What does anyone think about Bar-B-Q?

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Community
In 2006 I grilled steaks for those willing to take the chance on paying for the meat and side dishes. It went over pretty good, except i got a bit overwhelmed byt the sheer magnitude and Brian's gas grill converted to charcoal.

I am willing to grill again if there is enough interest for one of the afternoons. I would also like a person or two to help if anyone is up to it. If there isn't a big enough grill we can build a pit with bricks and some old oven racks or something with a real wood fire. So lets see a show of posts for those interested as well as those wishing to lend a hand. I expect it to be around $10 a head for a big arse honkin steak and all the trimmings. (exact cost to be determined just prior to grill time)

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Just to be clear: there will not be room for a pit bbq, as awesome as that sounds.

I still have the same gas-to-charcoal monstrosity, but man does it make food taste good :D
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I will eat most anything that once walked on four legs, and I like to grill so I will help out if you need an extra hand.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I could be in for grilling. ICHQ cooked meals generally go over very well as they save people a bit of cash and require less running around.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    You don't need to dig a pit/hole to have a BBQ like that. Take some bricks on the patio, arrange them in a square, fill with charcoal/wood, put grates from grill/oven on top and poof!
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I love me some meats. I would love to say "in" but how will this line up with the Food tour? My tummy has shrunk a bit and I can't pack it away like I used to. :-P

-Bobby
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    let me rephrase: there is not going to be any room to build/dig/construct. In addition, I don't want a barbecue pit being built on my patio :D
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'm sure some locals have some gas or charcoal grills we could borrow....
    edited May 2010
    Prime's grill works fine, I was just making alternative suggestions if you needed more room.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I had to read this thread cause down here Bar-b-q is bar-b-q not grilling.
    I love bbq, The most basic definition is pork cooked over a low smoky fire
    to the point where it can be pulled apart by hand add sauce and made into sandwiches.
    Hmmmm Hmmmm Good and a few pork shoulders would feed almost all.
    Grilling is good but no match for good old bbq.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I can deal with no pit but may have a grill in reserve if we need more space.

DogDragon
    I am well versed in all the varioations of Southern Bar-B-Q from Texas brisket to Tennessee dry rub to Carolina and Louisiana styles. I can also do custom sauces like Peach-Jalipino for pulled pork. This would take a lot more work and prep if anyone was truely interested.
    edited May 2010
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    I can also do custom sauces like Peach-Jalipino for pulled pork. This would take a lot more work and prep if anyone was truely interested.
    If anyone had pulled pork they will know That's the Bomb :respect:
    It beats steak hands down and custom sauces is the crown for it.
    Guess you can see I would be interested and happy to help in any way :D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Bobby1211 wrote:
    I love me some meats. I would love to say "in" but how will this line up with the Food tour? My tummy has shrunk a bit and I can't pack it away like I used to. :-P

-Bobby

Last time he just picked the food tour stop he was least interested in, and grilled out for everyone else who wasn't interested in that food tour stop. I assume that is the way it'll go down again.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I would be interested in BBQ (or grilling, whatever the hell moniker you want to put on it). I'd also be interested in assisting. Of course this all depends on which day it's on.
    edited May 2010
    Hey Goat
    How about going all the way and have a whole hog(pig) roast :D
    That would be an event :) But ICHQ is not a beach :(
    But, Danm that would be fun. :bigggrin:
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I would be interested, but it may depend on the food tour. For example, I'm not particularly interested in the Pizza stop on the tour and would love some Mt_Goat style steaks instead. I'd be willing to help, etc. but it all hinges on what day you want to do it because I honestly get full on the big meal we eat during the tour.

Also would I need to bring my own plate/utensils or is ICHQ willing to let us use theirs?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    It looks like there is a following emerging for the grillfest! I am willing to go the distance since it looks like there are some willing victims to help out and I DO HAVE A GRILL TO BRING!!! It isn't anything fancy by any means and I will see if I can stock up on some Alder and Mesquite as well as some of the ingredients for the sauces. I think Pork, Links, Ribs and Steaks should round things out.

I am still not sure on exactly when but will announce that prior to the week of EXPO. I will just get some paper plates and plastic ware so as to not have dishes or intrude on existing equipment. ;) I think a nice honey-bourbon sauce for the ribs would be good. ;)
    edited May 2010
    Winfrey wrote:
    I would be interested, but it may depend on the food tour. For example, I'm not particularly interested in the Pizza stop on the tour and would love some Mt_Goat style steaks instead. I'd be willing to help, etc.
    Sorry Prime grilling does sound better than pizza, But I do plan to hit a couple
    places on the food tour.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    meant to post here weeks ago

I am in, and I'm pretty sure Alidra is in. I will bring some AMAZING BBQ sauce, Blues Hog BBQ and help with the grillin' if needed
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I'm not really into steak but ribs sound great. I'd be fine with burgers or hot dogs really. I wouldn't know the first thing about grilling though, I rarely tread far from my mini-oven.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Obsidian wrote:
    I wouldn't know the first thing about grilling though, I rarely tread far from my mini-oven.

That's bad. We need to correct this.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    For those who don't know, Larry cooks an incredible BBQ. Recommended, would consume again+++
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Sounds yummy! I would recommend we plan this in the schedule sometime instead of forcing people to choose this or the food tour.
    edited June 2010
    Some people already choose this over the food tour, which is why Larry does it.
    edited June 2010
    I'd probably choose this over the food tour on whichever night it ended up being on.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    I'd probably choose this over the food tour on whichever night it ended up being on.
    Same.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Have we hammered down a date for this? If not, we should because of the poll for Food Tour. Mt_Goat, when are you getting in?
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I think we should roast a pig over the pond. We'll make a floating flame barge and put the pig right in the middle. Then have a USB powered rotisserie motor to spin the pig. Best EPIC ever.
    edited June 2010
    j wrote:
    I think we should roast a pig over the pond. We'll make a floating flame barge and put the pig right in the middle. Then have a USB powered rotisserie motor to spin the pig. Best EPIC ever.

:D This sounds AWESOME. I've already started engineering the whole thing in my head. I think I need to talk to some of my college chums that participated in concrete canoe competition for the floating fire pit.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    :D This sounds AWESOME. I've already started engineering the whole thing in my head. I think I need to talk to some of my college chums that participated in concrete canoe competition for the floating fire pit.

This seems like something that should get a nod before getting all your gears in a whir. Just throwing that out there.
    edited June 2010
    Oh, I know it's not going to happen, but when someone throws something like that out I can't help but start engineering it in my head.