First Icrontimondo Challenge - August blitz for calories!

the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1Indy Icrontian
edited August 2010 in Fitness
2-week Icrontic blitz. Most calories burned with any sport wins.

Be sure your height and weight are in your Endomondo profile well in advance, and let's see what you can do! (people can't see your details, but they're needed for calculating calories)

<iframe src="http://www.endomondo.com/embed/challenge?c=qlgfWEsa3TY&user=186723&width=500&height=500&quot; width="500" height="500" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I'm going to england for 2 weeks but I signed up just to see if I can keep up the running while I'm over there.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    eff, I can't join in until the 22nd at the earliest.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I need to get in on this.

How does one join in? I'll likely loose, but I need to get back on track with my weight loss program, past few weeks have been... meh.... :rolleyes:
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Well that's not fair, some of us just can't burn the same amount of calories, even if we ran all day! :P
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Well that's not fair, some of us just can't burn the same amount of calories, even if we ran all day! :P

Why is that?
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Why is that?

If you weigh less, you burn less calories when working out since your heart rate won't go as high and you don't have the fat to burn off. It's really as simple as that....

Good example of this is I can do 30 minutes of INTENSE weight training and only burn 100 calories but then there are people who can do an hour of cycling and loose closer to 1000 calories or more. It's VERY weight dependent.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    If you weigh less, you burn less calories when working out since your heart rate won't go as high and you don't have the fat to burn off. It's really as simple as that....

Good example of this is I can do 30 minutes of INTENSE weight training and only burn 100 calories but then there are people who can do an hour of cycling and loose closer to 1000 calories or more. It's VERY weight dependent.

This is all true. Additionally, men burn more calories than women since they have more muscle.
    edited August 2010
    This is all true. Additionally, men burn more calories than women since they have more muscle.

I understand the weight-to-calorie ratio, but it's fair. If I run for a mile and someone 50 lbs heavier than me runs for a mile, they should get the extra calorie credit, since it was a lot easier for me than it was for them.

Basically, to run the same 10-minute mile, they're straining and I'm not.

My stance would be that if both people ran a mile, and both strained the same amount, the calories will come out the same, and the mile times will be different.
    edited August 2010
    I understand the weight-to-calorie ratio, but it's fair. If I run for a mile and someone 50 lbs heavier than me runs for a mile, they should get the extra calorie credit, since it was a lot easier for me than it was for them.

Basically, to run the same 10-minute mile, they're straining and I'm not.

My stance would be that if both people ran a mile, and both strained the same amount, the calories will come out the same, and the mile times will be different.

This is why I suggested doing something OTHER then a calorie counter one on the Icrontic endomundo page. My heart rate is usually around 60 or so and when I do my weight training it jumps to around ~100 or so. 124 has been my max so far.

I'm still going to participate but I know for a FACT I'm not going to win. I was already VERY much in shape when I joined the team ;D

"straining" as little to do with it, it contributes a bit but it's not a major factor as far as calories are concerned. :thumbup
    edited August 2010
    You're more than capable of running 3 miles in 30 minutes with the same level of effort someone heavier would do 3 miles in 45 minutes, and the calories come out the same.

I'm 160 lbs and have been in at least one competition or another on Endo since June - I can always match anyone's calories by putting forth the same level of effort they do. If they try hard and do a 5K in 45 minutes, I try hard and do a 5K in 30... and our calories come out the same.

You could easily join a mileage competition and wipe the floor with anyone heavier than you - it's easier for you to rack up the miles.

Likewise, you could easily do a minute competition and get destroyed by someone heavier than you, simply because you work out extremely hard for 45 minutes 3x a week, and they're on a treadmill at a stumbling-slow walk for 120 minutes, not even breaking a sweat.

In the competitions I've been in that are 'All sports', the only fair measurement has been calories. It's a measurement of amount of work performed, which can be fairly applied to all people, all sports, IMHO
    edited August 2010
    I suppose but I'm working out to GAIN weight. Not loose it and I think that's the big difference here :p

Loosing weight for me would be a VERY bad thing...
    edited August 2010
    I'm not trying to gain or lose, just doing cardio for health. You burn more, you eat more
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I've been entering my runs/bike rides manually since I cant get the phone app to work.

The draw your route feature works well.
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I use it for planning routes :)
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    How do I join this challenge? I'm in the group, but can't find the challenge.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    skryking wrote:
    I'm going to england for 2 weeks but I signed up just to see if I can keep up the running while I'm over there.

Depending on where you are staying here in the UK could dictate that running is the wisest way to stay safe :eek:

I will join this.
    edited August 2010
    WagsFTW wrote:
    How do I join this challenge? I'm in the group, but can't find the challenge.

It's just a public challenge - no way to assign challenges to teams yet.

http://www.endomondo.com/challenge/qlgfWEsa3TY
    edited August 2010
    I'm winning! (lol, from 0 to 64 calories for 1 dog-walk)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Not anymore! I put in my bike ride to work yesterday...hasn't updated yet. (66 cals ;))
    edited August 2010
    bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

edit: OHSHI-WAGSATTACK
    edited August 2010
    you guys scared me so I decided to run around the neighborhood. ;)

Ow.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    There's really no way to do this if you work out on a treadmill in a gym is there? I do all my running indoors because 1) bad knees (elliptical machines are about the only way I can run without being in total pain) and 2) my mountain bike is in serious need of repair and I haven't had the time/money to do it.
    edited August 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    There's really no way to do this if you work out on a treadmill in a gym is there? I do all my running indoors because 1) bad knees (elliptical machines are about the only way I can run without being in total pain) and 2) my mountain bike is in serious need of repair and I haven't had the time/money to do it.

manually input your time and distance, as well as your height and weight in your endomondo profile.

Just be sure to find out what you need to do to burn equivalent calories. For example, someone on a treadmill needs to put it at 2% incline to appoximate the difficulty of walking outside.

You *could* cheat and put the eliptical on 0% resistance and just spin for 2 miles, but who would you be cheating? :)
    edited August 2010
    I have no interest in cheating as I would actually like to lose some of this blubber I've accumulated. Not that I ever will. I've tried all sorts of diets and exercise in the past but have never been able to appreciably diminish the gut I have.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Oh yeah...I should get started on this.
    edited August 2010
    Hrmm... been poking around the site. What would I classify working out on an elliptical machine as? I don't think it's as much of a workout as actual running... but I don't see a different classification it would seem to fit under.
    edited August 2010
    Annes wrote:
    Oh yeah...I should get started on this.

:D
    edited August 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    Hrmm... been poking around the site. What would I classify working out on an elliptical machine as? I don't think it's as much of a workout as actual running... but I don't see a different classification it would seem to fit under.

How long does it take you to do a mile, according to the machine?

My guess would be

>20 min = walking
    middle = fitness walking
    <14 min = running

But I suppose that would be different per person. Maybe strides per min would be a better measurement
    edited August 2010
    it just occurred to me that Greg might see this.

*hopes the mailman doesn't see this* :)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Karl Malone reads Icrontic?