The Brits in the forums will brobably shoot me to learn I boil the tea to death, but Rooibos is a very different tea to the Ceylon variety.

You can have it with a slice of lemon or honey or add milk and sugar like I normally have it. It's best when hot, but you can have it cold liked iced tea.
    It has a kinda wild taste that takes getting used to initially, but it definitely grows on you :D
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I tried the water and lemon thing... I'll just stick with Tea and see how it goes :P Dehydration from soda or dehydration from tea... I choose tea. I actually like it alot more, but a soda is nice to have from time to time. Same as alcohol.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    A year ago it wasn't uncommon for me to drin, five or six cans of Coke a day. I've been caffeine/pop free for a year now. I lost fifteen pounds in about a month after quitting pop. Ignore the enormous headache of when you first quit.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Never got a headache as some peple say.... I've quit before, several times for a month to a couple months at a time... then go back to drinking a 12 pack every couple days... no headaches. But it's hard to say becuase of a neck injury I have that cuases a massive headache when I accidently pop my neck... dunno why that happens sense the xrays and everything look normal but it started after a car accident I was in back in highschool... and it only happens after poping the neck or high upper back.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited August 2006
    I'm trying to quit soda to. I've been drinking Nestea Iced Tea lately, and I know it's not that much of an improvement, but were getting somewhere. I have to try this crystal lite stuff. Anyway, I can't help having soda when everone else around me is having some, and when we have foods like Pizza and stuff where you just sort of need soda.
  • Not meaning to necro, but I always remembered this thread.
    A few years ago my wife and I started drinking lot's of diet soda with aspartame. We quit two weeks ago after I found these:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16507461
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17805418

I realize these tests are on rats, but we don't feel like risking it. We basically drink water and coffee now. Occasional juice, beer, and wine. I'm still on the fence about Splenda and Stevia. My new strategy for our health is to just stop being addicted to sweet.
    The results of this mega-experiment indicate that APM is a multipotential carcinogenic agent, even at a daily dose of 20 mg/kg body weight, much less than the current acceptable daily intake. On the basis of these results, a reevaluation of the present guidelines on the use and consumption of APM is urgent and cannot be delayed.
  • Also keep in mind certain healthy foods do a pretty good job of hydrating you. Mellons, Grapes, Cucumbers, Bell Pepers, Berrys. If you find plain water that objectionable, eating some of your water may be a good way to balance your diet with some fruits and veggies anyway.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Put a bit of lemon or orange in your water. Gives it a little sweetness without adding more than a negligible amount of calories. I just don't care for sodas myself.
    edited April 2013
    For every one study that claims to prove aspartame as a carcinogen, there are five with no conclusive evidence. The preponderance of evidence suggests that it's fine. Even the origins of the anti-aspartame crusade is outrageously suspicious, started by a woman who claimed to be a medical professional... with no medical training of any kind. The biblical flood of bogus claims originating from her have been repeated ad nauseum, so much that they're considered fact.

However, the largest-ever study on aspartame, conducted by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), proved no toxicity after performing a meta-analysis on 600 data sets:
    In September 2011, the EFSA made all 600 datasets it is using in its full re-evaluation available publicly. This includes previously unpublished scientific data, "including the 112 original studies on aspartame which were submitted to support the request for authorisation of aspartame in Europe in the early 1980s." On January 8, 2013, the EFSA released its draft report, which found that aspartame and its metabolites "pose no toxicity concern for consumers at current levels of exposure. The current Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) is considered to be safe for the general population and consumer exposure to aspartame is below this ADI."
    malia
  • I thought this was the largest every study based on time and participants:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23097267
    where as what you are referring to is largely an overview of existing studies.

However, this one
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23097267
    was also inconclusive largely because the study itself was huge and it is hard to differentiate between correlation vs causation.

So I understand there isn't solid evidence out there for humans, but we just aren't taking the risk based on more tightly controlled studies that show there is a risk on rats without doubt. Largely because we are considering having kids soon, and when you are at that stage of your life all the sudden you get super paranoid about this stuff.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2013

but we just aren't taking the risk

If that's why you gave up what you did, I don't believe any study in the world on either end of the spectrum is going to matter. If you feel it's a risk you'd rather not take, good for you guys and have fun in the baby-making department! :D